1       2       3              22      
       24       end

Archive 2017 · UPDATED D850 SPECS

JohnK007
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.23 #1 · p.23 #1 · UPDATED D850 SPECS

bs kite wrote:
"Read this 3X" is not "live"....not clickable.

It wasn't designed to be. I wrote that to make you read the previous sentence 3x.

bs kite wrote:
Yes, I know that. At the same time, we are all different and there are those of us who use DX.

The only reason to shoot DX is for 'reach.' It comes at the compromise of quality.

A DX camera gives you a 50% increase in reach (1.5x compared to 1x).

The D850 is more than double the pixel density of the D500. That means, aside from producing cleaner images than the D500, even if you crop-in 50%, the D850 is still going to produce a better image than the D500.

A 10fps D500 vs. a 9fps D850 is a losing battle, on every level, for the D500.

I love my D500 ... but I will love my D850 even more

bs kite wrote:
BTW, the D850 does not do everything better than the D500.

Yes it does.

bs kite wrote:
What do you shoot primarily? Landscapes right?

Everything from macro ... to landscapes ... to birds.

bs kite wrote:
You don't shoot DX. Does that mean everyone should not be interested in DX?

Yes I do. I shoot the D500 and the D810.

Soon, however, you will be right ... with the D850 there will be ZERO advantage in shooting DX, so I won't be shooting it any more.

Aug 24, 2017 at 07:39 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.23 #2 · p.23 #2 · UPDATED D850 SPECS

The bickering is getting to dpr level.

It is a camera. A pretty cool camera. If you like what you see ... enjoy.
To arm chair what it should of been... why. It is done.

Good stuff for Nikon shooter....

Mark

Aug 24, 2017 at 08:01 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.23 #3 · p.23 #3 · UPDATED D850 SPECS

bs kite wrote:
What do you shoot primarily? Landscapes right? I think so. And that is great. Wish I was good at it

Surely because you do not shoot DX, you do not feel everyone should not shoot DX?

Don't assume what others shoot or don't shoot. It is presumptuous.

Aug 24, 2017 at 09:33 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.23 #4 · p.23 #4 · UPDATED D850 SPECS

CanadaMark wrote:
Canadian....

So do you guys have to add PST and GST (Is that what you call it) to that price. In Australia it's illegal to advertise anything but actual price you pay, so it must include GST, we don't have state taxes on goods. Here the RRP is $5399 which is a joke, converting from USD and adding 10% GST would price it around $4600AUD.

Aug 24, 2017 at 09:51 PM
Lauchlan Toal
• • •
p.23 #5 · p.23 #5 · UPDATED D850 SPECS

Pixel Perfect wrote:
So do you guys have to add PST and GST (Is that what you call it) to that price. In Australia it's illegal to advertise anything but actual price you pay, so it must include GST, we don't have state taxes on goods. Here the RRP is $5399 which is a joke, converting from USD and adding 10% GST would price it around $4600AUD.

That's not as terrible as I thought then. In NS we have 15% sales tax, so the D850'll be equivalent to $5120 AUS after taxes. So the Australian price is still a bit excessive, but at least it's not $5400 plus tax like I'd thought. Though other Canadian provinces will have it even cheaper, NS is perhaps an unfair comparison.

Aug 24, 2017 at 10:27 PM
RoyC
• • •
p.23 #6 · p.23 #6 · UPDATED D850 SPECS

Listing advertised prices from various countries is always miss leading unless you know the tax structure. US advertised retail is always prior to any taxes. Which could include sales taxes for the State, the County and the City. OTOH, we have a number of States with zero sales taxes. The kind of place you want to be visiting when making a large purchase. And a month from now I will be in one of those States....Hummmmm

Aug 24, 2017 at 10:37 PM
Lauchlan Toal
• • •
p.23 #7 · p.23 #7 · UPDATED D850 SPECS

RoyC wrote:
Listing advertised prices from various countries is always miss leading unless you know the tax structure. US advertised retail is always prior to any taxes. Which could include sales taxes for the State, the County and the City. OTOH, we have a number of States with zero sales taxes. The kind of place you want to be visiting when making a large purchase. And a month from now I will be in one of those States....Hummmmm

So it seems, I didn't realize that other countries advertised with tax included until now, pretty cool that what you see is what you pay.

0% sales tax would be pretty nice, best we have is 5% in Alberta - but luckily The Camera Store (TCS TV on Youtube) is there, so later this year or next year I might have to head down there...

Aug 24, 2017 at 10:49 PM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.23 #8 · p.23 #8 · UPDATED D850 SPECS

Oh crap. I'm getting one. But I just bought an A9 as well... this is going to be an expensive camera year.... Better sell some stuff.

Aug 25, 2017 at 12:23 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.23 #9 · p.23 #9 · UPDATED D850 SPECS

Lauchlan Toal wrote:
That's not as terrible as I thought then. In NS we have 15% sales tax, so the D850'll be equivalent to $5120 AUS after taxes. So the Australian price is still a bit excessive, but at least it's not $5400 plus tax like I'd thought. Though other Canadian provinces will have it even cheaper, NS is perhaps an unfair comparison.

Our dollar is a bit lower than the Canadian vs US, so the price differential is not too much, but we both get ripped. Even feel worse for the UK, the list price is £3499 which would be about $5900AUD, but that probably doesn't include the gob-smacking 20% VAT.

Aug 25, 2017 at 12:35 AM
Stoffer
• • •
p.23 #10 · p.23 #10 · UPDATED D850 SPECS

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Our dollar is a bit lower than the Canadian vs US, so the price differential is not too much, but we both get ripped. Even feel worse for the UK, the list price is £3499 which would be about $5900AUD, but that probably doesn't include the gob-smacking 20% VAT.

Well, the price in Denmark is 30.195 D.kr including the 25% VAT, so that is a bit more expensive than the UK price. But then the VAT in UK is 20%, not 25%.

The Danish price is about 6000 AUD, so you can take some solace in that.

The price is, however, lower than what Canon took for the 5D Mark IV when it was launched in Denmark, and is about 14 percent more expensive than what the Nikon D810 cost at launch. I was afraid that the D850 would be about 10 percent more expensive that the price it ended with, so all in all a OK from me.

Aug 25, 2017 at 01:58 AM
brian_sp
• • • •
[X]
p.23 #11 · p.23 #11 · UPDATED D850 SPECS

just checked in at Aden camera

d850 = 4299.99

for laughs i decided to check the 5d4 - on sale, 4299.00 regular price 4499.99

canon exes must really do some primo drugs to charge that much for a body that came no where near the specs the d850 has

i first balked at the price of the d850 but hell, comparing to what one would get for a higher price the d850 is the deal of the century

Aug 25, 2017 at 02:33 AM
bs kite
• • • • •
p.23 #12 · p.23 #12 · UPDATED D850 SPECS

JohnK007

I have not removed my D850 pre-order and won't.

I did not buy the D810 when it came out. But after seeing its files I was excited and wanted those files. I contemplated getting it. But it was just too slow for me. So I continued to wait.

So I have wanted this D850 camera for a very, very long time.

It is the suped-up engine combined with the superior files!!!

I did not necessarily care about the 45+ mpx. I loved the D810 files I saw next to the D500 files. I want that.

I just needed to digest this DX thing. I do not like it, but reading the discussions has helped much I am about through it now.

Robert

So I am not passing up this D850 camera. I'll adapt to it, and the D500 will be my backup. Wanted you to know

Aug 25, 2017 at 02:55 AM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.23 #13 · p.23 #13 · UPDATED D850 SPECS

Pixel Perfect wrote:

Well I live in Alberta, so there is only 5% GST which I think is the lowest. Other provinces have PST on top of their GST, or a blended value called HST. Prices do not include any taxes.

Here we have minimum advertised prices that are controlled by the manufacturer, but you can skirt the rules by having "add to cart to see price" or other similar strategies.

We are getting screwed on the exchange rate too (Nikon is using a worse one), but it's not by a lot, and we get 2 years on camera bodies here instead of 1 in the USA, so that's worth something.

Aug 25, 2017 at 09:44 AM
JohnK007
• • •
p.23 #14 · p.23 #14 · UPDATED D850 SPECS

bs kite wrote:
JohnK007

I have not removed my D850 pre-order and won't.

I did not buy the D810 when it came out. But after seeing its files I was excited and wanted those files. I contemplated getting it. But it was just too slow for me. So I continued to wait.

So I have wanted this D850 camera for a very, very long time.

Makes sense. I purchased the D810 first and then the D500 after that.

Was primarily a macro shooter, but after buying a 300mm + TC started getting into birds.

The 300mm was originally used on my D810, but has pretty much been glued to the D500 since I got it

I really do love my D810, but you're right, it's very slow and cannot compare to the D500 as an action camera.

bs kite wrote:
It is the suped-up engine combined with the superior files!!!

I did not necessarily care about the 45+ mpx. I loved the D810 files I saw next to the D500 files. I want that.

I just needed to digest this DX thing. I do not like it, but reading the discussions has helped much I am about through it now.

Robert

I think we're in a similar spot. I don't really care for 45+ mpx files either, they take up a lot of space, and I think it's very cool that Nikon addressed this conundrum by offering various RAW file sizes to choose from.

But, even if the D850 has identical Base ISO and DR to the D810, it is still world class image quality, and to add a better Live View, 9fps (with grip), and the D500's AF ability ... will just push it over-the-top for me as a totally-useful tool that will basically have zero weaknesses.

bs kite wrote:
So I am not passing up this D850 camera. I'll adapt to it, and the D500 will be my backup. Wanted you to know

Glad to hear it. I am not sure what I am going to do, to be honest. I already sold my first D500 ... in anticipation of the D850 ... and then missed the hell out of it and bought another. (I didn't think the D850 would be available so soon!) Now that the D850 is just around the corner, and even better than expected, I may sell my D500 once again.

However, like you, I am trying to adapt. I may just keep my D500 as a dedicated macro camera. Macro doesn't need huge DR compared to landscape. The extra reach is effective in macro because it helps me frame the shot. When I reverse-mount my lenses, the D500 turns a 2.1x shot into 3x magnification, and a 3.4x shot into 5x magnification. I am liking this

In mulling everything over, if the Base ISO is the same, I will probably keep my D810 for that (I don't need a fast shutter for landscape), and bring-in the D850 as my wildlife camera for my 300mm ... moving my D500 as my dedicated macro camera. This feels better to me, much more so than losing money (again) selling perfectly-good cameras, while at the same time enabling me to benefit from this new one. Thanks for your thoughts.

Aug 25, 2017 at 10:03 AM
JohnK007
• • •
p.23 #15 · p.23 #15 · UPDATED D850 SPECS

Not sure if this has already been posted, but here is a link to the accompanying brochure:

http://cdn-4.nikon-cdn.com/e/Q5NM96RZZo-YRYNeYvAi9beHK4x3L-8h09FYyKWnWU6L2l14O7STBw==/Misc/D850_brochure.pdf

Of interest to me, since most of my glass is MF, is what the details say about enhanced MF ability:

1. "In addition to offering superb autofocus performance, the D850 also makes manual focusing more precise. Its electronic rangefinder identifies whether a subject is in focus more accurately than ever before, allowing you to capture sharp images when focusing in manual mode, or using a manual focus lens."

Will be interesting to see if there is a noticeable difference.

Aug 25, 2017 at 10:24 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.23 #16 · p.23 #16 · UPDATED D850 SPECS

It seems that if I buy online from TCS it only charges me 5% GST even though I'm in BC. Have others confirmed this is how it works? I thought I'd get charged both GST and PST based on my shipping location. This is new to me as in the Yukon I had only 5% GST so no matter where I ordered from I only paid 5%. Oddly I also entered a BC address at CameraCanada in Ontario and they only were charging 5% GST for my BC address. So I'm confused as to why I wouldn't be paying BC taxes on an online purchase?? Any other Canadians know how this usually works?

Aug 25, 2017 at 11:38 AM
carlitos
• • •
p.23 #17 · p.23 #17 · UPDATED D850 SPECS

JohnK007 wrote:
Not sure if this has already been posted, but here is a link to the accompanying brochure:

http://cdn-4.nikon-cdn.com/e/Q5NM96RZZo-YRYNeYvAi9beHK4x3L-8h09FYyKWnWU6L2l14O7STBw==/Misc/D850_brochure.pdf

Of interest to me, since most of my glass is MF, is what the details say about enhanced MF ability:

1. "In addition to offering superb autofocus performance, the D850 also makes manual focusing more precise. Its electronic rangefinder identifies whether a subject is in focus more accurately than ever before, allowing you to capture sharp images when focusing in manual mode, or using a manual focus lens."

Hope so. All my lenses are Nikon manual focus. But focus stacking may push me into buying an auto focus lens. Which one? Thinking maybe 35/1.8 or 58/1.4.

Aug 25, 2017 at 11:44 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.23 #18 · p.23 #18 · UPDATED D850 SPECS

JohnK007 wrote:

Nice find. Sounds like Nikon finally changed the algorithm of the rangefinder to not intentionally increase the range of focus positions that produce a solid focus confirmation when the camera and/or lens are in manual focus mode. You can see the effects of this algorithm by using an AF lens: set the body+lens in AF but then manually focus the lens - you'll notice that the range of focus producing a solid focus confirmation is very tight (and accurate). Then switch the lens or body into MF mode and do the same - you'll notice the range of focus producing the confirmation is much looser and thus less accurate. I suspect Nikon originally did this to make MF faster, ie to get the photographer in the ballpark without requiring precise focus ring movements by the user. Unfortunately it has the side effect of being much less accurate as a result.

Aug 25, 2017 at 11:51 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.23 #19 · p.23 #19 · UPDATED D850 SPECS

arbitrage wrote:
It seems that if I buy online from TCS it only charges me 5% GST even though I'm in BC. Have others confirmed this is how it works? I thought I'd get charged both GST and PST based on my shipping location. This is new to me as in the Yukon I had only 5% GST so no matter where I ordered from I only paid 5%. Oddly I also entered a BC address at CameraCanada in Ontario and they only were charging 5% GST for my BC address. So I'm confused as to why I wouldn't be paying BC
...Show more

Same here, but I am neither going to question or complain about it. Remaining confused is the better option.

Aug 25, 2017 at 12:14 PM
brian_sp
• • • •
[X]
p.23 #20 · p.23 #20 · UPDATED D850 SPECS

arbitrage wrote:
It seems that if I buy online from TCS it only charges me 5% GST even though I'm in BC. Have others confirmed this is how it works? I thought I'd get charged both GST and PST based on my shipping location. This is new to me as in the Yukon I had only 5% GST so no matter where I ordered from I only paid 5%. Oddly I also entered a BC address at CameraCanada in Ontario and they only were charging 5% GST for my BC address. So I'm confused as to why I wouldn't be paying BC
...Show more

not here in ont
13% added @ TCS

Aug 25, 2017 at 04:57 PM
       24       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

24       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.