FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Finally pulled the trigger

drewmey
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Finally pulled the trigger

memoria wrote:
This surely is not what I was hoping for. I've always thought that AF accurracy was one of the main benefits when using mirrorless on-sensor AF. No need for micro-adjustments, back/front focus gone and so on.

This seems to be the exact opposite? I guess the only solution is to keep a FF Canon and some flashes for those low-light scenarios.

Ability to focus in extremely low light and need for micro adjustment are two completely separate things. You will not need to micro adjust any mirrorless camera as it is pulling focus directly from the sensor/image itself instead of a separate autofocus sensor. Mirrorless bodies, therefore, will be more accurate than a DSLR (assuming they are both designed correctly). However, accuracy has nothing to do with the limits of a systems ability to function. When the X-T2 does acquire focus, I have full confidence that it is accurate.

FYI: I find the X-T2 focus abilities in low light to be fairly similar to my old Canon 6D which had a pretty good low light autofocus with the cross type center point. Only now, I can use dozens of more point options instead of only the center.

Edited on Sep 14, 2017 at 11:59 AM · View previous versions

Sep 14, 2017 at 11:56 AM
cputeq
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Finally pulled the trigger

memoria wrote:
This surely is not what I was hoping for. I've always thought that AF accurracy was one of the main benefits when using mirrorless on-sensor AF. No need for micro-adjustments, back/front focus gone and so on.

This seems to be the exact opposite? I guess the only solution is to keep a FF Canon and some flashes for those low-light scenarios.

AF accuracy IS generally better, but when the light gets low, many mirrorless struggle vs their top-end DSLR rivals and Fuji has a knack of just quitting the AF!.

Then again, DSLR companies (Nikon, Canon) have a couple of decades' more experience in honing their AF routines. Not that mirrorless is TERRIBLE (and some are definitely better than others) but they're not the best....yet...maybe saving for the A9, unsure how it does in low light.

But we're talking fast DSLRs. My old Nikon D90, D7000 or Pentax K-20D were all much slower in slower light than my X-T2 is.Heck with the K-20D, I think my XT2 is faster in low light than it was in GOOD light!

Sep 14, 2017 at 11:57 AM
Alanu
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Finally pulled the trigger

memoria wrote:
Good tip about the batterygrip. I'll check with the store.

I've only booked an X-T2 and the 35/1.4. Will keep it as a third camera and "test" it between the official shooting (using my 5D4 and 6D2) and for a while afterwards...

The 35 f1.4 isn't a stellar performer in low light. I'd suggest stealth shots with 56mm or document moments with a 16mm.

Think of your style and photography and let's look at your options.

Sep 14, 2017 at 02:27 PM
memoria
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Finally pulled the trigger

I've just picked it up from the store. Trying it out casually and so far I'm impressed with the AF even in low light. It feels more consistent and accurate even compared to my mighty 5D4 (in mirror mode, not DP AF).

But my hand is already begging for a rest. Please oh please tell me it gets much better with an extra grip? I can't see myself handling this for 10-12 hours. I have to squeeze the camera when I change focus points.

Other than that...yes, impressive so far.

Funny story...took a weird-looking self-portrait of myself through the mirror in the bathroom and then forgot that the EVF was on display. So when I went for another test-shot (the cat this time) and looked into the viewfinder and saw myself, I totally freaked out...

Sep 14, 2017 at 04:13 PM
njfantastico
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Finally pulled the trigger

I too was in this same spot a few months ago, I was eager to try the XT2 as a possible replacement to a Canon lineup. Another tog had suggested it and she had made the change, she shoots available and uses primes.

I got the XT2 and every zoom lens Fuji makes. I took it to two weddings. For available light stuff: getting ready, gromsmen and groom together, bride & Bridesmaids, outdoor wedding, etc etc, it was pretty great. I went online and studied how to set the camera to avoid lag and get the best in camera setup. That helped. Pretty fast camera, slightly different way of setting the camera from Canon, takes great images esp when using film modes.

FLASH - Basically sucks. Would be interested in trying out the new godox, still very disappointed that Fuji seems to have overlooked this detail. I have had numerous conversations with the eastern seaboards Reps. To the point where i have hung out with many of them to talk shop.

Low Light - I wish i had rented FAST glass before selling the XT2. I did not like the hunting that the XT2 was giving me in receptions. I grab a Canon and have no issues. I picked up an XPro2 and i am trying it with fast glass. Just to compare. I will see how that does. I am looking forward to the production XT3, Fuji has some neat things coming out.

For me, i rely on flash for receptions. I have gotten very use to speedlights and i enjoy using them. I don't want to use a hockey puck in between flashes to make them work. I just want simple.

For right now, i'll rely on Canon to be that universal tool. When the 3 comes out, i see myself making the switch.

Sep 14, 2017 at 04:43 PM
       end

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password