New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Has anyone ever sold gear to Adorama?

formula4speed
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Has anyone ever sold gear to Adorama?

Title pretty much says it all, ever sold gear to them? Did it go well? Did you feel their offer was reasonable?

I'm toying with trying selling to a store, I know I'll get less than I would here, but I'm trying to get a few quotes. KEH and B&H will give you an online estimate. Adorama I'm having a harder time with, seems like maybe I have to do it over the phone but they work the same hours I do. Attempted to use email but no response from them.

Trying to decide if they are worth pursuing or if I should just opt for the better offer out of the other 2. Maybe another store worth trying?

Aug 12, 2017 at 03:16 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Has anyone ever sold gear to Adorama?

Well, many advantages to selling to one of the stores, I've sold to KEH, BH and Adorama. First off, is that you don't have any "buyer's regret." Advantage to KEH is you see up front what they will give you. You can then compare that price with what KEH is selling the identical item for (assuming they have it in stock). Also, you don't get Buyer's saying "Not as advertised, but cut your price by X$ and I'll keep it; Next you don't get idiot noob's who don't know how to operate an AF switch claiming AF is defective. None of that crap.

Downside is that you get significantly less - maybe as much as 40% less than what the same store would sell that same gear for as used; certainly less than what you would likely get here on FM. My best luck with the $ issue is to send it in for an eval, get a price for a straight sale and then get a price for a trade-in. I've always done better with a trade-in. That may have been true in my case bec I'm a repeat customer. I'm no longer selling gear, but rather simply giving it to my sons.

With respect to Adorama, you can always PM or email Helen Oster from her membership here. She is superb, as is her colleague here, Henry Posner from BH.

HTH

Aug 12, 2017 at 03:40 PM
DanBrown
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Has anyone ever sold gear to Adorama?

I've sold to Adorama and B&H and agree with Anthony's comments. One difference between B&H and Adorama is that you can get a real time estimate for an item from B&H's web site, and you have to wait for Adorama to email you an estimate of what they may pay. Not a big deal to me, but it might be to others. You basically pay to be relieved of the hassle of individual sales and dealing with contrary buyers (not to imply all buyers are contrary, however).

I will mention that both B&H and Adorama have upgraded the condition of an item if justified. For example, I graded one lens as "good," and they upgraded it to "excellent." I consider that a definite positive in the customer service column.

Aug 12, 2017 at 04:23 PM
formula4speed
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Has anyone ever sold gear to Adorama?

Thanks guys, I've sold quite a bit here and I've sold at least once to B&H that I can remember. In that case B&H actually offered me as much as I would get here, plus no Paypal fees or shipping costs on my end so it worked out well. Sometimes if gear isn't "trendy" here you can get a similar price from the stores.

I'll try one more time to get in touch with Adorama.

Aug 12, 2017 at 05:41 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Helen Oster
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Has anyone ever sold gear to Adorama?

formula4speed wrote:
Thanks guys, I've sold quite a bit here and I've sold at least once to B&H that I can remember. In that case B&H actually offered me as much as I would get here, plus no Paypal fees or shipping costs on my end so it worked out well. Sometimes if gear isn't "trendy" here you can get a similar price from the stores.

I'll try one more time to get in touch with Adorama.

I'm so sorry that nobody has responded to you. Please email me: [email protected] with the details and I will make sure it gets to the right person asap.

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera

Aug 12, 2017 at 08:56 PM
formula4speed
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Has anyone ever sold gear to Adorama?

Thanks Helen, just sent an email (sorry for the delay on that).

Aug 14, 2017 at 01:31 PM
chez
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Has anyone ever sold gear to Adorama?

You are wanting to sell to a store to take the hassle out of selling with a reduced price. If it's tough to do business with Adorama, just skip them and deal with B&H or KEH. Why deal with the hassle of Adorama and still lose out up to o 40% of the used value?

Aug 15, 2017 at 12:50 AM
formula4speed
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Has anyone ever sold gear to Adorama?

Honestly I just wanted to see which store would offer the most, or it they would all offer basically the same. Adorama was slightly more effort to get a quote, but in the end it wasn't bad.

In this case KEH offered about 20% higher than the other two. The last lens I sold B&H offered more than KEH. Just wanted to keep my options open.

Aug 16, 2017 at 08:34 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password