Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              7       8       end

Archive 2017 · Sony's Answer to the New Nikon D850?

Douglas L
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sony's Answer to the New Nikon D850?

OK, it's weekend so let's have some fun. The leaked (but seems legit) Nikon D850 specs are very impressive. Here is what's interesting to me:

46MP, 64 ISO
9 FPS with grip, 7 FPS without.
D5 AF
50 shots buffer
in camera focus bracketing (but needs 3rd party software to merge)

This could be THE "all-in-one" camera many people have been looking for: MP, great AF, good FPS, big enough buffer, and in camera focus bracketing! It can double as a great landscape/sports body. You can tell I am excited but I don't think I am getting one. I am 2/3 in the Sony camp and 1/3 still in the Nikon camp (for birds and airshows). I am gradually phasing out my Nikon gears.

So, what rabbit will Sony pull from its hat?. The A99II is great but A-mount is a dead end, IMHO. The A9 has the AF/speed but not the MP. A lot of folks shooting wildlife are really craving for a big MP fast camera. I keep repeating myself, I want an A99II in e-mount. .

Have a good weekend.

Douglas

Aug 11, 2017 at 03:10 PM
mttran
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sony's Answer to the New Nikon D850?

How about ...huge DR @ 32 ISO + 80MP A9R $3500

Aug 11, 2017 at 03:31 PM
Douglas L
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sony's Answer to the New Nikon D850?

mttran wrote:
How about ...huge DR @ 32 ISO + 80MP A9R

But will it have the speed and FPS? Michael.

Aug 11, 2017 at 03:33 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sony's Answer to the New Nikon D850?

Douglas, I am one easy customer. I take whatever AXR offer

Aug 11, 2017 at 03:40 PM
InFocus2014
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sony's Answer to the New Nikon D850?

I agree with you on the A99II. I shot D800E/D810's for four years, 5DSR's for two years and, concurrently, A7R's followed by A7RII's and now the A9. I shot the A99II for two weeks. My favorite camera, hands-down, is the A99II. The ergonomics are great and the focus & viewfinder are fantastic. The rear adjustable screen is also excellent. If higher quality native lenses were available for it (GM level), and it wasn't a dead-end model, I would have converted everything I had to this camera system, without hesitation. This camera is just fun to shoot.

I expect that the next cameras from Sony will have cutting-edge, juicy, spec's and the same old lackluster ergonomics and user-interface, which makes the shooting experience average and the end-results absolutely fantastic.

Aug 11, 2017 at 03:47 PM
gocolts
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sony's Answer to the New Nikon D850?

My prediction? I think we'll eventually get an A7R3 AND an A9R, sharing an approx. 60mp sensor.

The A7R3 will be a natural progression (both in performance and price) of the A7R2, which is a higher-MP but "slower" version of the A7.

The A9R will follow suit, being a "slower" higher-MP version of the A9 with the bigger body and dual cards etc. However, slower is relative in the A9 line, meaning it will still have 8-10fps and a processor faster than the comparable A7. Priced at maybe $4,999?

Guess we'll see in time! But I have to admit the Nikon sounds like it could be quite the machine. If I was still a Canon shooter who preferred the DSLR form-factor, that Nikon would definitely have my attention, assuming the rumors are true.

Aug 11, 2017 at 03:48 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sony's Answer to the New Nikon D850?

kdrk888 wrote:
OK, it's weekend so let's have some fun. The leaked (but seems legit) Nikon D850 specs are very impressive. Here is what's interesting to me:

46MP, 64 ISO
9 FPS with grip, 7 FPS without.
D5 AF
50 shots buffer
in camera focus bracketing (but needs 3rd party software to merge)

This could be THE "all-in-one" camera many people have been looking for: MP, great AF, good FPS, big enough buffer, and in camera focus bracketing! It can double as a great landscape/sports body. You can tell I am excited but I don't think I am getting one. I am 2/3 in the Sony camp
...Show more

I think the big question is whether they will now go the Canon route (Canon split their 5D line into the 5D IV and the 5Ds and they cost about the same, but the 5Ds is super high Mpix but relatively slow shooting and the 5D IV is lower Mpix and faster shooting) or whether they will go the Nikon route and make just one camera that has high but not quite as high as they could go Mpix and fast but not quite as fast as they could go fps. So do the answer they 5D IV and 5Ds or do they answer the Nikon D850?

Here are my thoughts/guesses if they are to go each way. If they make two cameras to replace the A7rII, then I expect one will be the A7r III and one will be the A9r. I would expect that the A7r III will be a very high Mpix camera somewhere between 54 and 60 Mpix, but it won't be incredibly fast. It is not as if it will be dog slow either. I would expect that it would have a stacked 4th generation Exmoor sensor, which is my guess what the D850 has as well because it has 64 base ISO. The Sony A7r III with this sort of sensor could be something like 56 Mpix and 5 or 6 fps. It could probably have a sensor readout faster than the A7r II by quite a bit. Probably at least 50 millisecond (ms) and maybe even 75 (ms). This would have half the sensor read out of the A9, so not bad at all and it would support a nice advance in the AF system, that while not on A9 level (and I doubt very much it would have no EVF blackout) would still be excellent at tracking and cover almost the whole sensor. This camera will probably not focus super well in low light, but again expect a nice advance over the A7r II.
My guess is that the second camera, probably named an A9r, would be the potential killer to the D850, but would cost a fair bit more. I expect it to have a 5th generation Exmoor sensor like the A9, but have a lot higher Mpix. My guess would be a 40Mpix 12 fps camera. It would have almost the whole A9 AF system, but would probably only have a sensor readout of 90(ms) or so, which means silent shutter wouldn't work as well. It also probably won't have zero viewfinder blackout, but it could be very short viewfinder blackout. This would be an awesome camera, but it would likely cost at least as much as the A9, my guess is $5,000.
If Sony takes the Nikon route, however, I would expect a camera somewhere in between. A 50Mpix 10 fps camera is not out of the question. I think this camera would have to be under $4,000, however, so I would expect more like the a6500 AF system. I would expect it to be a stacked 5th generation Exmoor and it should have a sensor readout of close to 75 (ms), which would allow a pretty good silent shutter, but nowhere near as good as the A9. Again this would be a compelling camera and a great competitor for the D850, but there would be a case to be made for both this camera, which I think would be labelled an A7r III and the D850.

Those are my guesses, but of course I don't really no anything and this is just rank speculation.

Edited on Aug 11, 2017 at 03:52 PM · View previous versions

Aug 11, 2017 at 03:51 PM
gocolts
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sony's Answer to the New Nikon D850?

InFocus2014 wrote:
I agree with you on the A99II. I shot D800E/D810's for four years, 5DSR's for two years and, concurrently, A7R's followed by A7RII's and now the A9. I shot the A99II for two weeks. My favorite camera, hands-down, is the A99II. The ergonomics are great and the focus & viewfinder are fantastic. The rear adjustable screen is also excellent. If higher quality native lenses were available for it (GM level), and it wasn't a dead-end model, I would have converted everything I had to this camera system, without hesitation. This camera is just fun to shoot.

I expect that the next
...Show more

Yep- I just sold my A99ii but really loved using it, just didn't want to invest anymore in glass for it, and with FE-mount now having an 100-400 as well as A9, I decided to go "all in" with mirrorless. My old A7R2 along with an A6500 and see what Sony has to offer over the next year.

The other reason I wasn't willing to convert, besides the future of a-mount, was that I've really come to like the size/weight advantage of something like an A7R2. We travel a lot and it's perfect for that.

Aug 11, 2017 at 03:52 PM
notherenow
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sony's Answer to the New Nikon D850?

While this seems like a nice camera, Sony's answer to it for ME was back in October 2013 when the first A7 FF mirrorless series was announced.

Aug 11, 2017 at 05:42 PM
Douglas L
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sony's Answer to the New Nikon D850?

notherenow wrote:
While this seems like a nice camera, Sony's answer to it for ME was back in October 2013 when the first A7 FF mirrorless series was announced.

Obviously you don't need/want a high MP, high speed full frame camera.

Aug 11, 2017 at 05:49 PM
chiron
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sony's Answer to the New Nikon D850?

I think that Sony's A7III (or A8?) has to be aimed at aboutthe level of the Canon 5d4. That would call for sensor qualities like improved high and low ISO and DR, plus better ergonomics, like the A9, plus something special, like focus-bracketing.

IMO, focus-bracketing is a major innovation, something very special for producing more critically competent images.

Aug 11, 2017 at 05:59 PM
notherenow
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sony's Answer to the New Nikon D850?

kdrk888 wrote:
Obviously you don't need/want a high MP, high speed full frame camera.

Nah.

But I would take it if it was a high MP, high speed full frame camera WITH as good high ISO as the A7s AND was mirrorless (and I got it free).

They would need to change the mount too so I could use my Canon lenses at least as I only have a couple of Nikon lenses left (along with a pet D50).

Aug 11, 2017 at 08:20 PM
Parariss
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sony's Answer to the New Nikon D850?

Wait, nikon isn't out of business, yet?

OK, I'll play along:
Seems like the new Sony would use the same sensor as the new nikon - just like before.

Aug 11, 2017 at 08:51 PM
patotts
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sony's Answer to the New Nikon D850?

I've been a Nikon shooter for a long time, but I don't see myself going back to slapping mirror, lack of IBIS, bigger bodies and lenses.

When was the last time Nikon brought innovation to the market? It is like releasing the "perfect" gasoline car when the entire market has gone electric.

Aug 11, 2017 at 09:12 PM
virtualrain
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Sony's Answer to the New Nikon D850?

Sony would be foolish if they don't trickle down the body design and controls of the a9 to the a7 series. The saving in parts alone would probably make this a smart move, never-mind customer satisfaction.

They then need only differentiate their full-frame cameras based on sensor tech.
- a9 24Mpx Stacked High-Speed $4500
- a7 24Mpx BSI Slow-Speed $2000-$2500
- a7r 50+Mpx Stacked Med-Speed $3500
- a7s LoMpx High ISO $3000 (although I'm not sure another a7s makes much sense given a new a7 as above)

And there's no reason that on-sensor PDAF performance can't improve with every new sensor iteration regardless of the sensor's other characteristics.

Aug 11, 2017 at 09:52 PM
Mystik
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Sony's Answer to the New Nikon D850?

I'm curious to see if the D850 has a sensor that is a progression of the exmor in the D810, or is more related to the D5.....basically did Sony design the sensor for them or not. If it's related to the D5, expect a big drop in base ISO DR.

I'm really questioning this because of the article a while back that stated that Sony is no longer sourcing their best sensors to competitors, and also the fact that the D800/810 has always been marketed by Nikon as a "high dynamic range camera", but there's none of that language in the D850 announcement

Aug 11, 2017 at 09:58 PM
pdmphoto
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Sony's Answer to the New Nikon D850?

mttran wrote:
How about ...huge DR @ 32 ISO + 80MP A9R $3500

Similar specs from Sony are going to cost a whole lot more than $3,500

Aug 11, 2017 at 11:00 PM
artsf
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Sony's Answer to the New Nikon D850?

It's all about video. Will nikon 850 have excellent 4k capabilities with DPAF like touch focus and lenses magically smoothly video focusing? (don't think so).

Aug 11, 2017 at 11:10 PM
MedicineMan404
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Sony's Answer to the New Nikon D850?

As an A7Rii and a9 owner I'm very excited to see the 850 specs. It means the a9r will be just around the corner!

Aug 11, 2017 at 11:58 PM
frezeiss
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Sony's Answer to the New Nikon D850?

Sony doesnt need one

Aug 12, 2017 at 12:13 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.