Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

What Tripod & Head For Sony A7r ii?

sabeast

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What Tripod & Head For Sony A7r ii?

HERE ARE MY GOALS....

Just Got Myself A Sony A7Rii & Sony 24-70 GM 2.8 Lens. I mostly want a tripod to do street fashion photography of myself. All im really looking for is the best quality tripod to use to take shots of myself, products. Like i said im a fashion designer, so the images will be some studio, mostly street style fashion photography. I would have my girlfriend on the other end of the camera just to be sure the tripod doesn't fall or no-one runs off with my camera lol....Here are some photography ideas of what im after http://www.thestyleograph.com/.

Edited on Aug 13, 2017 at 03:03 PM · View previous versions

Aug 10, 2017 at 04:10 PM
philber
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What Tripod & Head For Sony A7r ii?

I would go with Gitzo tripods. Such as the Moutaineer series. If you don't need height and want to keep it light, go 0532/0542. One size up and it is 1532/1542. I use a 0542 with A7RII and heavy lenses (Zeiss Otus 55, Otus 28), and I am happy with it. I recommend complementing it with a Arca Swiss P0 head.
I always keep a healthy margin between the actual weight of my gear (2kg) and the weight spec of my tripod and head (no less than at least 2x, the actual weight, but better if it is 3x).

Aug 10, 2017 at 05:27 PM
sabeast

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What Tripod & Head For Sony A7r ii?

Edited on Aug 13, 2017 at 02:32 PM · View previous versions

Aug 10, 2017 at 06:13 PM
mbphoto_2.8
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What Tripod & Head For Sony A7r ii?

What does the tripod have to do with the video you want to shoot?

I just watched those videos and realised that there's much more in play than just a tripod.
Those were likely shot with a steadycam-like gimbal stabiliser thingy. Somebody needs to work the camera to do those "lift and get closer" things. Just a camera pointing straight ahead will make for some boring videos.

If you need a steady camera that doesn't move, a solid tripod is what you want.
Get a FEISOL, they are just as sturdy as Gitzo but cost 1/3.

For the head, I have been researching long and hard and found the Tiltall BH-07 ballhead to be amazing.
Easily carries my 3 kg (6+ pounds) DSLR with tele zoom even at an angle.
In a massiv ballhead comparison, the Tiltall won hands down against some of the most expensive ballheads out there, holding the likes of 4kg gear at a 90 angle!

Also, it costs just a bit over 100 bucks and is very light.

Aug 10, 2017 at 07:00 PM
sabeast

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What Tripod & Head For Sony A7r ii?

SO i made my mind up of the tripod, gitzo. Now i just need to get a head. Im just gonna buy a gimbal for video so the head will be for photography only.

Aug 11, 2017 at 01:53 PM
sabeast

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What Tripod & Head For Sony A7r ii?

philber wrote:
I would go with Gitzo tripods. Such as the Moutaineer series. If you don't need height and want to keep it light, go 0532/0542. One size up and it is 1532/1542. I use a 0542 with A7RII and heavy lenses (Zeiss Otus 55, Otus 28), and I am happy with it. I recommend complementing it with a Arca Swiss P0 head.
I always keep a healthy margin between the actual weight of my gear (2kg) and the weight spec of my tripod and head (no less than at least 2x, the actual weight, but better if it is 3x).

which one? i see like 8 on https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?view=GRID&sts=ma&InitialSearch=yes&setView=GRID&N=0&Ntt=Arca-Swiss%20p0

Aug 13, 2017 at 02:31 PM
Trek_of_Joy
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · What Tripod & Head For Sony A7r ii?

Photo and video heads really serve two different purposes, I think going with a gimbal would be your best bet if you're going to be moving while shooting video. After trying a number of different models, I've settled on the Zhiyun Crane V2. Note, gimbals have a bit of a learning curve, you can't just pop the camera on and get smooth movements. You may have to tune the software to your particular camera/lens combo which can be a major pain in the rear.

Also, unless you get a larger gimbal, the GM lens will be too big to properly balance a one handed gimbal. I'd go with something like the 28/2 for small gimbal work. Otherwise you're looking at a larger two-handed setup.

Cheers

Chris

Aug 13, 2017 at 03:00 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

sabeast

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · What Tripod & Head For Sony A7r ii?

yeah thats why i edited my thread and removed the videos. I decided to get the gimbal you mentioned. Im more worried about what head to use on the tripod.

Aug 13, 2017 at 03:02 PM
philber
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · What Tripod & Head For Sony A7r ii?

sabeast wrote:
which one? i see like 8 on https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?view=GRID&sts=ma&InitialSearch=yes&setView=GRID&N=0&Ntt=Arca-Swiss%20p0

They are all the same, the only difference being the various quick release mechanisms, depending on user preferences.

Aug 14, 2017 at 10:48 AM
conrad2nr
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · What Tripod & Head For Sony A7r ii?

Check out the Sirui, specifically the K-40X ball head.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/822265-REG/Sirui_BSRK40_K_40x_Ball_Head.html

I have one on my Gitzo 3532 and it's solid.

Aug 14, 2017 at 01:15 PM
sabeast

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · What Tripod & Head For Sony A7r ii?

ok

Aug 22, 2017 at 01:36 PM
sabeast

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · What Tripod & Head For Sony A7r ii?

philber wrote:

I called Gitzo and was told the 0 series 0532/0542 wouldn't be a good tripod to use for a Sony A7r II with a 24-70 lens.

Aug 29, 2017 at 07:58 PM
philber
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · What Tripod & Head For Sony A7r ii?

I am surprised they would say that, because the 0542 is rated by them for 17,6lbs, roughly 4x the weight of a A7RII + 24-70. I use it with a lens which is more than 50% heavier than your zoom, and it is fine. Maybe Gitzo just thought they could get you to spend more on a larger tripod... Let's just say then, buy another brand if they don't want your money...

Aug 29, 2017 at 08:05 PM
sabeast

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · What Tripod & Head For Sony A7r ii?

Hey check your PM

Aug 29, 2017 at 08:08 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password