Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              14      
       end

Archive 2017 · D850, now confirmed spec, what you think?

zhangyue
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.15 #1 · p.15 #1 · D850, now confirmed spec, what you think?

What is your focus distance? I am using about 2M. At long distance you do have more DOF (in focus range) naturally though, so longer confirmation window make sense but it also depend on how manual focus barrel design as well, how long the focusing travel range etc.... there are many fine point hard to describe that require operator spend time to practice and thinking.

English is not my native language, I really meant to think through the process. I am sorry if it looks other way. As you can see there are really so many fine points involved: how the focus throw of lens design, how fast you turn focusing during manual focus, also how you focusing use focus confirmation etc... especially important understand why is fail? How? So that you can adjust your focus habit to work with it. It sound complicate but it become 2nd nature once you went through this.

A important tip is always focus from MFD to infinity if you want accuracy also fine tune your lens always having perfect focusing whenever arrow from front focusing to solid to match your focusing habit. This way you will find it will reliable hit focusing by using confirmation. For Nikon AF lens, manual never work nicely because of poor barrel design, Sigma Art is world better in this regard.

I am sorry that I didn't use word carefully. Hope it helps for anyone having question about Nikon focus confirmation. It is reliable way to use manual lens, I really mean it.

Hillrg` wrote:
I'm getting a fine-tune range of around 10 for the Nikon 85/1.4, 300VR and 500VR lenses. I'm just saying my experience is different than yours Michael. I don't think this is a matter of brains either. :*) I'm an experienced photographer and I thoroughly understand the Nikon system and how focus works - that's why I'm interested in your claims as they are different than my experience. I do agree the focus dot window is more accurate than the D810. And check the colour of the dot on your D850. :*)

Oct 08, 2017 at 12:54 AM
zhangyue
• • • • •
p.15 #2 · p.15 #2 · D850, now confirmed spec, what you think?

Dave, try one of your manual lens in store. This is the only way you can tell it work for you or not. For D850, I can reliable hit focus by confirmation.

davewolfs wrote:
My vision is fairly poor so if it’s similar to the D700 it is a no go. I had the Katz eye before along with some very nice Zeiss lenses and my hit rate was poor, so much so that I just sold anything that was manual and stuck with AF lenses.

If a lot of my shots were Tripod/landscape style the D850 would be my tool of choice. For now I just shoot for fun with some Loxia lenses.

I still think the Nikon 35G has a beautiful rendering. Would like to see an E version or test drive the
...Show more

Oct 08, 2017 at 11:25 AM
zhangyue
• • • • •
p.15 #3 · p.15 #3 · D850, now confirmed spec, what you think?

Now, read back your description, something is not right. I don't have 300 and 500G, but with Nikon long good glass like those adjust 10 without changing confirmation sounds seriously wrong to me.

I pop my 55otus and 85/135 art this morning to double confirm this, all three give me extreame narrow window of confirmation. Even slightly fine tune focus will make arrow light up.

I remembered I did fine tune 55OTUS that even change 1 or two in each direction will light up arrow if I perfectly focused in LV.

Can you briefly describe what did you do? And have you try them in field to rely on focus confirmation to focus? Did you hit focus? If not, how it missed? Under bright light condition, you don't need tripod, just stand there, focusing, check results, if missed, adjust, check again.

I really don't expect it will fail for lens like 328 or 504. Though I never handle those long glass, but experience from sigma 135, I really dont see how it can fail.

The tip I was given in above reply are mainly for D810,750,600,DF etc. D850 is much reliable.

Hillrg` wrote:
I'm getting a fine-tune range of around 10 for the Nikon 85/1.4, 300VR and 500VR lenses. I'm just saying my experience is different than yours Michael. I don't think this is a matter of brains either. :*) I'm an experienced photographer and I thoroughly understand the Nikon system and how focus works - that's why I'm interested in your claims as they are different than my experience. I do agree the focus dot window is more accurate than the D810. And check the colour of the dot on your D850. :*)

Oct 08, 2017 at 11:35 AM
philip_pj
• • • • •
p.15 #4 · p.15 #4 · D850, now confirmed spec, what you think?

Posting to provide some info in case any 'new to Nikon' person buys one of these and scratches their head. It's about a major reason I got out the only Nikon I ever bought, a D200 back in 2006:

"Many Nikon shooters, including myself, have been puzzled by Nikon’s implementation of the menu banks, which have not been changed for many years now. There are three fundamental flaws with the custom settings banks:

. Menu banks are separate for “Shooting Menu” and for “Custom Setting Menu” sections, which means that one would have to store settings in two places and when a change is needed, also have to *remember to change in two places*. There is *no single place to store all camera settings*.
. There is *no button on the camera to be able to instantly select a bank*. The quickest way is to press the “i” button on the back, then choose a different bank for “Photo shooting menu bank” or “Custom settings bank”. Lower-end Nikon DSLRs like D610/D750 are much better in this regard, because they have U1 and U2 options right on the PASM dial.
. There is *no way to save menu banks*. Yup, menu banks are supposed to be “memory” banks that allow one to store specific settings. If you pick a specific bank and then end up changing any of the settings, those (new) settings will be preserved, which completely defeats the purpose of memory banks."

https://photographylife.com/recommended-nikon-d850-settings#more-149200

Aster are mine. The writer is being kind. Very kind.

Oct 17, 2017 at 12:47 AM
charles.K
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.15 #5 · p.15 #5 · D850, now confirmed spec, what you think?

philip_pj wrote:
Posting to provide some info in case any 'new to Nikon' person buys one of these and scratches their head. It's about a major reason I got out the only Nikon I ever bought, a D200 back in 2006:

"Many Nikon shooters, including myself, have been puzzled by Nikon’s implementation of the menu banks, which have not been changed for many years now. There are three fundamental flaws with the custom settings banks:

. Menu banks are separate for “Shooting Menu” and for “Custom Setting Menu” sections, which means that one would have to store settings in two places and when
...Show more

Hi Philip. I have no issues with the memory banks as they are organized. It makes a lot of sense how they are divided and in effect gives you 16 possible options. Having them split makes it much easier to think what main areas that are important. "Shooting Menu" and "Custom Menu". I find for the D850 it works really well. I also have the D750 with U1/U2 which I don't use.

Oct 17, 2017 at 11:07 PM
rbf_
• • •
p.15 #6 · p.15 #6 · D850, now confirmed spec, what you think?

charles.K wrote:
Great summary Michael The D850 is truly an amazing camera and in spite of being the dinosaur DSLR, I love taking shots with this camera. It is a lot of fun and more so when you see the IQ that is possible. I was completely set on acquiring the Fuji GFX 50s but I feel no need now as the difference in IQ is more defined by the available lenses and fast AF that will ensure sharp images.

For those who know me, I came from SLR/DSLR's back in 2009 to Leica and vowed never to go back DSLR for
...Show more

This is kind of what I'm thinking now after seeing specs on D850 and fact it has D5/D500 AF system. This would really be a do it all FF all around system for me. It's just not small but I have & love my X system for that. I'm really impressed with what Nikon has done with this system in terms of features and specs. They have their own in house designed sensor again too. Can't wait to learn more about it.

Oct 26, 2017 at 07:08 PM
philip_pj
• • • • •
p.15 #7 · p.15 #7 · D850, now confirmed spec, what you think?

I figured the user base must be happy with them, Charles, after so long. Maybe it's one of those issues with a strong separation between fans and detractors, should I say another issue like that. I hate stuff changing on me, so the fixed settings Sony let you use suit me a lot more.

See the D850 rocketed up the PDR charts to number #2 just behind the a7r, but way in front of everything else in the format:

http://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Sony%20ILCE-7RM2,Sony%20ILCE-7RM3

So whoever made the sensor did a great job. Nikon has rightly always cared about DR. I made the strange discovery that I own three of the top 13 cameras for DR, and I really need it. All are 'old' too: a99,RX1 and a7r. Strange world.

Oct 26, 2017 at 09:16 PM
zhangyue
• • • • •
p.15 #8 · p.15 #8 · D850, now confirmed spec, what you think?

Haha, I was going to let this thread down.
Here is one I copy from A7RIII thread.
Same thing:

“Philip, not it does matter, but that graph is at pixel level, you have to compare them at output with same resolution. The king was D810,now is D850 after down size to 36M. D850’s DR exceed both Pentax 645z and Fuji GFX only inforior to IQ3100 at the same output resolution.

Really, it doesn’t matter any more once this passing to certain level, at least to me.

Since we are talking about fact, I couldn’t help. ”

philip_pj wrote:
I figured the user base must be happy with them, Charles, after so long. Maybe it's one of those issues with a strong separation between fans and detractors, should I say another issue like that. I hate stuff changing on me, so the fixed settings Sony let you use suit me a lot more.

See the D850 rocketed up the PDR charts to number #2 just behind the a7r, but way in front of everything else in the format:

http://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Sony%20ILCE-7RM2,Sony%20ILCE-7RM3

So whoever made the sensor did a great job. Nikon has rightly always cared about DR. I made the strange discovery that
...Show more

Oct 26, 2017 at 09:25 PM
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.