Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Dream Macro Tripod and Head setup....

Bob Fechte

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Dream Macro Tripod and Head setup....

Would like to get some feedback on a perfect tripod setup for Macro Photography. Will be purchasing a new setup , tripod and head, shortly. Thanks in advance for your feedback and insight....

Aug 12, 2017 at 02:39 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Dream Macro Tripod and Head setup....

Macros of what? Are you hiking distances in the field or in a studio? Are you using strobes, natural light, etc.?

EBH

Aug 12, 2017 at 04:25 PM
Macrogirl

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Dream Macro Tripod and Head setup....

My dream head would be the Arca Swiss Cube. Sadly it is very far outside my budget. I treated myself to the Arca Swiss P0, which I am over the moon with. In my studio I use the Manfrotto 410 Geared head - it has a few (very minor) niggles, such as the manfrotto plate system (although you can convert it, which I will definitely do in the future with the Henjar kit) and the strange off centre placement. However, at a fraction of the price of the AS cube it works extremely well for me. And a macro rail is a must when you get into stacking. The fully automated ones are fancy, but again my budget stops me from these luxuries...

Aug 12, 2017 at 04:46 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Dream Macro Tripod and Head setup....

yes on the Cube - there is a Chinese knockoff that is a lot less; no idea on how good it is

macro rails

a body that does _in camera_ focus stacking

a body with a high DoF

(2 above mean... m43)

back to the tripod... a very robust enlarging stand for studio work

for flash, the Nikon R1C1 system is unbeatable tho spendy

bellows and lens reversing rings for going past 1:1

for field work, RRS or Gitzo tripod with an easy to setup head mounted on the dangling center column; and a ground pod

some great setups on the macro setup thread - many are pros, working in biology or other labs

and... there used to be a paper magazine designed for pros, called Industrial Photography - maybe it is on the web if it still exists

Aug 12, 2017 at 06:54 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

mogud
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Dream Macro Tripod and Head setup....

I use a Gitzo tripod , Manfrotto 405 gear head converted to AS and an RRS focusing rail. I shoot mostly floral and plants with available light at 1:1. I'd have to say that the RRS focusing rail is a vital part of my macro work.

Luv to get the cube but it's a little expensive. The Arca Swiss D4 is a nice alternative but also pricey. The Manfrotto 405 is a good alternative.

Aug 12, 2017 at 07:37 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Dream Macro Tripod and Head setup....

I have the C1 Cube, but I often use my Contax focus rail system on the Manfrotto 410 (converted, like Morley's). My favourite lens for tripod shooting of 'close-up' and macro (to 1:1) is the Mamiya 645 A 120/4 Macro, on the Contax focus rail. I use a Mamiya 645 Auto Bellows N system (on a 12" coarse-focus rail) for higher magnifications.

Aug 12, 2017 at 08:54 PM
Bob Fechte

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Dream Macro Tripod and Head setup....

Thank you for the feedback.

Aug 12, 2017 at 11:31 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password