1       2       3      
       end

LensRentals 16-35mm f/2.8 GM MTF Tests

Parariss
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · LensRentals 16-35mm f/2.8 GM MTF Tests

RCicala wrote:
Actually, although I didn't put it in the report, at infinity the GM is 16.5-34mm.

I test stuff for 3 days on a half-million dollars worth of equipment just to confirm what Fred already knows

Yeah, well, that makes sense:
"MTF" = Measuring The Fred...

Aug 14, 2017 at 10:18 PM
GabrielPhoto
• • •
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · LensRentals 16-35mm f/2.8 GM MTF Tests

Fred Miranda wrote:
I actually like that the GM zoom is a bit wider. The RX1R Sonnar 35mm is even wider..

Wait!! You said the GM starts at 16.5mm...One more argument to convince myself to keep both and use the 12-24mm for the 12-16mm range!

Sure like you need a lot of convincing to keep both.

Aug 15, 2017 at 02:29 AM
Brandon Dube
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · LensRentals 16-35mm f/2.8 GM MTF Tests

RCicala wrote:
Actually, although I didn't put it in the report, at infinity the GM is 16.5-34mm.

I test stuff for 3 days on a half-million dollars worth of equipment just to confirm what Fred already knows

Try 10 of them and see how big the range is for where the zoom cam stops I bet that's another depth in the rabbit hole of variance!

Aug 15, 2017 at 03:09 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · LensRentals 16-35mm f/2.8 GM MTF Tests

GMPhotography wrote:
Might be due to a little more contrast. We need to remember the 35 1.4 is a dream boat at 1.4,1.7 and F2 as well

Yes, the 35/1.4ZA is more contrasty and that contributes to the more saturated colors as well. So, for sure, higher contrast is one of the reasons it appears sharper than the zoom. However, the main reason is because the prime is stopped down 2 stops for this comparison and the zoom is wide open!

Considering all this and after contrast is equalized in post, the GM zoom performs great at 35mm in comparison to the prime and that's its weakest focal length!

Of course we are not talking about blur. The 35/1.4ZA melts the background at f/1.4-f/1.7 and that's why I own the prime.

Aug 15, 2017 at 03:22 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · LensRentals 16-35mm f/2.8 GM MTF Tests

Brandon Dube wrote:
Try 10 of them and see how big the range is for where the zoom cam stops I bet that's another depth in the rabbit hole of variance!

Oh no! We'll never stop!

Aug 15, 2017 at 03:24 AM
3catsinky
• • • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · LensRentals 16-35mm f/2.8 GM MTF Tests

given the versatility and image quality of the zoom, I'd probably part with my most excellent and centered copy of the 35ZA to get the zoom.

Aug 15, 2017 at 11:39 AM
Viramati
• • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · LensRentals 16-35mm f/2.8 GM MTF Tests

For the first time I have been out shooting all day on a project covering the Thames estuary. So far all seems good though looking at the images I can see that I need to focus further out into the scene than I thought I would have to at 16mm and f8 so as to get an even sharpness across the frame with more distant objects (towards the edges) and have the foreground in focus. I believe there is some curvature but not to the degree of the ZA. I can see it will need some more practice to get it right.

Aug 15, 2017 at 03:42 PM
pleaseshoot

p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · LensRentals 16-35mm f/2.8 GM MTF Tests

3catsinky wrote:
given the versatility and image quality of the zoom, I'd probably part with my most excellent and centered copy of the 35ZA to get the zoom.

Let me know if/when you decide to put it up for sale

Aug 15, 2017 at 04:31 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Haolejc808

p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · LensRentals 16-35mm f/2.8 GM MTF Tests

Hi. New to this site. New to photography! I have a Sony 24-70mm f2.8 and I'm interested in a possible swap with anyone who purchased the 16-35. I take more landscape photos and would benefit more from it. Lens is practically brand new with only a few uses. It's a great lens but I bought on a whim and should have waited. Any questions please let me know. Mahalo!

Aug 16, 2017 at 03:57 AM
chiron
• • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · LensRentals 16-35mm f/2.8 GM MTF Tests

Haolejc808 wrote:
Hi. New to this site. New to photography! I have a Sony 24-70mm f2.8 and I'm interested in a possible swap with anyone who purchased the 16-35. I take more landscape photos and would benefit more from it. Lens is practically brand new with only a few uses. It's a great lens but I bought on a whim and should have waited. Any questions please let me know. Mahalo!

Hi Haole.

Welcome, but I am afraid that you have some catching up to do in terms of how the site operates. There is a buy-sell forum, which is the exclusive place to post buy-sell-trade messages, and which you should familiarize yourself with. You have to join (fee=$50 annually) to sell there, but not to buy. As a new member, you have no prior feedback from other transactions, so it will likely be extremely hard to do a trade, which requires very high levels of trust in both partners. It may even be difficult to sell your lens without feedback, though you should be able to buy the lens you want via Paypal payments. In your situation, you may be best with ebay (if you have feedback there) or with a camera store like KEH (you'll take a beating).

You could stick with the fine 24-70GM and also pick up a used 16-35 f/4. You'll likely find applications for both lenses. On the other hand, if you accept that you are likely to lose some money, you should be able to sell your lens and buy what you now want.

If I have some of this wrong, someone more knowledgeable will chip in to correct me or perhaps to offer alternative advice.

Good luck!

Aug 16, 2017 at 05:02 AM
Messier77
• •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · LensRentals 16-35mm f/2.8 GM MTF Tests

Have you seen any stormchasing pictures from this year taken using the 12-24mm? It came out early enough that some of the July chasers would have been able to pick up a copy and use it for chasing.

Jacknut16 wrote:
I too Chased with the Batis 18mm and the 24-70GM, and again, agreed yes, the 18mm just wasn't quite wide enough for the most of the closer stuff. On the other hand I think that 16mm isn't quite either. in 2016 I shot with the 10-18 (which is a 15mm basically) and it wasn't quite wide enough at times, although I got great shots at Leoti with it. If I had a 10m-12mm at the time the shots would have been even more epic.

I think the versatility of the 12-24 is going to help frame supercell shots and that is
...Show more

Aug 16, 2017 at 02:09 PM
Jacknut16
• •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · LensRentals 16-35mm f/2.8 GM MTF Tests

Unfortunately no, I'm looking through my stuff and 90+% of the time it seems like the sun isn't an issue in shots due to enough cloud cover. So I'm tentatively sticking with it for now... The flare only seems to be an issue when the sun is midday if I'm not mistaken. I have been thinking about the 16-35 and the 12mm Laowa over the 12-24 though too. But then that's a lot of overlap with the 24-70 GM. decisions never end.

Messier77 wrote:
Have you seen any stormchasing pictures from this year taken using the 12-24mm? It came out early enough that some of the July chasers would have been able to pick up a copy and use it for chasing.

Aug 16, 2017 at 04:58 PM
singularity001

p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · LensRentals 16-35mm f/2.8 GM MTF Tests

Just finished testing my 16-35 GM. At 18mm it did really well against my 18mm Batis no real noticeable difference other than a minor difference in color and contrast, at 24mm it was decent against my 24-70GM with the 24-70 having a slight edge in center sharpness but I did start to notice a drop off in sharpness on the right corner... but it was a bit subtle so it didn't bug me too much. But then at 35mm from the right mid zone down to the right corner it was noticeably not as sharp as the left side at both f5.6 and f8. I thought maybe it was just my camera's positioning so I went out and did a second and third test... second test using a zeiss test chart and third using the fence in my backyard. All yielded the same results at 35mm with the right corner being soft. Bummed that I'll be sending this back... I was hoping to take it with me on a trip to Bali next week =(.

Aug 17, 2017 at 02:13 AM
singularity001

p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · LensRentals 16-35mm f/2.8 GM MTF Tests

Question about shipping back to B&H. Do you guys just do regular first class mail with insurance and tracking? Or do you do priority mail or use FedEx/UPS?

Aug 17, 2017 at 02:18 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · LensRentals 16-35mm f/2.8 GM MTF Tests

Well the faster you get it there the faster the return. So depends on your timing for your trip. Maybe second day air. I'd call B&H and see return and ship times. I find Fedx at least here is earlier in the day than UPS. You could do Priority USPS which is 2 day as well and cheaper

Aug 17, 2017 at 02:35 AM
1       2       3      
       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password