Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Film Docs/Corp. Entirely in 4K or Mix HD, esp. when trave...

Auster24

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Film Docs/Corp. Entirely in 4K or Mix HD, esp. when traveling? Using Canon 1DX Mark II.

Iíve enjoyed reading this forum and just became a member! I have a workflow question. It's subjective but I'd appreciate any feedback or tales of your experiences.

I produce short documentaries and corporate videos. Iím going on an international assignment soon. The shoot will require traveling to multiple countries and in each country, there will be at least two in-depth interviews with local subjects. Each interview will last 30 - 40 minutes. Appropriate b-roll to follow.

Iíve used a Canon C300 and 5D Mark III on past assignments. Iím thinking of leaving them behind to bring just one camera with me: the Canon 1DX Mark II. My thinking is that the 1DX doubles as a still and video camera and itís so much lighter to carry than my previous setup.

My main question is do you recommend filming the entire project in 4K? Or film the interviews in HD and opt for 4K for the b-roll? Iím new to 4K (and the 1DX Mark II) but like the prospect of having 4:2:2 color space and the ability to create a second camera feel, like zooming into the 4K footage for a close-up and panning to give the appearance of a slider (another routine piece of my kit that I may leave behind).

Iíll have a 512GB CFast card and a 64GB Compact Flash. My laptop is a late 2015 MacBook Pro and Iíll have one 4TB external hard drive. Premiere CC 2017 is my video editor.

The final product will be two 5 -7 minute videos. The client is open to either 4K or HD, so it's my call on which setting to use.

Aug 12, 2017 at 07:47 PM
riokid
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Film Docs/Corp. Entirely in 4K or Mix HD, esp. when traveling? Using Canon 1DX Mark II.

Welcome to FM.

Before we go deeper into your questions:

Would you be confortable going on a multiple country assigment with just ONE camera body?

Aug 12, 2017 at 09:01 PM
Auster24

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Film Docs/Corp. Entirely in 4K or Mix HD, esp. when traveling? Using Canon 1DX Mark II.

Yes and no. My normal setup of the C300 and 5D Mark III is only used for interviews, with the 5D as a B cam. All my other footage is filmed with the C300; the 5D only comes out for stills and time lapses.

The 1DXM2 becomes my A camera in this new setup. So what is the purpose of a 5D? If I bring it, I'd have to shoot in HD bec the video quality would be too stark (l'm guessing) if I mixed 4K with the 5D. Are you suggesting the 5D can serve as a backup if the 1DXM2 has technical problems?

That leads me to bring the C300, which also solves the 4K or HD question. But the C300 is bulky because I use the Canon monitor/audio attachment. (I also have a bulky third party handle to hold the monitor and my wireless lavs and/or shotgun mic; the Canon top handle can't handle all three.)

I suppose my question is also a travel/packing one. For my last travel assignment, I flew cross-country with the C300, 5D, three lenses, the C300 monitor attachment, a separate EVF, lavs and a shotgun mic, a tripod, a monopod, light stand, and a slider. I fit it all into two bags but I always had to assemble and disassemble the C300 whenever I used it. (A kitted-out C300 can't fit in the bag.)

If I bring a similar setup on the international trip, mixing international train rides and an intra-Europe flight, it will test my endurance. So if the 4K of the 1DXM2 can simulate a two camera shoot, is that worth it? That's what I ask myself - and the forum.

(I should add that I just purchased a Glidecam that I intend to use as a replacement for the slider while traveling. The 1DXM2 is the intended camera for that.)

Edited on Aug 12, 2017 at 10:28 PM · View previous versions

Aug 12, 2017 at 10:18 PM
Milan Hutera
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Film Docs/Corp. Entirely in 4K or Mix HD, esp. when traveling? Using Canon 1DX Mark II.

Welcome, too bad FM doesn't have a dedicated video board yet, because this would be an ideal topic to discuss there. Most of us are stills shooters here.

I'd say if you have the equipment, then what the hell, shoot 4K and you'll have, let's say more of a future proof material. Full HD, while still a good format, is a bare minimum now and not something I would aim to to, if I was going for a large assignment.

And if iJustine and company can vlog in 4K (pointless to do since a lot of times it's a video of a talking head and out of focus a great amount of time, because of no dual pixel AF on Sony's cams), then you should definitely go with 4K.

Aug 12, 2017 at 10:27 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

riokid
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Film Docs/Corp. Entirely in 4K or Mix HD, esp. when traveling? Using Canon 1DX Mark II.

If I read your post correctly, you wanted to go shoot an important assignment with just ONE camera. I saw that you got it all figured out and rationalized that one camera would do.

On an assignment in Zimbabwe, long time ago, after trekking in the rough terrain for over 12 hours, my main camera fell off the truck and would not talk to me anymore. Guess what? The second (backup) camera saved the day, the assignment and my sanity. I did not have to cancel the assigment and go back home without completing the project.

When I go out on a commisioned project, I carry at least 2 cameras. One as a main camera and another one (preferably the same model) as a backup just in case the main camera develops a problem. If i have an assistant, then the person brings a similarly capable equipment.

So in your case, If you wanted to shoot with 1DX II, ideally you would bring a second 1DX II. If you do not own a second 1DX II you can always rent one for the duration of the shoot. The added weight and space that would be taken by the second camera would be minimal.

Good luck on your project

Aug 13, 2017 at 01:10 AM
StevenSHH

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Film Docs/Corp. Entirely in 4K or Mix HD, esp. when traveling? Using Canon 1DX Mark II.

Let's hope Canon make the next mirrorless FF WITH 4K.
Why not sell the 5D III and get a good copy of EOS 1D C (4K, no 30 mins limit) used?
That way it's actually perfect.
Same setup everything even batteries. Less to worry about.
Or buy refurbished 5D IV / used after selling 5D iii.

Edited on Aug 13, 2017 at 03:24 AM · View previous versions

Aug 13, 2017 at 02:22 AM
Isaacheus
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Film Docs/Corp. Entirely in 4K or Mix HD, esp. when traveling? Using Canon 1DX Mark II.

Are you able to take the c300 as a backup? That way you could test the 1dx2 as a main camera, but have a backup in case the worst happened. You might not need as many extras for the c300 if it was the backup?

Aug 13, 2017 at 02:27 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password