New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Fuji XT-1 and Infrared?

uintaangler
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Fuji XT-1 and Infrared?

I am thinking of converting my XT-1 to Infrared using LifePixel
Is there any information out there about whether or not the XT-1 does well as an IR camera?
Thanks.

Aug 11, 2017 at 06:30 PM
Elisha82
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Fuji XT-1 and Infrared?

You can buy an IR version of the X-T1 so probably yes.

uintaangler wrote:
I am thinking of converting my XT-1 to Infrared using LifePixel
Is there any information out there about whether or not the XT-1 does well as an IR camera?
Thanks.

Aug 11, 2017 at 08:56 PM
fjablo
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Fuji XT-1 and Infrared?

It works quite well even unconverted with a Hoya R72. From what I heard converting the X-T1 is not as easy as some other cameras, but it can be done.

Which lenses do you intend to use? Some Fuji lenses work well with IR (2.8/14, 1.4/23) others produce hot spots (e.g. 1.2/56).

Aug 12, 2017 at 02:14 AM
CMcG01
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Fuji XT-1 and Infrared?

My XE1 works well for infrared so I'd imagine the XT1 would be great.

FWIW Many, if not all, of the Fuji primes are great for IR.

Aug 12, 2017 at 10:23 AM
uintaangler
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Fuji XT-1 and Infrared?

CMcG01 wrote:
My XE1 works well for infrared so I'd imagine the XT1 would be great.

FWIW Many, if not all, of the Fuji primes are great for IR.

Thanks, which prime would be your #1 recommendation ( prefer something on the wider side )

Aug 12, 2017 at 10:30 AM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Fuji XT-1 and Infrared?

The 14 f 2.8, the 35 F 1.4, the 50 F 2.0, the 90 F 2.0, are all excellent IR performers and the 16-50 as well as the 55-200 are good up to F11.

The 16, 56, 18, 27, 18-55, 10-40, are terrible on IR on the other hand.

I've also tested the 23 f 2.0 and it was quite good, though not as nice as it's F1.4 counterpart. I've not used the 55-140 myself, but hear that it is a poor performer, like many of the top end Fuji zooms.

Compared to Nikon and M4/3 however we in the Fuji camp have a fabulous wealth of great IR lenses. I shoot IR nowadays for almost everything but snapshots. It's kind of brought a fresh perspective and the fun back into my photography.

Aug 12, 2017 at 04:40 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Fuji XT-1 and Infrared?

I'd say try it with just a R72 and longer exposures first, then if after a few weeks and you still love it, pull the trigger on the conversion.

I find that personally after I buy a converted camera, I get tired of carrying it and my normal camera, and the whole IR look as a whole, so I end up selling them again after they gather dust.

Not to say IR isn't very cool, or knock those who enjoy it, its just that sometimes the novelty (don't mean that in a negative way) can wear off really quickly.

That is what is so nice with Fuji's, they can do a bit of IR work unmodded. So you can get a taste, and if your really enjoy it, go all in, and if you don't your not out much more than a filter, which maybe you'll otherwise want to keep in your kit for the occasional IR shot

Aug 12, 2017 at 06:30 PM
CMcG01
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Fuji XT-1 and Infrared?

What Pavel said 😋

My 14 lives on it

uintaangler wrote:
Thanks, which prime would be your #1 recommendation ( prefer something on the wider side )

Aug 13, 2017 at 07:43 AM

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.