Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2017 · Buyer's Remorse (Post-Script)

coppertop
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Buyer's Remorse (Post-Script)

Hate to say it but I'm having second thoughts on buying the 6D MKII.

It's a nice camera and has some very appealing features. The body is noticeably beefier than the 80D and the camera does have some heft to it.

Sure you have greater resolution and better high ISO performance, but for my needs the 80D holds its own pretty good. I do like the white viewfinder graphics and the level display is better than what you get with the 80D. AF performance is tremendously better than the 6D, but on par with the 80D. FPS is close enough to be called equal and the flippy, touchscreen is also on par with the 80D.

I've scaled back my photography to a more personal level where I'm mainly shooting pics of the kids, landscapes and occasionally chasing wildlife. All of which the 80D can handle. The FF sensor has its advantages but it feels as though the APS-C sensors have progressed where the gap separating them from FF sensors has considerably shrunk.

I don't mean to spark another discussion on how the 6D MKII is a terrible camera (because it isn't). If I did not have either camera (and the budget to afford either) I would likely choose the 6D MKII over the 80D. I just don't know if the 6D MKII is strong enough to justify spending $2K when you have an 80D already in your camera bag.

I know that only I can figure out if the 6D MKII is for me, but am I missing anything glaringly obvious to argue against (or for) returning the 6D MKII.

Edited on Aug 18, 2017 at 08:00 PM · View previous versions

Aug 11, 2017 at 07:28 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Buyer's Remorse (Post-Script)

FWIW, I always wonder if I should have spent the money on my new camera or lens. Cameras, in particular, are so good these days that you are really only gaining incrementally. I still haven't seen where my 5D4 really gives me that much more than my 5D3 did - all the DR/resolution hype notwithstanding. Maybe I should have spent the money on a vacation somewhere where I could have effectively used the cameras I have.

I see my two 5Ds and 80D as a kit I can select from. An indulgence perhaps but part of the cost of collecting whatever I see as memories I'll review as long as I can see. An 80D 6D kit sounds pretty good to me. So enjoy and try not to think of cost. The payments only hurt for a little while.

Aug 11, 2017 at 07:44 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Buyer's Remorse (Post-Script)

I agree that the 80D is very nice and if you are looking for a "better" camera ... that's a tough gig.

In that regard, I'm seeing my 80D filling a couple functions because of its pixel density even (ever so slightly) greater than the the 5DsR. The 6D2 (or 6D for those standing pat on 6D) has larger pixels that offer it as well suited for different applications.

One of the things that I wanted in the 6D2 was f/8 AF and the flippy. If you can live without those two things, the 6D paired with the 80D will give you a similar 1-2 approach as the 80D paired with the 6D2 will.

My .02

80D - Macro, 1.4X TC + Telephoto, heavy cropping (you're already part way there) as a pre-cropped 5Ds.

6D2 (6D) - UWA, low light, smooth tonal gradations, general purpose

Me, I'm welding my TC to my 80D, then swapping my 100-400 II between the 80D & 6D2. The only time I expect to remove my TC from the 80D is to go macro ... and heck, I might just put it on top of the TC (if I get one that fits over the protruding element).

The point here is that for folks looking for the 6D2 to be an OMG "better" camera, the question is then "better at what". Going back to my Alt days, the debates raged eternal about lens A being better than lens B ... but the question was better at what vs. in what way is it different.

I think that those looking to the 6D2 for the OMG BETTER ... no surprise that you might feel that it didn't provide that. So, while the thought my be that you can just go with the 80D (and get an EF-S UWA if needed) ... believe me, it has crossed my mind for the duration waiting for the 6D2 to arrive.

That said, returning it ... I actually think for some folks that is going to be a good move. Then they can pick up a 6D for 1/2 the price and have the same essence of the 6D2 (with even bigger pixels) in the 6D + 80D.

Then, if after picking up the 6D ... you'll learn if the 6D2 is something you go "hmmm, I kinda like it better than the 6D" or you go, "6D, bargain of the year".

Imo, 80D + 6D / 6D2 is an excellent combo. Whether you prefer the 6D2 vs. the 6D (which you could put side by side in the store or rent one before you decide to return your 6D2) is a choice that you really can't go wrong with as long as you understand the diff's that 6D vs. 6D2 encompass. I've thought about the $$$ advantage of going with the 6D (since my 80D still AF's @ f/8) ... but, the 6D2 just "feels right" when I use it. That has a value that's hard to quantify.

So, while my gut says "I dig the way it feels to shoot with the 6D2" ... if your gut is saying, "not worth it to you" ... go with your gut. Hey, you can always repurchase it later (at possibly a lower price), or maybe make the jump from 6D to 6D III. There's a reason why we buy from reputable retailers with stellar return policy ... if it ain't right for you, then by all means, do what is right for you.

But, before you send the 6D2 back ... I'd recommend test shooting the 6D first to "feel" the difference.

Aug 11, 2017 at 08:09 PM
coppertop
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Buyer's Remorse (Post-Script)

RustyBug wrote:
But, before you send the 6D2 back ... I'd recommend test shooting the 6D first to "feel" the difference.

Actually sold my 6D with every intention of getting a 100-400mm II.
Then I made the mistake of reading up on the 6D MKII and my focus shifted.

The 6D MKII has a noticeably better AF system and I do like the viewfinder layout better. Image quality, too close to call right now but close. The flippy screen also is an advantage.

I do feel that going back to the 6D would be a step backward though. The 6D is a wonderful camera but the AF was a bit slow for my tastes when chasing wildlife (the 4 FPS wasn't very helpful either).

I guess the question I need to answer is what can the 6D MKII do that the 80D can't. And whatever that might be, decide if it's worth the cost.

Aug 11, 2017 at 08:43 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Buyer's Remorse (Post-Script)

coppertop wrote:
Actually sold my 6D with every intention of getting a 100-400mm II.
Then I made the mistake of reading up on the 6D MKII and my focus shifted.

The 6D MKII has a noticeably better AF system and I do like the viewfinder layout better. Image quality, too close to call right now but close. The flippy screen also is an advantage.

I do feel that going back to the 6D would be a step backward though. The 6D is a wonderful camera but the AF was a bit slow for my tastes when chasing wildlife (the 4 FPS wasn't very helpful
...Show more

Better low light (chasing critters), maybe better AF (chasing critters), almost same fps. Better noise pretty much everywhere (just not the same DR @ low ISO). Wide angle with native FF glass (i.e. not EF-S)

That said ... revert back to the 80D and live with it till you can't. The 6D2 will always be available for repurchase (lower retail price in future or used market).

Me, I look at it this way ... 6D2 is going to be my main camera. The 80D will be my specialty camera for uber detail macro and uber long reach (in decent light) / high cropping. Making the 80D your only camera ... there are way worse cameras to do that with. The 80D has been my main for about a year, till now ... but, I'm glad to be back on FF.

They do make a nice 1-2 punch. The other thing you might consider ... kick the 6D2 to the curb, pocket the pennies, save for the 5D4 to go with the 80D ... or just kick BOTH the 80D & 6D2 to the curb and get the 5D4.

Edited on Aug 11, 2017 at 08:58 PM · View previous versions

Aug 11, 2017 at 08:53 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Buyer's Remorse (Post-Script)

I've come to really like my 80D. I originally bought it for shooting music videos for my YouTube channel but seem to grab it much of the time for stills rather than my 6D. It's a really capable jack of all trades and light on the shoulder to boot. I suspect Canon screwed up and made the 80D a little better than they intended and had to make up for it with the 6D2...

Aug 11, 2017 at 08:54 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Buyer's Remorse (Post-Script)

Gochugogi wrote:
I've come to really like my 80D. I originally bought it for shooting music videos for my YouTube channel but seem to grab it much of the time for stills rather than my 6D. It's a really capable jack of all trades and light on the shoulder to boot. I suspect Canon screwed up and made the 80D a little better than they intended and had to make up for it with the 6D2...

Yup ... 80D is a dandy (for a cropper).

Aug 11, 2017 at 08:58 PM
garydavidjones
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Buyer's Remorse (Post-Script)

Having more cameras spreads the wear and tear out more broadly. Also gives you
back ups in case of breakdown(s). Always bring at least two lenses and two
cameras on every trip abroad. Many countries don't have repair facilities or
stores with replacements that don't charge exorbitantly.

Edited on Aug 11, 2017 at 09:01 PM · View previous versions

Aug 11, 2017 at 08:58 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Buyer's Remorse (Post-Script)

garydavidjones wrote:
More cameras spreads the wear and tear out more broadly. Also gives you
back ups in case of breakdown(s). Always bring at least two lenses and two
cameras on every trip abroad. Many countries don't have repair facilities or
stores with replacements that don't charge exorbitantly.

Definitely part of why I'm in the 6D2 + 80D camp vs. the 5D4 only camp.

Aug 11, 2017 at 09:00 PM
M. Best
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Buyer's Remorse (Post-Script)

I think we all get them with something. I have several that are photography related. The 85 1.8 is a wonderful lens but I just don't use that FL often. The 40 STM sounded great on paper but I don't use it anymore after getting the 24-70. However, I can't bring myself to sell them!! I'll use them someday. 😅

Aug 11, 2017 at 09:00 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Buyer's Remorse (Post-Script)

Which reminds me ... I've got a Sigma 50-100/1.8 DC to sell now that I've got the 6D2.

Probably has the same number of frames on it (i.e. 50-100).
Great lens ... I just don't shoot it like I thought I would.

Aug 11, 2017 at 09:01 PM
gfiksel
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Buyer's Remorse (Post-Script)

Keep the 6d ii. You have nailed the OP title - Buyers remorse. It happens to all of us, just like a common cold. And just as a cold it will go away in a week or two. As for a cure, try taking pics at ISO 12800, all your doubts will evaporate. Besides, a two-camera kit is such a blessing.

Aug 11, 2017 at 09:13 PM
Tapeman
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Buyer's Remorse (Post-Script)

I have never felt buyer's remorse buying a camera. Probably because I always skip a generation or two between upgrades.

I definitely recommend having more than one body, especially for travel.

Aug 11, 2017 at 10:09 PM
artsf
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Buyer's Remorse (Post-Script)

A lot comes down to the lenses. I think 80d is Canon's best APS-C camera. However, Canon doesn't seem to develop enough APS-C lenses for it. I don't like the idea of using larger FF lenses on crop bodies. Sigma has some nice APS-C options but the AF and especially video DPAF tracking is not as certain as Canon lenses.

Overall, FF is more cost-effective and flexible if you like portraiture, shallow DoF pictures. You don't need expensive ultra fast lenses to achieve that on FF. 6dii is underwhelming release but 6d costs as much as 80d but will give much better low light performance and DoF control. I would still choose 6d over 80d any day. For crop sensors, I may be more interested in Sony a6500.

Aug 11, 2017 at 11:03 PM
coppertop
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Buyer's Remorse (Post-Script)

Thanks for the responses and insight.
I'm going to give it a few days without really worrying about it and then re-visit the subject.

My inclination is to hang on to the 6D MKII and use it as my daily driver. Then when I need a little more reach, grab the 80D.

I do wish there was more separation between these two models beyond the sensor size. Either that or the 6D MKII had more muscle and was priced well beyond my budget. It would make the decision a lot easier.

Thanks again.

Aug 13, 2017 at 12:32 PM
MatthewK
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Buyer's Remorse (Post-Script)

80D is spectacular, I love this camera. I don't hesitate to use it vs. my full frame camera. In fact, I more so consider it a 1.6 TC when my 5D4 is too short. I mirror other posters above: keep the 6D2 and 80D, their differences in crop factor effectively doubles your lens ranges.

Aug 13, 2017 at 01:06 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Buyer's Remorse (Post-Script)

Borrowing from the movie "Top Gun" ... I think of these two as "switching from missiles to guns".

Shooting from the same platform, just that depending on the range (FL, distance or luminance) I'm shooting from might allow me to choose one vs. the other ... both with confidence.

Aug 13, 2017 at 01:16 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Buyer's Remorse (Post-Script)

Dpreview had the same thoughts:

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/0049886677/canon-eos-80d-to-eos-6d-mark-ii-in-the-light-of-the-review-should-i-upgrade

Try and be objective and not listen to all the naysayers (there are SO many over this camera, far more than usual), if it really isn't what you need then sell it/send it back, it's only money

Personally I can't live with a camera I just don't like. Sometimes that's for the silliest of reasons.

Aug 13, 2017 at 01:36 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Buyer's Remorse (Post-Script)

dhphoto wrote:
Personally I can't live with a camera I just don't like. Sometimes that's for the silliest of reasons.

Personally I can live with a camera I just like. Sometimes that's for the silliest of reasons.

Aug 13, 2017 at 02:29 PM
Rjs003

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Buyer's Remorse (Post-Script)

I've been a photographer for about 55 yrs. The last few years I have been updating my equipment through the use of Canon refurbished equipment. I have found that I don't need the latest newest shiny object.
Nothing feels better then money in my pocket.

Aug 15, 2017 at 06:26 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.