1       2       3              7      
       9              23       24       end

UPDATED D850 SPECS

wjmeyer
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.8 #1 · p.8 #1 · UPDATED D850 SPECS

mysh wrote:
My concern is with Nikons future success. I have never shot with another brand outside Nikon and I am heavily invested in Nikon Glass. I really want them to succeed and I just wonder if this camera will bring back some of the people from SOny and Fuji. Only time will tell.

Just out of curiosity, you infer there was some kind of exodus from Nikon to Sony/Fuji and while there will always be photographers who switch and try something new, what was Nikon not offering that caused this switch?

When I was in the prime of my wedding photography career I was very frustrated with Canon (whom I had been loyal to since the film days) so when Nikon released the D700 I decided to jump ship and swim to the Nikonian shores. It was a very expensive endeavor to switch systems but one that made sense as my % of keeper shots definitely increased over Canon - Nikon just suited my shooting style better than Canon did. Then when I went into semi-retirement from my photography business I decided I didn't want to carry around all the "big" gear and invested in the Olympus/Panasonic 4/3 system but while I loved the flexibility of 4/3 I still shot a lot of "action" shots and those systems were not up to par with AF on moving subjects so I went back to Nikon with the D7100 release and just recently acquired a D500 because while the D7100 is decent it wasn't the experience I had with my D700/D3s bodies so I'm hoping the D500 will bring that amazing AF experience back.

Now with the D850, I am intrigued. When they introduced the D800 and said it was the D700 replacement I laughed, as a wedding photographer the D800 was not what I was looking for (I wanted better AF and better high ISO) and at the time, the thought of my post process workflow with massive 36MP files was not exciting; however, things have changed in the 5+ years since the D800 was introduced and the storage and speeds have increased considerably so I don't think workflow is going to take a huge hit and with the D5/D500 AF system and "claims" of better high ISO, DR, massive buffer and impressive framerate and so forth, I think the D850 may be something I could seriously consider. My hope is that Nikon keeps the price of the D850 within the range of the D800/810, but I'm not sure this is realistic, but I can hope can't I

Aug 12, 2017 at 08:15 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.8 #2 · p.8 #2 · UPDATED D850 SPECS

tdlavigne wrote:
lol, just read through 7 pages of people who are obviously paid by Nikon to use their gear...wish I was on that program. Then maybe I too would be rude and disrespectful to others who don't share my super-positive opinion on Nikon gear.

The stupid comment you made in your first sentence shows you are already rude.

Aug 12, 2017 at 08:46 PM
JohnK007
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.8 #3 · p.8 #3 · UPDATED D850 SPECS

mysh wrote:
I hope everyone is right and this is the camera to bring Nikon back towards the top. They desperately need it.

What are you talking about? Nikon is already at the top. Nikon has more top-rated cameras, and more top-rated lenses, than Canon and Sony put together.

Are you suffering from depression, or is there some other reason why you can't get excited about what is obviously an amazingly-capable camera?

mysh wrote:
I have been critical but not from a personal standpoint. As long as it has as good as or better DR then the D810 I will likely buy it. It does have some things I have wanted for awhile like, Wifi, BT, tiltscreen, button lights etc. I am also excited to see the bigger VF.

I am quite sure it will do everything better than the D810, same as the D500 does everything better than the D300.

mysh wrote:
My concern is with Nikons future success. I have never shot with another brand outside Nikon and I am heavily invested in Nikon Glass. I really want them to succeed and I just wonder if this camera will bring back some of the people from SOny and Fuji. Only time will tell.

Dude, stop kicking rocks, have a cup of coffee, and let the sun hit you for awhile, so you can cheer up.

You're confusing "market share" with success and greatness of product.

Canon is like Toyota ... they will always have more "market share" than Porsche ... but that doesn't mean Toyotas are better cars than Porsche's or are "more fun to drive," just because they sell more of them

Most people's budgets keep them in Toyotas and Hondas ... and Porsche will never have their sales portfolio ... but that doesn't change the fact *everyone* would rather drive a Porsche than a Toyota

Stop being so glum. Stop worrying that Nikon isn't #1 in market share ... and start paying attention to the fact they have more top-tier cameras, and more top-tier glass, than both Canon and Sony put together.

Get out and feel the sun on your face. Be happy you're shooting Nikon ... and be even happier that they're just about to come out with one helluva new camera ... again!

Edited on Aug 12, 2017 at 09:38 PM · View previous versions

Aug 12, 2017 at 09:34 PM
Dj R
• • •
p.8 #4 · p.8 #4 · UPDATED D850 SPECS

mysh wrote:
I hope everyone is right and this is the camera to bring Nikon back towards the top. They desperately need it.

I have been critical but not from a personal standpoint. As long as it has as good as or better DR then the D810 I will likely buy it. It does have some things I have wanted for awhile like, Wifi, BT, tiltscreen, button lights etc. I am also excited to see the bigger VF.

My concern is with Nikons future success. I have never shot with another brand outside Nikon and I am heavily invested in Nikon Glass. I really
...Show more

I feel like Sony isn't fully ready yet. They got a lot right recently. Most of the tech is there. But that new body is far too tiny. put a pro 85mm on it, and it looks like a toy. sounds backwards, that I would prefer larger, but I would. d750 size at minimum. LOVE the d500 body, which is what the d850 will be, so that is cool.

there are plenty going to Sony and fuji
and there are plenty coming back from Sony and fuji, ha!

but longterm, Sony is really looking good.
same as you, heavy on nikkor glass. so I hope they figure out mirrorless, b/c we'll be set!

Edited on Aug 12, 2017 at 11:55 PM · View previous versions

Aug 12, 2017 at 09:38 PM
Frode
• •
p.8 #5 · p.8 #5 · UPDATED D850 SPECS

Exiting, though also a bit sceptical since I was not impressed by the D810 and its performance regarding high iso (3200 and above) in low light (golden eagle at dusk). The D4s gets the job done, though :-).

The dynamic range and performance at the lower end iso (64) was REALLY impressive, though!

Aug 12, 2017 at 09:50 PM
mysh
• • •
p.8 #6 · p.8 #6 · UPDATED D850 SPECS

YOu obviously don't pay attention or get it. It's not about the quality of the cameras being made its called business. Nikon is doing really bad right now and if they don't turn the ship around soon financially Nikon could go away. I know its hard to believe since they are a large company but large companies can go under and Nikon recently has a lot of the signs of a company in trouble.

There was a lot of news reports in the last year about Nikon that were exaggerated but there was truth in those reports and Nikon needs to change their direction. I am not speaking of camera quality I am speaking about market share.

Nikon has had some big losers recently. I know its hard to understand if you only pay attention to high end DSLR but they have tried other things that didn't work at all.

A company can make great products and still go under.

I think it is more likely they would be bought first but I don't want to see that either.

As DJ R said they really need to figure out mirrorless and hopefully we will see that by the end of the year. I just hope the D850 will be the first of a few homeruns in a row. Nikon needs it.

JohnK007 wrote:
What are you talking about? Nikon is already at the top. Nikon has more top-rated cameras, and more top-rated lenses, than Canon and Sony put together.

Are you suffering from depression, or is there some other reason why you can't get excited about what is obviously an amazingly-capable camera?

I am quite sure it will do everything better than the D810, same as the D500 does everything better than the D300.

Dude, stop kicking rocks, have a cup of coffee, and let the sun hit you for awhile, so you can cheer up.

You're confusing "market share" with success and greatness of product.

Canon is
...Show more

Aug 13, 2017 at 12:33 AM
wjmeyer
• • •
p.8 #7 · p.8 #7 · UPDATED D850 SPECS

mysh wrote:
I just hope the D850 will be the first of a few homeruns in a row. Nikon needs it.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding but I would say the D5 was a homerun and definitely the D500 was a homerun, the D850 is yet another within this excellent series... obviously we have to wait and see, but once all the dust settles I think Nikon has an excellent trio similar to what the D3/D300 and D700 were a decade ago.

Aug 13, 2017 at 01:06 AM
Dj R
• • •
p.8 #8 · p.8 #8 · UPDATED D850 SPECS

D810 home run
D750 home run
D5 home run
D500 home run
D850 looks to be a two-run home run, but still down three runs with two outs in th B9th.
Figuring out mirrorless so we can use our Nikkor glass forever.... GRAND SLAM and the only way they can win the game.

Aug 13, 2017 at 01:09 AM
henry albert
• • •
p.8 #9 · p.8 #9 · UPDATED D850 SPECS

wjmeyer wrote:
... what was Nikon not offering that caused this switch?

Slow and erratic focus, over-heating internals, viewfinders with built-in lag, poor pro support.

Aug 13, 2017 at 01:46 AM
henry albert
• • •
p.8 #10 · p.8 #10 · UPDATED D850 SPECS

wjmeyer wrote:
Maybe I'm misunderstanding but I would say the D5 was a homerun and definitely the D500 was a homerun, the D850 is yet another within this excellent series... obviously we have to wait and see, but once all the dust settles I think Nikon has an excellent trio similar to what the D3/D300 and D700 were a decade ago.

The D5 and D500 were line drives into the upper deck. The D850 may be a majestic shot into the parking lot.

Aug 13, 2017 at 01:50 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

JohnK007
• • •
p.8 #11 · p.8 #11 · UPDATED D850 SPECS

Dj R wrote:
D810 home run
D750 home run
D5 home run
D500 home run
D850 looks to be a two-run home run, but still down three runs with two outs in th B9th.
Figuring out mirrorless so we can use our Nikkor glass forever.... GRAND SLAM and the only way they can win the game.

810 was a 3-run home run.
D750 was a double.
D5 was a standing triple, driving in 2 runs.
D500 was a grand slam for its class, no doubt.
D850 will be another grand slam, out of the park with this one, bases loaded.

Who gives a flip about mirrorless? They're too small for long glass.

Nikon will offer world class mirrorless by 2018 ... but DSLRs will still be in demand, believe that.

Nikon is already ahead in the race of top quality lineup ... and, mark my words, there will be a MAJOR exodus of Canon shooters moving to Nikon when the D850 comes out ... and, if Sony puts out another 'almost' and falls short of the D850 ... Sony users will move too.

Another D610, or comparable dud, and a huge percentage of Canon shooters will move ... as I did just over a year ago.

People keep hoping Canon will deliver in the next iteration, and Canon always falls short.

People expect Nikon to deliver in the next iteration, and Nikon delivers.

Aug 13, 2017 at 02:02 AM
JohnK007
• • •
p.8 #12 · p.8 #12 · UPDATED D850 SPECS

UPDATED SPECS:

♦ 45.75MP full frame CMOS sensor
♦ New and improved version of SnapBridge
♦ No built-in GPS
♦ Tiltable LCD (3.2", 2.36 million dots)
♦ Fully functional touchscreen: supports touch AF, touch shutter and touch menu
♦ Memory card slots: one SD and one XQD
♦ AF system from the D5 (153 points, 130% frame coverage compared to the D810, all AF points @ -3EV, middle/center crosshair sensor @-4EV)
♦ New smaller AF point
♦ No built-in flash
♦ Back illuminated buttons
♦ Joystick selector
♦ Built-in Bluetooth and Wi-Fi
♦ 8K time-lapse video capabilities
♦ 4k UHD video in FX format (with no crop)
♦ No EVF or hybrid viewfinder
♦ Slo-mo full HD 120fps video
♦ The SD slot will support UHS-II
♦ Improved LiveView split-screen display
♦ Improved silent shooting mode: fully-silent, no-sound electronic shutter in live view (6 fps silent shooting, no mechanical movement, can shoot up to 30fps @ 8MP with the electronic shutter)
♦ Improved battery life
♦ Lighter than the D810
♦ Native ISO range: 64-25,600
♦ ISO 64 extendable down to ISO 32 (Lo1 = 32, Hi 2 = 108,400)
♦ 7fps without grip, 9fps with grip (MB-D18a battery grip and the EN-EL18a battery)
♦ 51 images raw buffer at 14-bit RAW
♦ 0.75x optical viewfinder (largest ever on a Nikon FX cameras)
♦ 180k RGB meter
♦ No AA filter
♦ Supports for Nikon wireless transmitter WT-7
♦ Built-in focus stacking: up to 300 pictures with up to 10 levels of focusing steps (still need external software)
♦ Price will be CNY 23,999 or around $3,600 (source: Chinese forum)
♦ Announcement date could be August 16th
♦ RAW sizes: small, medium, large
♦ New 1:1 mode
♦ New natural light AWB

https://nikonrumors.com/2017/08/12/nikon-d850-specifications-recap.aspx

Aug 13, 2017 at 02:06 AM
Vcook
• • •
p.8 #13 · p.8 #13 · UPDATED D850 SPECS

will it give me a confirmation beep for focus with MF lenses? That'd be nice. The above list has me giving it serious consideration.

Aug 13, 2017 at 02:18 AM
Dj R
• • •
p.8 #14 · p.8 #14 · UPDATED D850 SPECS

JohnK007 wrote:
810 was a 3-run home run.
D750 was a double.
D5 was a standing triple, driving in 2 runs.
D500 was a grand slam for its class, no doubt.
D850 will be another grand slam, out of the park with this one, bases loaded.

Who gives a flip about mirrorless? They're too small for long glass.

Nikon will offer world class mirrorless by 2018 ... but DSLRs will still be in demand, believe that.

Nikon is already ahead in the race of top quality lineup ... and, mark my words, there will be a MAJOR exodus of Canon shooters moving to Nikon when the D850 comes out
...Show more

they can make a mirrorless bigger if they choose to, obviously. that would be good.
if you don't think Sony is doing great things, I suggest you check them out. completely quiet, and 60fps, etc. If you have already checked it out and just don't like the tech, then my bad, we just disagree.
mirrorless is the future.

Aug 13, 2017 at 02:39 AM
JohnK007
• • •
p.8 #15 · p.8 #15 · UPDATED D850 SPECS

Dj R wrote:
they can make a mirrorless bigger if they choose to, obviously. that would be good.
if you don't think Sony is doing great things, I suggest you check them out. completely quiet, and 60fps, etc. If you have already checked it out and just don't like the tech, then my bad, we just disagree.
mirrorless is the future.

60fps?

1) that is an exaggeration of reality, and 2) it would be hell deleting all the BS off your card/hard drive.

I have checked Sony out and their specs are an exaggeration.

If you looked at all the nature/sports awards, no one was using them. Its okay if we disagree, but maybe we agree on many points?

I agree with you that Sony has some great tech, and some cool ideas; they're just an incomplete system IMO, and only worthwhile if you have minimal lens needs.

What you're failing to see is Nikon has some 'great tech' too ... far more of it than Sony in fact ... and a much, much, MUCH better lens selection.

Sony has done some very cool things ... but so has Nikon.

At the end of the day, I think it will be FAR easier for Nikon to come up with a few mirrorless cameras ... than it will be for Sony to come close to the lead in LENSES that Nikon has ... over everyone.

Nikon has more class-leading lenses than Zeiss, Canon, or Sony. And more than any two of them put together. Remember that.

Some people missed it, but Nikon's president said he will be incorporating some of their Apo industrial lens technology into their future consumer lenses.

Nikon is not playing. I think it is pretty clear, by what they're putting out there, that they intend to dominate ... and they are, quality-wise.

I expect Canon to lose its lead in 2 years ... unless they stop floundering in mediocrity.

Aug 13, 2017 at 02:50 AM
Dj R
• • •
p.8 #16 · p.8 #16 · UPDATED D850 SPECS

JohnK007 wrote:
At the end of the day, I think it will be FAR easier for Nikon to come up with a few mirrorless cameras ... than it will be for Sony to come close to the lead in LENSES that Nikon has ... over everyone.

1. 60fps is reality. check it out
2. your statement above. I completely get it, but maybe "FAR easier" is a stretch since nikon is going to be last to market lol. they have failed to figure it out for a couple years now. which is only main reason they lost market share.

overall. I'm with you. cheers

Aug 13, 2017 at 03:31 AM
JohnK007
• • •
p.8 #17 · p.8 #17 · UPDATED D850 SPECS

Dj R wrote:
1. 60fps is reality. check it out

1. Not at 46 mpx. (and who wants to look at that many iterations of the same image?)

Dj R wrote:
2. your statement above. I completely get it, but maybe "FAR easier" is a stretch since nikon is going to be last to market lol. they have failed to figure it out for a couple years now. which is only main reason they lost market share.

1. "Last to market' gives Nikon the time to analyze the failings of others. Remember, just 2 years ago, everyone was buzzing about Samsung ... and then Samsung folded and quit. Rushing into something new isn't always good ... and taking your time, to analyze everything, before committing, isn't always bad.

2. I don't think Nikon has 'lost' market share; I think Sony has gained market share, mostly from Canon defectors.

3. I think at least 30-60% of those who have 'bought into Sony' are frustrated by the LACK of available options ... and can quickly be coaxed back into the Nikon fold ... and I think the D850 (backed by Nikon's incredible array of supporting products) gives MOST people 'a warm, fuzzy feeling' ... over the barren cold of Sony's lack of same.

Dj R wrote:
overall. I'm with you. cheers

I'll drink to that

Aug 13, 2017 at 03:47 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.8 #18 · p.8 #18 · UPDATED D850 SPECS

JohnK007 wrote:
1. Not at 46 mpx. (and who wants to look at that many iterations of the same image?)

The Oly E-M1 Mk II also shoots at 60fps in electronic mode.

Well if you are shooting baseball e.g. and want to catch the ball crossing the plate, 60fps will increase your chances over shooting 10fps by tenfold.

Aug 13, 2017 at 04:23 AM
JohnK007
• • •
p.8 #19 · p.8 #19 · UPDATED D850 SPECS

Imagemaster wrote:
The Oly E-M1 Mk II also shoots at 60fps in electronic mode.

At 46mpx?

Imagemaster wrote:
Well if you are shooting baseball e.g. and want to catch the ball crossing the plate, 60fps will increase your chances over shooting 10fps by tenfold.

Actually, only by 6-fold.

How are the *super-tele primes* available to Olympus users, compared to Nikon, for reaching out to capture those images (in the closest proximity and) in the highest-resolution possible?

How many Olympus cameras do you see at sporting events?

That said, which do you think will take longer to evolve?

1) Nikon coming up with a mirrorless equivalent (superior) to an Olympus mirrorless?; or

2) Olympus coming anywhere near Nikon's depth and breadth of a super-telephoto lens profile?

Edited on Aug 13, 2017 at 04:34 AM · View previous versions

Aug 13, 2017 at 04:28 AM
brian_sp
• • • •
p.8 #20 · p.8 #20 · UPDATED D850 SPECS

♦ No built-in GPS

major fail, tsk tsk nikon!

j/k

Aug 13, 2017 at 04:33 AM
1       2       3              7      
       9              23       24       end