Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Am I trying the impossible?

DABNIK
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Am I trying the impossible?

I have a SB 600 & and SB 400. Trying to use 600 on the Left & the 400 on the Right of lightbox.
I can set up the 600 to fire using wireless & D700 as Master.
The 400 cannot be used wireless & I have a SN 17 cable to attach to it
BUT
you can't have the flash up on the D700 with the SN 17 cable attached & therefore, the D700 flash not available to set the SB 600 off in wireless mode.

Am I missing something?? (besides another Nikon flash that can be used wireless )

TIA
Doug

Aug 10, 2017 at 09:42 AM
story_teller
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Am I trying the impossible?

It may be possible if you can use the SB-400 connected to an optical slave trigger. That way the D700 can fire the SB-600 and the SB-400 might be able to optically trigger off the Sb-600's flash. You would have to buy an optical trigger and I can't guarantee it will work with the SB-400 since I haven't tried it. It will probably cost around $30 for an optical trigger with a hot shoe.

Aug 10, 2017 at 01:27 PM
lifthard2001
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Am I trying the impossible?

That might work the only thing is the pre flash might set off the 400. Not sure but worth a try. Good suggestion

story_teller wrote:
It may be possible if you can use the SB-400 connected to an optical slave trigger. That way the D700 can fire the SB-600 and the SB-400 might be able to optically trigger off the Sb-600's flash. You would have to buy an optical trigger and I can't guarantee it will work with the SB-400 since I haven't tried it. It will probably cost around $30 for an optical trigger with a hot shoe.

Aug 10, 2017 at 05:26 PM
Paul_K
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Am I trying the impossible?

Not clear what you mean with a 'lightbox' (softbox, square shaped light modifier?)

Is the SB 600 inside the 'lightbox' or is there a (studio?) flash inside it, while you have the SB600 (and SB400) left and right of it (maybe to create a 'harsher' light effect or something similar) ?

When you use CLS, it's (at least in my experience, also tried it) not possible to use a separate flash cable (SN 17 = Nikon SC 17?) cable to simultaneously another flash
An optical trigger for the SB400 would indeed be the solution

But you'll have to switch off the SB600 pre flash ( as used with TTL metering) which obviously will mean you'll have to use it in Manual (flash) mode, even if using CLS

If on the other hand you're indeed using a studio flash inside the 'lightbox' that would not be a problem anyway
In that case the SB 600 preflash (when used in TTL mode) would risk triggering the studioflash prematurely (if that - what seems likely - uses an optical trigger), as well as the SB400 (if that were to be used with an optical trigger as well ), depleting them (without enough time to recharge for the 'real' picture)
And therefor using the SB600 in Manual (flash) mode would be left as the only option anyway

On a side note, the SB400 allows TTL metering with most/all (?) Nikon DSLR's, and when using the Flash settings in the Personal Settings Menu can even be using in full and reduced power Manual mode
It's not CLS compatible though, and consequently its settings can't be adjusted using CLS

That said, I found that when used with my PW TT5's it did became CLS compatible, allowing use in various remotely steered/changed power settings, in both TTL and Manual Flash Mode
Thus making it, even on a TT5, a very modestly sized remote flash ideal for tucking it in a corner to add just that little fill to clear up a shadowy nook or corner

Aug 11, 2017 at 05:08 AM
story_teller
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Am I trying the impossible?

lifthard2001 wrote:
That might work the only thing is the pre flash might set off the 400. Not sure but worth a try. Good suggestion

If he is using TTL, then yes, it would be a problem. I was assuming manual flash.

Aug 11, 2017 at 06:08 AM
DABNIK
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Am I trying the impossible?

Thank you all for the great info - much appreciated!
Doug

Aug 14, 2017 at 09:40 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.