New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Lesson learned

Shepherd_in_CO
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lesson learned

Lesson learned, keep up with the personal projects even when you retire. I came out of retirement to shoot what I call a legacy client recently. I shot a senior session for a young lady whose brothers I shot. I shot her oldest brother 7 years ago and the middle lad 5 years ago. While I like each of these images, there are things in each one I would probably have caught had I not been rusty. So, I'm adding some model shoots to the wildlife weekends I shoot for pleasure. Hopefully the next time I get called by a legacy client family, I'll be ready to go.

Edited on Aug 11, 2017 at 11:59 PM · View previous versions

Aug 11, 2017 at 11:25 PM
egd5
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lesson learned

I wish I was that "rusty".

Aug 12, 2017 at 02:58 AM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lesson learned

These are lovely. I'm sure they are glad they called you up. I'm impressed by your posing skills. The poses are very flattering to a lovely young lady.

My favorite of the bunch is the last. It's not your standard senior photo. The posing is lovely and the lighting is exquisite. Her skyward gaze reflects what I'd like for all high school seniors - optimism for what lies ahead and an eagerness to embrace the future.

Aug 12, 2017 at 11:51 AM
friscoron
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lesson learned

As the others have mentioned, you really stunk this one up due to your being rusty. If this is rusty, I'd really like to see your images when you're on top of your game. Or maybe not. If this is rusty, it might be too depressing for me to see you at the top of your game.

My faves here are 1, 2, and the last one. It is a unique look and I like how you used your lighting. Great job!

Aug 12, 2017 at 01:21 PM
Shepherd_in_CO
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lesson learned

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the comments. Don't get me wrong, as I said, I like these images, just wish I had caught some of the things that detract from them while I shot. In the first, I would have moved her hair out to either the front or back of her head so it wasn't lost between her and the rock. The second shot I would have had her relax her hands a little more. The third shot I would have had her mom tame that frizzy hair on her right side. Fourth shot I would have had mom fix some of the creases on her dress. Fifth shot, creases again. Sixth shot, don't like how she is holding her hands. Last shot, I think I should have gotten lower to keep the trees from merging with her head. Just little things, but they would have made the images a little cleaner, thus a little better in my mind. Thanks again for taking the time to view and comment.

Aug 12, 2017 at 05:55 PM
MikeMancil
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lesson learned

I'm gonna let my camera "rust" some! #2 was my favorite until I got to #3; a beautiful young lady and some superb photography... Mike

Aug 13, 2017 at 11:06 PM
film_4ever
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lesson learned

Beautiful images! Great model and locations.

Thanks for sharing.

Aug 14, 2017 at 03:49 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Shepherd_in_CO
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Lesson learned

Thanks Mike and Film_4ever for your time viewing and commenting, I appreciate the compliments.

Aug 14, 2017 at 05:11 PM
rntbot

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Lesson learned

I wish I had half your skills! I liked them all. Thanks for sharing.

Aug 19, 2017 at 02:51 PM
John Caldwell
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Lesson learned

These are really good, as others have said.

What I most notice is that between your light and post manipulation, there is great agreement between your primary subject's light, and the overall contextual light of the scene.

Well done.

John Caldwell

Aug 19, 2017 at 03:29 PM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Lesson learned

Having pretty clients makes our photos that much better! Really nice photos! My favorite was the last one...I looked at it and started to move on and then came back and really looked at that one. Your use of lighting on the last one was really fantastic! Thanks for sharing....did I say I liked the last one?

Aug 20, 2017 at 07:42 PM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Lesson learned

did you use any flash or reflectors on any of the photos? If so which ones and how was it set up?

Aug 20, 2017 at 07:46 PM
Shepherd_in_CO
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Lesson learned

Thanks Rntbot and John for the compliments!

Herb, I think you might have mentioned you like the last one I use a Nikon SB900 inside a FourSquare 30x30 soft box, triggered by RadioPoppers for all my shots. Usually it is at a 45 degree angle on either side depending on where I pose the senior. In the second to last shot instead of a 45 degree angle, I have her facing it directly. In the last shot, did I say I think you mentioned you like the last shot?, I have it by her feet above her angled down towards her with the edge slightly behind her body so the light is feathered down onto her. I guess a better way to explain it is the soft box is camera right and she is between it and the camera with just the edge of the soft box aligned with her body. Hope that helps. The FourSquare was invented by a photographer here in Denver, Paul Peregrine, more info can be found at www.lightwaredirect.com I bought a prototype when he was first putting it together and have loved every minute of it. I should add, I am in no way affiliated with him or get anything for recommending it. Hope that helps, Herb, I'm not the best on explaining how I set up stuff.

Aug 22, 2017 at 03:03 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password