FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

The F-stop comedic show keeps going on

sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · The F-stop comedic show keeps going on

Their customers seem to fit in one of two buckets - really pissed off (yours truly) and really happy. I never trust companies with bimodal customer feedback.

you know the rather recent adage "trust but verify" and then have a Plan B.

I am rarely "really happy" about things. and customer feedback on the web over all is in many cases "tainted" by unrealistic expectations and other factors. I will say in this case I will not deny some "reality" here.

yet another reason I rarely do the crowd funding thing except under special circumstances

Aug 17, 2017 at 02:10 PM
kosin
• • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · The F-stop comedic show keeps going on

I waited for about 6 months for a backpack from them and once it arrived, it was in used condition but sold as new! How do I know? There was some slight wear on it and I also found some accessories that belonged to the previous owner: grey card and some notes. What a flop on their part!
Nevertheless, when compared to the GuraGear bag, F-stop backpack was uncomfortable to wear and I've returned it right away. They refunded my money but never apologized that they sold me an used backpack...

Aug 18, 2017 at 09:31 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · The F-stop comedic show keeps going on

I had the original Gura Gear Kiboko pack. I found that harness so wanting. couldn't carry a load w/o it buckling on itself. the bag was bigger then the harness could carry. I had a fairly terse conversation with them and low and behold they redesigned 6 months later. and then the great merger of 2015 Tamrac/GG. I guess you travel relatively light with yours.

how you load your pack is the most important thing too

their packs are not designed for heavy loads on back over long distances either. they are great traveling and relative short hauls. minimal adaptability though. i'll stick with what I have as possibly you will too.

Aug 18, 2017 at 10:38 PM
hfphoto

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · The F-stop comedic show keeps going on

I've been looking for a backpack style bag for some time. I almost pulled the trigger on f-stop tilopa but the more I look at the belt and shoulder pads, they seem flimsy. The price is also a bit daunting. When I decided not to pull the trigger I started looking at the Lowepro Whistler line but like all my other Lowepro bags, they seem bulky and not an efficient use of space. If someone can speak to the suspension system of the f-stop being adequate, I might reconsider. One of the driving factors for looking for a new bag is that I have a RRS TC34L tripod that I want to fit on the back. I'm not a big fan of carrying one on the side. I'd appreciate any suggestions others can offer.

Aug 25, 2017 at 08:29 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · The F-stop comedic show keeps going on

if the driving factor is the carrying of the TVC34L you are looking at creating a situation that is going to difficult with any pack. the depth of the whole setup alone will be problematic in addition to the possible weight balance issue. it will be a less than optimal setup. you can do it but I doubt you are going to like it no matter what pack you use if that pack is full of other hardware. the pack harness itself is not going to resolve that issue.

putting on 40lbs of concentrated possibly off balance weight is not likely the most comfortable thing you will do on any day.

your tripod:
24.4" collapsed
4.7lbs w/o head

tilopa pack depth when full (full is potentially heavy):
12"

that is roughly a 12" deep arm with a 5+lb (tripod with head) weight
it will increase depth and move the c/g back further(might be a good thing). strapping it high and across might be better though beware of low hanging branches.

I do own a TVC33, TVC24 and TQC/TFC14

oh, I forgot, the should straps and hip pads are under rated. they work reasonably well.

we can take this to varying options

Aug 25, 2017 at 09:34 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

bgorum
• •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · The F-stop comedic show keeps going on

hfphoto wrote:
I've been looking for a backpack style bag for some time. I almost pulled the trigger on f-stop tilopa but the more I look at the belt and shoulder pads, they seem flimsy. The price is also a bit daunting. When I decided not to pull the trigger I started looking at the Lowepro Whistler line but like all my other Lowepro bags, they seem bulky and not an efficient use of space. If someone can speak to the suspension system of the f-stop being adequate, I might reconsider. One of the driving factors for looking for a new bag
...Show more

I've had some opportunities to get out and hike with my new f-stop Suhka and so far I think the suspension feels fine. Its been comfortable to carry for a few hours, though I haven't yet had a chance to try wearing for an all day hike. Its actually a bit better padded than my old Loka was, but I owned that Loka for a long time and honestly, its suspension my have been pretty worn compared to what it was like when new. I just don't remember!

I carry a Gitzo GT3542ls with a kirk BH-1 head strapped to one side. I keep my Nikon D500 and 200-500 on the opposite side of the pack, (inside of course), to help balance out the weight. I find it works pretty well. The reason I don't carry the tripod on the back is that it interferes with the "workstation mode", as f-stop calls it, of the pack. You can't lay the bag down flat on its back if you have a tripod there. With the tripod on the side I can lay the bag down on its back, open it up and take out equipment, and quickly unclip the tripod from the side if I need it.

Aug 27, 2017 at 03:05 PM
hfphoto

p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · The F-stop comedic show keeps going on

Thanks to you and sjms for replying to my post. I currently have a lowepro flipside that I went hiking with this weekend and had my tripod strapped to the side. It actually was not that bad carrying it that way but far from ideal. Based on that, should I move forward with a F-stop or Lowepro I will probably put the tripod on the side. As you point out, it is possible to distribute weight inside the pack to compensate for the imbalance caused by the tripod. With the fall coming up, I need a pack that will accommodate photo gear and extra clothing, etc. I would be less hesitant to make the F-stop purchase if I were buying from some third party that has a good return policy, like B&H or Adorama. That said, I may just need to take the chance, the F-stop seems less bulky to me than the Lowepro Whistler series, which is the other bag I'm considering.

Aug 28, 2017 at 05:22 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · The F-stop comedic show keeps going on

it is unfortunate that the whistler lacks the true modularity it shoulda, woulda, coulda had. it might have been somewhat of a contender. its igloo cooler like rigidity also doesn't help much either when traveling.

Aug 28, 2017 at 11:50 AM
Todd Warnke
• • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · The F-stop comedic show keeps going on

My problem with the Whistler is the weight. The mid-size 350 weighs 6.5 pounds empty! The 450 (roughly the same size as the Anja) weighs 7.25 pounds ... literality twice the weight of the Anja.

Aug 28, 2017 at 04:02 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · The F-stop comedic show keeps going on

Actually no, Ajna weight empty is without the ICU to begin with. There is approx 1lb difference the lighter one being with the lrg icu and the Ajna. in addition there is access from above the 2 more usable side packets along with the back and lid ones.

Aug 28, 2017 at 04:05 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password