New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Question about Sony 18-105mm

MedicineMan404
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Question about Sony 18-105mm

I have the PZ 18-200mm and I can switch from PZ to manual zoom which I really like.
On the 18-105 is it only power to zoom in and out or is there a fast manual override like
on the PZ 18-200mm

I'm looking for a walk-a-round for the a6500 beyond the 16-50mm and am also looking at the
Sony-Zeiss 16-70mm but the extra 30mm on the 18-100G is attractive.

Thanks for any information.

Aug 11, 2017 at 11:45 PM
BlueBomberTurbo
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Question about Sony 18-105mm

Yes, it also has an external zoom ring, which operates faster than the PZ switch. Though not as fast as a traditional zoom, since it's still an electronic zoom that's not physically connected to the ring.

Aug 12, 2017 at 01:43 AM
Parariss
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Question about Sony 18-105mm

MedicineMan404 wrote:
I have the PZ 18-200mm and I can switch from PZ to manual zoom which I really like.
On the 18-105 is it only power to zoom in and out or is there a fast manual override like
on the PZ 18-200mm

I'm looking for a walk-a-round for the a6500 beyond the 16-50mm and am also looking at the
Sony-Zeiss 16-70mm but the extra 30mm on the 18-100G is attractive.

Thanks for any information.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/sony/lenses/18-105mm.htm

"Zooming is electronic only, like a camcorder or a point-and-shoot. The zoom ring has no real connection to anything other than the camera's computer system. The disadvantage of this is that you can't just twist the ring to go immediately from one end to the other; you always have to wait for it to motor in or out. The advantage to this is always super-smooth zooms for movies."

Having seen your delightful wildlife images lately (100-400GM), I'm surprised that you shoot Sony's apsc glass. SAR had an interview blurb yesterday wherein a Sony executive claimed Sony was committed to apsc. But, you wouldn't know it from Sony's lens portfolio - few high quality lenses are available for apsc and no new lenses have been introduced for the crop platform at all in several years. I expect they'll circle back to it someday...someday...

Aug 12, 2017 at 01:45 AM
MedicineMan404
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Question about Sony 18-105mm

Well it was one thing I like about out PZ 18-200, in 'manual' I can very quickly zoom out to 200mm. Well that kinda shoots down the 18-105

Parariss surprised? That hurts me I've been shooting Sony for a long time; began with a NEX-5 and haven't stopped since. I don't have a huge collection of Sony/SEL glass but a few. I've recently divested of EOS because of size and weight---and by the same token there are days when I'll carry the a6500 and not the bigger Sony bodies (A7rii/a9) for the same reason.

Now the goal was to have a lens on the a6500 and the combo on the Cotton Carrier vest for hikes in Glacier NP in a few weeks, something for the moose or bear that suddenly appears mid-distance. I'll carry a longer piece of glass (recently found the ancient EOS 400/5.6 works a charm via Metabones on my a6500 in green mode) in the pack along with the a7rii for a serious landscape. But finding/deciding on what to hang on the a6500 is challenging-
The Sony Zeiss 16-70 has many perilous reviews/bad copies/not sharp at 70mm
The 18-150mm is sharp at 105 but waiting on the power zoom to get there would frustate
My other choices?? I'm not finding them.

So in the mean time my plan is to pop on the FE28-70...again not the greatest in the world but weightwise it won't be slumping me over. IQ is not that bad in the center and the cropper will accentuate that I feel. In my pocket the SEL16-50...it's a snap shooter and that's ok, could even put the 35/1.8 in the pocket which the more I think about it the more I like that idea.

It's not a perfect world

Aug 12, 2017 at 09:03 AM
1texasaggie
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Question about Sony 18-105mm

MedicineMan404 wrote:
Well it was one thing I like about out PZ 18-200, in 'manual' I can very quickly zoom out to 200mm. Well that kinda shoots down the 18-105

Hello. By very quickly, if you're looking for the absolute shortest manual zoom rotation possible to get from 18-105, then by comparison, it requires turning the ring a little further than something like the 70-200 F4. Unlike the 16-35 F4, 70-200 F4, etc. the 18-105 has an incredibly smooth manual zoom ring which gets me from 18-105 much quicker than any other zoom I've ever owned.

I have large hands, so all it takes is a flick of my thumb in one direction, or a flick of my index finger in the other direction to get from 18-105...or back again. I don't own the 18-200, so therefore don't have a reference to this lens for a comparison. Hope this helps.

-Mike

Aug 12, 2017 at 01:57 PM
MedicineMan404
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Question about Sony 18-105mm

Mike thanks, but now I'm confused. I thought the only way with the 18-105 to go from 18 to 105 was by the fly by wire zoom toggle. If I'm reading correctly your saying you can manually zoom across the whole zoom range?

Nevermind, I just read the whole treatise on this lens at Sony's website. The zoom out from 18-105 is fast I gather via the fly by wire but I wonder how fast? Only way really to know that and if fast enough for my needs I think is to try one.

Aug 13, 2017 at 02:26 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

1texasaggie
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Question about Sony 18-105mm

You're very welcome.

I need to make a correction to what I stated in my previous post b/c it was from memory, and taking some pics early this morning reminded me how I actually use the manual zoom ring. I "quick" zoom throughout the focal range exclusively using my thumb, only making fine adjustments with the index finger.

This technique allows me to stay on target, where I can cover the entire zoom range steadily and do so almost instantly. Even though I bought the lens for the electronic zoom feature in video, with the exception of panning and zooming at the same time, I personally think the manual zoom ring produces smoother footage when zooming in or out.

It takes approximately 1/3rd of a turn to go from 18-105. Since the camera is so tiny to begin with, I have to palm the body (normal for me w/ any mirrorless) then remember to keep my thumb down at 6 o'clock on the zoom ring if I'm at 18mm, or bring it over to 2 o'clock if at 105mm.

My first impression of the manual zoom ring was it was ill conceived and extremely cumbersome b/c it's was unlike any other lens I had used before. After playing with it for a couple of minutes, discovering it has almost zero resistance and I could easily crank it with my thumb, I began to settle in and really like the manual zoom ring for street photography and videography.

-Mike

Aug 13, 2017 at 02:55 PM
MedicineMan404
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Question about Sony 18-105mm

Guys, if you could, give me your best guess on how long/how fast/0.5 second/1 second/etc. it takes to go from 18-105mm.
Color me the big dummie but I'm just now realizing the effective reach of this lens is 157mm which isn't shabby at all, especially considering reports are that it is sharp at 105.

Aug 14, 2017 at 04:10 AM
Matisha

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Question about Sony 18-105mm

The Sony E 16-70mm F4 is an excellent lens. It is sharp and high contrast at ALL focal length and ALL aperture. Usually, a zoom lens tend to be soft at the tele end and wide open. The Sony 16-70 is very sharp at 70mm F4. I can do nice portrait shots at 70mm f/4 but I have to set the 18-55 kit lens to F8 at 55mm because the kit lens is very soft at 55mm F5.6. I cannot get nice bokeh with the kit lens. The 16mm is very nice, too. In real life, the contrast is always on high level.

Aug 14, 2017 at 08:24 AM
1texasaggie
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Question about Sony 18-105mm

Had my wife time me using a stopwatch: 1.81, 1.63 & 1.25 seconds respectively on the first 3 attempts.

Aug 14, 2017 at 01:28 PM
MedicineMan404
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Question about Sony 18-105mm

1Texas thanks so much. Please tell the Mrs. I said thanks for the efforts.
I have placed a Greentoe bid on the 18-105mm.

Aug 15, 2017 at 04:35 AM
TMaG82
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Question about Sony 18-105mm

A few things about the 18-105

- As mentioned it's an electronic zoom, so it resets to 18mm each time you power on/off the camera. Not like a "normal" zoom where you can set it to your preferred length and turn on.
- There's a little lag when zooming, meaning if you want to dial in a specific focal length, it's slightly more difficult because it has to catch up. Not a big deal if you're at 18 or 105 often, but if you're trying to get to say, 50 or 75 it's not as easy.

Aug 16, 2017 at 03:01 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password