Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              14       15       end

D850, now confirmed spec, what you think?

zhangyue
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D850, now confirmed spec, what you think?

I only highlight a few I think it is nice.
45.75M
9 frame/S (7/s without grip)
D5 AF 153AF
ISO64-25600
2.36M touch flip LCD
0.75X OVF
180K RGB SENSOR
NO build in FLASH
AUTO FOCUS bracket
Illuminated button during dark shooting
Silent shutter support 6 frames/S (that is a mirrorless killer for me, maybe not yet)

I know this is Alt forum. but it also happen to have best gear discuss on the internet. Hence I post it here. There are lots of alt lenses can be used on it, which should suit here.

A comment for last item, I always feel that for Canikon once time ready, They can simply lift up mirror use SLR as mirror less shooting. Right now, The nikon will only support 6 frame/s with fixed AF/AE, but it is getting there.

For me, this is no reservation effort from Nikon. A formidable tool as Nikon said. I don't have this same feeling since D3/D700.

Aug 11, 2017 at 04:55 PM
charles.K
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D850, now confirmed spec, what you think?

I am glad I have moved my lens system to Nikon

Aug 11, 2017 at 05:17 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D850, now confirmed spec, what you think?

charles.K wrote:

You should, you should I have been watching your awesome images by using 105, 58 and 85. (Though I miss your images here. D810 is already quite nice but this D850 pull ahead in lots of areas.) I am just surprised you are the only few did it. I really wish we have more discuss on Canon, Nikon or pentax SLR gear here. They were treat like dying dinosaurs here now, are they?

Aug 11, 2017 at 05:35 PM
trogdon
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D850, now confirmed spec, what you think?

Seems like it'll surely be a great camera. A lot of these features seem similar to the A99ii, so it'll be interesting to see how the two compare

Aug 11, 2017 at 05:51 PM
charles.K
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D850, now confirmed spec, what you think?

zhangyue wrote:
You should, you should I have been watching your awesome images by using 105, 58 and 85. (Though I miss your images here. D810 is already quite nice but this D850 pull ahead in lots of areas.) I am just surprised you are the only few did it. I really wish we have more discuss on Canon, Nikon or pentax SLR gear here. They were treat like dying dinosaurs here now, are they?

Thank you Michael Yes I have been loving the D810 even for street photography. I just keep to a few select lenses, like the 24 Art, 35 Art, 58G and 105E. When I am not travelling I love using the 70-200/2.8E FL which is one of the best zoom lenses I have used. I have both the D750/D810 but I still use the D810 for the most part. If the D850 spec's out I will trade in my D810/D750 for the new D850. It sounds superb but let's see

Aug 11, 2017 at 06:02 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D850, now confirmed spec, what you think?

trogdon wrote:
Seems like it'll surely be a great camera. A lot of these features seem similar to the A99ii, so it'll be interesting to see how the two compare

I haven't really followed A99II, but seems there is not much activity on that camera.

It was a weird decision to me that they creat this camera and no more,no lenses. Not a nice way to treat A mount customers.

Aug 11, 2017 at 06:04 PM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D850, now confirmed spec, what you think?

charles.K wrote:

zhangyue wrote:

Hmm, I've been a bit less frequent on the boards and didn't know Charles is now shooting Nikon? No matter. Michael, like you I think with Canikon it's just a matter of time when operation with the mirror down or up will be pretty much the same and on-par with mirrorless-only systems. I already feel my 1DXII is very close, just lacking an EVF and follow focus in stills mode. But that transition may not last long, if at all. My feeling is Canikon will want to move to a purely mirrorless system. Maybe the very top camera in each system will retain OVF/EVF hybrid capability for specific applications.

From a non-Alt perspective ~46MP at 9fps in a complete system camera is very compelling and I would like to see similar from Canon. I shoot a fair amount of sports and several years ago switched to the Canon 200-400 with built-in 1.4x TC. It has 'opened the field' to cover as much of the field as possible. But more pixels per athlete would be welcome, especially in reach limited situations, thus effectively extending my range of coverage a fair amount over my camera's current 20MP capability. I've thought about the 5DS from Canon, but the low frame rate doesn't work for the field sports I cover. The a99II sounds great on paper, but IMO I wouldn't switch due to lens selection limitations. And it being Sony, I'd have to give it a really good try to be sure its on-paper capabilities translated to real life expectations.

Aug 11, 2017 at 07:27 PM
joakim
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D850, now confirmed spec, what you think?

"0.75X OVF"

This looks interesting, I wonder how much this will help manual focusing?

Aug 11, 2017 at 07:53 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D850, now confirmed spec, what you think?

This is without doubt a very interesting camera. It does the Sony A7rII one better with just a bit more resolution, a bit higher frames per second, likely better low ISO performance (but probably not high ISO), and very likely quite a bit better auto focus. I am glad they included the silent shutter, but you will be stuck using the LCD for that, which probably isn't going to be a great experience. Someday Canon and Nikon are going to figure out if they want to compete with mirrorless cameras with things like a silent shutter they are going to need at minimum an add on EVF.

It will be interesting on the details of the sensor, but it looks to me like they used a stacked 4th generation Exmoor sensor, which is an excellent choice in my view and it will be the first of its kind (the A9 is a stacked 5th generation, i.e., BSI, Exmoor). That means it should have excellent low ISO with great dynamic range, have quite fast readout (but not as fast as the A9), and still be very good for high ISO (but here the 5th generation Exmoor will exceed it).

In the recent cameras Canon split their 5D line into the fast shooting lower Mpix 5D IV and their slower shooting high Mpix 5Ds(r). They are very similar in price. It looks like Nikon decided to try to have both a high resolution and fast shooting camera with the D850. It might not have quite the speed of the 5D IV and it is just shy in Mpix of the 5Ds, but to me it looks awfully impressive having all that capability in one camera. It makes you wonder what Sony will do. Will they take the Canon route and make an A7rIII and an A9r or will they take the Nikon route and try to make a camera that is both fast and high Mpix? Even if they take the Nikon route, I would expect the Sony camera to be quite different, which I think will leave the Nikon D850 as a relatively unique camera (although the A-mount Sony A99 II is like it in a number of ways).

Interesting times indeed and I am very happy for the Nikon shooters who it looks like got a great camera.

Aug 11, 2017 at 08:07 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · D850, now confirmed spec, what you think?

joakim wrote:
"0.75X OVF"

Probably not much. The trouble is that the contrast level doesn't let you see depth of field differences at apertures wider than f/2 or so. For fast lenses that is a disaster for MF, in my view. You have to rely on AF confirmation and for me that totally wrecks MF.

Aug 11, 2017 at 08:10 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

zhangyue
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · D850, now confirmed spec, what you think?

That is not about manual focus but thing we called shooting experience.
With 1.2 magnifier, that is a 0.9 OVF camera. Nice.

Steve Spencer wrote:
Probably not much. The trouble is that the contrast level doesn't let you see depth of field differences at apertures wider than f/2 or so. For fast lenses that is a disaster for MF, in my view. You have to rely on AF confirmation and for me that totally wrecks MF.

Aug 11, 2017 at 08:18 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · D850, now confirmed spec, what you think?

Pretty much what I think about it. You nail it about spec on paper. Not to say Nikon is immune with that but based on my past experience, i can safely say it gonna be an impressive one once on hand.

rscheffler wrote:
Hmm, I've been a bit less frequent on the boards and didn't know Charles is now shooting Nikon? No matter. Michael, like you I think with Canikon it's just a matter of time when operation with the mirror down or up will be pretty much the same and on-par with mirrorless-only systems. I already feel my 1DXII is very close, just lacking an EVF and follow focus in stills mode. But that transition may not last long, if at all. My feeling is Canikon will want to move to a purely mirrorless system. Maybe the very top camera in each
...Show more

Aug 11, 2017 at 08:21 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · D850, now confirmed spec, what you think?

Nice summary. I think we all need shoot each camera to fully understand what it means. The spec sheet is pretty impressive just as Sony. The real meat is on hand experience. I am gonna get this and report back.

As for DR, I no longer think it is that much important all those .7 here or 1.2 stop there doesn't really do much for me. Leica S0006 is pretty pathetic on paper but files quality is better IMO during most shooting condition to both Sony and Nikon save for HIGH DR case. With sun in frame or real challenging condition, you still need bracket or let highlight go even with best DR camera. For most day to day use, lift shadow is pretty genourous now with any camera even ApsC.

Steve Spencer wrote:
This is without doubt a very interesting camera. It does the Sony A7rII one better with just a bit more resolution, a bit higher frames per second, likely better low ISO performance (but probably not high ISO), and very likely quite a bit better auto focus. I am glad they included the silent shutter, but you will be stuck using the LCD for that, which probably isn't going to be a great experience. Someday Canon and Nikon are going to figure out if they want to compete with mirrorless cameras with things like a silent shutter they are going
...Show more

Aug 11, 2017 at 08:30 PM
Lee Saxon
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · D850, now confirmed spec, what you think?

joakim wrote:
"0.75X OVF"

Steve Spencer wrote:

Yeah, and I just put an S-type screen in my D750 and I don't see much difference. Though I desperately need new glasses at the moment so I may change my tune soon.

Aug 11, 2017 at 09:29 PM
leonasj
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · D850, now confirmed spec, what you think?

charles.K wrote:

i am glad i have moved my lens system to leica m,sl,tl2,q

Aug 11, 2017 at 09:34 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · D850, now confirmed spec, what you think?

Too bad for you

leonasj wrote:
i am glad i have moved my lens system to leica m,sl,tl2,q

Aug 11, 2017 at 09:45 PM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · D850, now confirmed spec, what you think?

This will be an expensive year. Getting a Sony A9 for my Leica lenses (and a few native Sony optics), and a D850 for my Nikkors.

Aug 11, 2017 at 10:22 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · D850, now confirmed spec, what you think?

How you like your A9 compare to D810? I will have to try it myself before even think about it.

A7RII doesn't meet my expectation on many ways. And my Sony lens perchase experience is very painful. I have to return/exchange a few lenses and finally changed lens from planned 70-200 to 70-300 to get a decent copy.

Arka wrote:
This will be an expensive year. Getting a Sony A9 for my Leica lenses (and a few native Sony optics), and a D850 for my Nikkors.

Aug 11, 2017 at 10:55 PM
frezeiss
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · D850, now confirmed spec, what you think?

Not interested in big FF dslrs, I dont miss lugging them around. If theres an MF densor in it, I could work out some muscles

Aug 12, 2017 at 02:49 AM
davewolfs
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · D850, now confirmed spec, what you think?

Manual fun but sometimes I'm a little bit over it.

I sold some beautiful Nikon lenses 24-70, 35mm 1.4, 24mm 1.4.

If I were to buy I'd scoop this up with a 58mm and a 200-500. What a combo.

Still not sure how I'd feel traveling with this. An A7II with a small manual lens is a lot less to carry than a DSLR.

Aug 12, 2017 at 05:48 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password