Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Lenovo Laptop w/Anti glare UHD IPS Screen?

Twisties
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lenovo Laptop w/Anti glare UHD IPS Screen?

Getting fed up with my laptop's screen. Has anyone here had experience with the Lenovo Anti-Glare UHD IPS units? How are they working for you? Example:

http://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/lenovofamily/laptops/ideapad/ideapad-y700-series/Lenovo-IdeaPad-Y700-Touch-15ISK/p/80NW0035US

Aug 11, 2017 at 09:14 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lenovo Laptop w/Anti glare UHD IPS Screen?

No experience with that computer, but I have found that IPS screens are much better than non-IPS screens because the colours are more consistent no matter where they are on the screen. i.e. No matter how you tilt it, whether you're looking down at the bottom of it or up at the top of it or straight at the middle, you get the same colour and tone. With colour profiling it can even be the right colour as well as consistent. Dark tones in particular go very dark when the viewing angle is off by even a few degrees.

However, I'm not keen on touching screens and that especially applies to anti-glare screens. They seem to hand on to fingerprints because of the matte surface. Try for yourself at a store.

More generally, a gaming laptop is likely to perform reasonably well at all times because of superior cooling to the cpu and other components.

Check what is available in terms of interface ports to backup drives, etc. and also to an external screen if you ever get one.

The 4k screen may be a bit too small at 15.6". Images will either be enlarged for "normal" viewing or else they'll be a bit small. I find that UHD resolution works very well on a 24" screen, giving 185ppi. However, if your images are all big enough (8Mpx or more) then they'll look great on 15.6" even though they'll be a little small. If your eyes are up to scratch then you'll see all the details without individual pixel size making them look chunky. At 230ppi it will actually be not far off 300ppi printer resolution.

These days, more and more software can handle UHD screens without messing up their user interfaces. However, check whatever you are using before you commit to UHD. Lr and Ps are certainly ok. MS Office looks fine too, although the concept of 100% life size gets a bit confused (you can still get life size onscreen but it may not be at what is called "100%").

Aug 12, 2017 at 08:00 AM
DEW Images

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lenovo Laptop w/Anti glare UHD IPS Screen?

I am using this Lenovo laptop and I am having no issues at all with it. I have it paired with an Asus ProArt 24" monitor. Both are calibrated with a Color Munkie. I like it.
Lenovo makes a nice laptop that can stand up to travel. I travel alot for my work and it has been holding up well.
Lenovo

Aug 26, 2017 at 01:07 PM
Twisties
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lenovo Laptop w/Anti glare UHD IPS Screen?

I got the laptop linked above and am pleased to report that I am happy with the screen. I can't tell what percent of sRGB it displays, but I like the matte finish and it is super sharp and crisp.

Is there any way to determine the gamut with a colormunki? I have a colormunki.

Aug 30, 2017 at 11:28 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.