New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Travel Tripod: GT0545T vs. GT1555T

Kikkomann

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Travel Tripod: GT0545T vs. GT1555T

I am in the market for the smallest (when folded/closed), and lightest CF travel tripod. I have narrowed down my options to either Gitzo GT0545T and Gitzo GT1555T.

- GT0545T - 14.4 inches when closed, 4 sections, 90kg/2.0lbs, 122.5cm/48.2” fully extended.
- GT1555T - 14 inches when closed, 5 sections, 1.03kg/2.3lbs, 138cm/54.3” fully extended.

That 5 sections concern me, because that last leg will surely be thin. But it is a tad more compact. Any recommendation? And which ballhead would go well with either of these two?

Aug 11, 2017 at 11:22 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Travel Tripod: GT0545T vs. GT1555T

I've been using the older GT-0540 CF for about ten years, off & on; maybe twice a year. It's been fine for me. I use it with a RRS BH-25 head.

Aug 11, 2017 at 11:59 AM
WestTexas Sky
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Travel Tripod: GT0545T vs. GT1555T

Gitzo makes a good tripod. I picked up a GT1541T as a travel tripod. A little bigger when folded the the two you are looking at but even extended does a good job with my A7R and small primes.

A Sirui 025x will be about a foot folded but is only around 36" tall setup. I don't think the center column is stable enough and removed it.

If your main concern is folded length and it's just the two you mention, I would go with the 1 series unless you are backpacking the AT our something when ever ounce counts.
Good luck.

Aug 12, 2017 at 07:40 PM
hiepphotog
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Travel Tripod: GT0545T vs. GT1555T

I have been using the 0545 for a year now. A tremendous travel companion. I have found a single instance where I would want a sturdier tripod. I did some shots near the shoreline with constant wave hitting the tripod. With a little weight, the tripod is solid for the purpose.

I am personally using the P0 Hybrid head. But I need a geared head, and it's the best for my purpose.

Aug 12, 2017 at 07:49 PM
Kikkomann

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Travel Tripod: GT0545T vs. GT1555T

Thanks all for the reply. I went ahead and bought the GT0545. I think I will be sticking with my Q3T as the ball head.

Aug 14, 2017 at 01:46 PM
uscmatt99
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Travel Tripod: GT0545T vs. GT1555T

I've been using a Feisol 3441T as my travel tripod for a few years, and it has served me well. However, it remains a relatively long tripod when reverse folded at around 19" and I've always wanted something shorter and more compact in diameter. I have to say this thread inspired me to finally try out one of the Gitzo traveller tripods. I just bought a used 1555T from an Amazon distributor for $550 and will give it a spin on my next trip with the family to Budapest and Vienna. This tripod ought to snug up nicely on the bottom of my Peak Sling bag or could just jam into my F-stop backpack without having to strap it to the side. I have to say it's nice that they come with a short column and carry-strap from the factory.

I plan to pair it with my BH-25 when traveling light, mostly for family type shots (look at us in front of xxxx), or an Acratech GP-S for more purposeful shooting.

Aug 14, 2017 at 11:14 PM
WestTexas Sky
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Travel Tripod: GT0545T vs. GT1555T

Should be a good combo for you. When I got the 1541T I thought I might use my Kirk BH-3 with it, but that is really too big for it. I bought a Sunwayfoto FB28i which is very small and fits the tripod very well. So far it seems like a good little ballhead.

uscmatt99 wrote:
I've been using a Feisol 3441T as my travel tripod for a few years, and it has served me well. However, it remains a relatively long tripod when reverse folded at around 19" and I've always wanted something shorter and more compact in diameter. I have to say this thread inspired me to finally try out one of the Gitzo traveller tripods. I just bought a used 1555T from an Amazon distributor for $550 and will give it a spin on my next trip with the family to Budapest and Vienna. This tripod ought to snug up nicely on the
...Show more

Aug 15, 2017 at 07:13 AM
Chris Court
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Travel Tripod: GT0545T vs. GT1555T

I use the Markins Q3t ballhead on my 1541T. It's compact, beautifully built, has a great load rating (65lbs!!!) and is specifically designed for Traveller-style tripods to enable the legs to reverse cleanly. The only downside I've found is that it does tend to bind up sometimes – especially when rotational movement is applied to the quick release. All-in-all I would recommend it.

C

Aug 15, 2017 at 09:39 AM
uscmatt99
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Travel Tripod: GT0545T vs. GT1555T

Got my 1555T yesterday, in "used good" condition from an Amazon reseller. Wish they would have said it was missing a foot, as well as the short center column. I'm going to rig something up for my upcoming trip, no time to get another one. It's in great condition cosmetically and functionally though.

There was one squeaky lock and it was easy to disassemble and reassemble to fix. Overall it seems like a great product. Gets tall enough, and did fine with my 70-200 on long exposures at 200mm with center column down, though in completely still conditions with electronic first curtain shutter It is a much smaller package than my 3441T and I plan to put it through its paces the next two weeks. Will revisit the thread at that point.

Aug 18, 2017 at 07:03 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.