Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2017 · Sloths fighting

juankgigo
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sloths fighting

Just how many times have you seen two three-toed sloths fighting?

Well in my case I have never seen pictures except for mine!

The younger sloth, on thop, is screaming as the much bigger on bottom is biting the former one.

They have probably been fighting over a roosting tree, which in turn also provides food, at the end the bigger and older sloth won the battle and the young guy had to look for a new tree to live on. Image taken in Costa Rica.

Aug 12, 2017 at 03:31 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sloths fighting

Good catch! Was it a slow-motion fight?

Aug 12, 2017 at 03:57 PM
juankgigo
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sloths fighting

bobbytan wrote:
Good catch! Was it a slow-motion fight?

Very fast instead.

Aug 12, 2017 at 04:07 PM
louie champan
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sloths fighting

What a great shot.

Aug 12, 2017 at 05:36 PM
juankgigo
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sloths fighting

louie champan wrote:
What a great shot.

Thanks Louie!

Aug 12, 2017 at 07:09 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sloths fighting

Wow !! Fantastic shot Juan and such beautiful light and processing.

Birdie

Aug 12, 2017 at 07:32 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sloths fighting

Super shot Juan ~ Ron

Aug 12, 2017 at 09:29 PM
frdjohns
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sloths fighting

A tremendous capture. Excellent detail, exposure, story - just everything.

Aug 12, 2017 at 09:40 PM
jdc562
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sloths fighting

I have seen a lot of sloths from my time in the jungle in Panama. I have carried many sloths across the road at night because they move so slowly when crossing on their own and I didn't want them to get hit by a vehicle. Unlike the two-toed, the three-toed are so slow and non-aggressive that I could just pick them up by their front claws and they didn't make any attempts to attack me at all. Nor did they ever scream. They just seemed amused. As you describe, that contrast in behavior makes your photo unique and interesting. Moreover, it's very nicely photographed. Thanks very much for the treat.

Aug 12, 2017 at 11:02 PM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sloths fighting

great shot Juan

Aug 13, 2017 at 03:45 AM
juankgigo
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sloths fighting

jdc562 wrote:
I have seen a lot of sloths from my time in the jungle in Panama. I have carried many sloths across the road at night because they move so slowly when crossing on their own and I didn't want them to get hit by a vehicle. Unlike the two-toed, the three-toed are so slow and non-aggressive that I could just pick them up by their front claws and they didn't make any attempts to attack me at all. Nor did they ever scream. They just seemed amused. As you describe, that contrast in behavior makes your photo unique and interesting.
...Show more

So happy to read how you have helped sloths in Panama. I've done the same in CR.

Aug 13, 2017 at 02:05 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sloths fighting

in the US & Canada, wildlife biologist have created tunnels and/or overpasses to allow animals to cross roads safely

many species cross only in certain areas - that might be something a wildlife organization could look into and advocate in CR, Panama, and etc.

Aug 13, 2017 at 04:38 PM
MikeMancil
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sloths fighting

Very well captured and an interesting story... Mike

Aug 13, 2017 at 05:28 PM
marcy45
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sloths fighting

is all that done in "slooooooow" motion - great shots BTW

Aug 13, 2017 at 05:29 PM
juankgigo
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Sloths fighting

rw11 wrote:
in the US & Canada, wildlife biologist have created tunnels and/or overpasses to allow animals to cross roads safely

many species cross only in certain areas - that might be something a wildlife organization could look into and advocate in CR, Panama, and etc.

We have tried but we need more help from the goverment and people must realize how important it is.

Aug 13, 2017 at 05:36 PM
jdc562
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Sloths fighting

rw11 wrote:

I fully support the efforts to build crossings as the construction of major highways continues to partition the natural, big, ranges of highly mobile mammals. However, it's unlikely that animals like sloths would ever become aware of such crossings or take the days, or weeks, or months to detour to these crossings. I also helped boa constrictors that were very vulnerable as they poked along and stretched across a whole lane at a time. It is doubtful that these snakes would also seek out these crossings. My experiences were on very rural, 2-lane, roads that were relatively lightly travelled by vehicles at night. Most governments would probably not bother building fence and crossing combinations on these roads. However, many parts of Latin America are rapidly developing bigger roads to the detriment of wildlife. Because wildlife are big tourist attractions, maybe wise governments will increase protections as roads become wider and more heavily travelled.

I'd also like to point out that nature photographs like the stand-out ones of Juan Carlos are very important to popularize wildlife and to provide incentives for protecting these natural assets.

Aug 13, 2017 at 05:55 PM
psharvic
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Sloths fighting

A great experience captured very well.

Aug 13, 2017 at 06:06 PM
juankgigo
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Sloths fighting

jdc562 wrote:
"I fully support the efforts to build crossings as the construction of major highways continues to partition the natural, big, ranges of highly mobile mammals"

I'd also like to point out that nature photographs like the stand-out ones of Juan Carlos are very important to popularize wildlife and to provide incentives for protecting these natural assets.

So glad to read how you help wildlife. I do too and you are right about the goverment not bothering in creating these "tunnels" to help wildlife.
Some private lodges and individuals have used rope attached to two trees to help monkeys (three species of them) during the daytime and anteaters and silky anteaters at night. So yes, we all can do something.

Aug 13, 2017 at 07:34 PM
sritri
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Sloths fighting

Double wow!!

Aug 13, 2017 at 07:55 PM
juankgigo
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Sloths fighting

psharvic wrote:
A great experience captured very well.

Thanks!

Aug 14, 2017 at 04:52 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.