New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · exploding flash

fredv
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · exploding flash

I was setting for a shot and my photogenic 320 would not flash when i hit the test button on my pocket wizard. So I walked up and hit the test bottom back of the flash.... BOOM the freakin thing exploded.
Have any of you had this happen?

Aug 11, 2017 at 06:24 PM
PhotoTeacher
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · exploding flash

Possibly a capacitor went out (with a bang!) Unusual, but obviously not impossible. Probably not something you could have foreseen in advance.

Aug 11, 2017 at 09:22 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · exploding flash

A capacitor enjoys a finite lifetime, and can fail catastrophically. Have it replaced.

Aug 12, 2017 at 01:40 AM
fredv
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · exploding flash

It's going to need more than a new capacitor the backend and sides are broken. I thought it was the capacitor too, i know they zap you real good never thought one could explode. Who would have thought a studio photography could so dangerous.

Aug 12, 2017 at 07:43 AM
story_teller
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · exploding flash

It sounds like a faulty capacitor. Normally when capacitors fail, they won't release as much kinetic energy as you witnessed. How old is the light? The light manufacturer may have received a batch of faulty capacitors from their supplier. You might want to contact them and let then know so they can decide if a recall is warranted.

Aug 12, 2017 at 08:19 AM
ross attix
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · exploding flash

Many times. Often had a unit or two either on the way out or coming back from Flash Clinic in NYC, usually from that same problem.

Nothing to do with FC. Peter Lew was a master at repairing those things, but they are dangerous by nature.

fredv wrote:
Have any of you had this happen?

Aug 12, 2017 at 08:32 AM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · exploding flash

When you store them do you discharge theme the after extended storage do you recondition them per the manufacturers recommendation

Aug 13, 2017 at 12:15 PM
fredv
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · exploding flash

Michael White wrote:
When you store them do you discharge theme the after extended storage do you recondition them per the manufacturers recommendation

They flash when I turn them off, is this discharging them? Recondition them?
If you have any knowledge on this, please I am all ears. Thanks

Aug 13, 2017 at 05:10 PM
story_teller
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · exploding flash

fredv wrote:
They flash when I turn them off, is this discharging them? Recondition them?
If you have any knowledge on this, please I am all ears. Thanks

If your flash fires when you turn it off, it may be discharging the capacitor, but don't assume anything. Here are some common sense rules about capacitors and in general, it's a bad idea to disassemble a flash unless you know what you're doing.

- You want to treat a capacitor like a pistol and ALWAYS assume it's fully loaded. Flash capacitors store enough energy to injure or kill a person.
- Capacitors can retain a charge for a very long time. There will be some leakage (discharge) over time, but even capacitors that have been stored for a year or more can still be dangerous.
- Never discharging them by shorting out the leads with a wire. That can cause them to explode or possibly vaporize the wire, which will result in molten metal in hands and face.
- It is a good idea to recondition the capacitor according to MFG. recommendations if you haven't used the flash for a while. Reconditioning the flash capacitor will provide the best performance of the equipment.

Hope that helps.

Aug 14, 2017 at 11:28 AM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · exploding flash

My speedotron user manual had the proper way to do everything. I would have to goggle it you can just as easy and get it from the horses mouth per se. First I would google your light/ packs user manual, then if they don't mention the proper long term storage procedures the look up the user manual for a speedotron 405 pack.

Aug 15, 2017 at 07:06 AM
JBPhotog
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · exploding flash

As a long time studio flash user, it is best to condition your packs monthly if not in regular use. I plug mine in with a head attached and turn them on. Once powered up, set them to full power via variable controls and combine all caps and let them stew for a few hours. This has done me in good stead for 30 years. Only last year was a repair needed to one of my 2400 watt second packs.

Aug 15, 2017 at 05:04 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.