Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Out the Window.... a Yellow Warbler

bs kite
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Out the Window.... a Yellow Warbler

Yellow Warbler (Setophaga petechial)

I share an old reference (1800ís to early 1900ís) in the hopes for change. On page 176 the Yellow Warbler's temperament is discussed, along with its high value as a protector of fruit trees.

https://www.ebay.com/p/Life-Histories-of-North-American-Wood-Warblers-Vol-1-by-Arthur-C-Bent-1963-Paperback/1379399

Back in those times folks actually noticed the great benefit that warblers were to their fruit trees. And they depended on them. Today, when fruit trees are sprayed with insecticides, there is less food for the warblers, making it more difficult for their survival as a group. As our insect-dependent birds continue to decline worldwide, I remain hopeful we will continue pushing back on pesticide conglomerates.

I was set up in the mid-window opening and expecting the usual group of birds. A yellow bird flittered right to left and settled behind a group of Gray Birch leaves.

For an instant, I supposed it was one of the many yellow American Goldfinches. But it passed by what the ever-present finches always stop for: sunflower and nyjer seed.

I could not have prepared what this bird needed right now. Only Mother Nature feeds this one.

It was looking for insects. Warblers feed almost exclusively on insects and usually on those species we canít see or we overlook. Warblers eyes must be extremely close-focusing as they search for small insects at close range.

Just as in their migrations, they move through trees and brush quite quickly. They cannot afford to stick around long because relative to the seed-eaters, warblers get much less energy for equal foraging effort. A feeder-dependent bird needs only to go directly to the source and eat its fill, visiting the feeder throughout the day whenever it pleases.

The warbler puts in much more work to survive.

Its insect prey almost always appears individually, hidden in nooks/crannies and under leafs, uncommonly found grouped or clustered together, unless in the form of caterpillars.

The sound of the camera caused this little bird to expose itself before having to move on to another bush/tree. The man in the old reference speaks of the enjoyment of seeing this bird comfortable around humans, as it scoured his fruit trees for insects. It was much like we enjoy Chickadees today. Could it be that we do not enjoy the company of this bird as much today because there is much less insect biomass, due to pesticides. I am sure. Wish I was able to capture an image of this bird peaking under a leaf, because it would illustrate how warblers are constantly scouring trees/brush for insects.

Thanks for having a look and your comments are welcome.

Robert

Edited on Aug 12, 2017 at 11:39 AM · View previous versions

Aug 10, 2017 at 08:59 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Out the Window.... a Yellow Warbler

These are all extra nice Robert ~ Ron

Aug 11, 2017 at 03:03 AM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Out the Window.... a Yellow Warbler

Beautiful shots Robert.

Birdie

Aug 12, 2017 at 12:52 AM
bs kite
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Out the Window.... a Yellow Warbler

HI Ron and Birdie.

Thank you.

Aug 12, 2017 at 01:23 AM
Ted ellis
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Out the Window.... a Yellow Warbler

Great job, a beauty Robert.

Aug 12, 2017 at 12:43 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

JimLittle
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Out the Window.... a Yellow Warbler

A real treat to view!

Aug 12, 2017 at 03:09 PM
dclark
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Out the Window.... a Yellow Warbler

Excellent photos and an interesting commentary. Thanks for writing about the bird.

Dave

Aug 12, 2017 at 03:10 PM
reko
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Out the Window.... a Yellow Warbler

Great shots Robert! You might have wanted to get him peeking from under a leaf but it's been unusual for me to get one in the clear.

Aug 12, 2017 at 05:30 PM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Out the Window.... a Yellow Warbler

very nice images Robert

Aug 13, 2017 at 08:53 AM
bs kite
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Out the Window.... a Yellow Warbler

Thanks folks. Appreciate the nice comments.

Aug 16, 2017 at 01:08 AM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password