New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

The F-stop comedic show keeps going on

GroovyGeek
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · The F-stop comedic show keeps going on

So today, nearly 1 year after placing an order for a Tilopa (and canceling it 5 months later, 3 months past the promised delivery date, with zero communication) F-stop had the temerity to call me and tell me that, lo and behold, they have the Tilopa in stock and if I am a really, really, really good boy they will bless me with permission to buy one. I almost burst out laughing. On the positive side, it is an effort to serve the customer, so I guess this is an improvement from a near zero baseline. On the even more positive side, I am hoping that this is a sign that enough people have, like me, been pissed off sufficiently and have found viable alternatives (Mamut Trion, Gregory Targhee) to make them struggle, throw out the clowns who currently run the company, and start behaving like a normal commercial outfit.

Edited on Aug 11, 2017 at 07:49 AM · View previous versions

Aug 10, 2017 at 05:59 AM
bgorum
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · The F-stop comedic show keeps going on

I just ordered a Suhka and a small pro ICU on Friday morning. I chatted with someone at f-stop via the live chat link on their website to make sure it was in stock before I ordered. Got an email yesterday saying its been shipped. I'll update when the bag arrives.

Aug 10, 2017 at 12:29 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · The F-stop comedic show keeps going on

I've only ordered two bags from F-Stop and both were in my hands in about a week (Bandon and Shibuya?). Both are good bags but nuttin' to fuss about. I heart my old Crumpler 5MDH and 6MDH more.

Aug 10, 2017 at 06:10 PM
WestTexas Sky
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · The F-stop comedic show keeps going on

I own a Tilopa BC. It's a good pack but their logistics have been a mess for years. Your story of things not being in stock are fairly typical in photo forums.

When I ordered my pack back in 2010 it was pretty much the same. They did not have the ICU I wanted so sent me a different one. The package got messed up. They miss shipments.

If they could get the logistics chain down they could be great.

So order with caution and only on things that are for certain in stock.

Aug 10, 2017 at 08:03 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · The F-stop comedic show keeps going on

Yo, F-Stop, you ship, I receive, I send you $, oh, say a year later.

Aug 11, 2017 at 12:19 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · The F-stop comedic show keeps going on

So they are a scam of some sort? The website has no street address, which is usually bad news.

EBH

Aug 11, 2017 at 02:23 AM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · The F-stop comedic show keeps going on

^ No they are not a scam. They're a purveyor of well designed high quality camera equipment bags for travel, hiking, etc. with very poor business practices.

This is how I get my f-stop stuff, I plan ahead and:

WestTexas Sky wrote:

... order with caution and only on things that are for certain in stock.

Aug 11, 2017 at 02:43 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · The F-stop comedic show keeps going on

EB-1 wrote:
So they are a scam of some sort? The website has no street address, which is usually bad news.

EBH

scam/no stupid/yes. why do you blurt out this sort of stuff? I have multiple products from them

one could ask any of us the same question. some more than others too.

Aug 11, 2017 at 02:53 AM
GroovyGeek
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · The F-stop comedic show keeps going on

sjms wrote:
scam/no stupid/yes. why do you blurt out this sort of stuff? I have multiple products from them

one could ask any of us the same question. some more than others too.

You could argue that, in some sense, they are a scam. If they charge you at time of purchase, earn interest on your money for 6-12 months, do not deliver on promised timelines they are behaving in a manner similar to one of those infamous Brooklyn camera shops. The primary difference is that F-stop will at least give you a refund when you ask for it... 30 days after request it, We are not arguing the quality of their merchandise, but the business practices which are definitely on the shady side.

Aug 11, 2017 at 07:58 AM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · The F-stop comedic show keeps going on

C'mon, SJMS, Scam, No. Incompetent business practice, Yes. They still located in Hong Kong, or have they moved someplace else where they are even more out of reach of legal action for, hmmm, breach of contract? Theft by deception? Doggone shame, too. I've seen one iteration of their gear, Loka IIRC, and it was superbly constructed... put me in mind of the former Dana Designs backpacking gear, and certainly equivalent to my Mystery Ranch BOB. I'm dead serious: they ought to restore customer confidence by offering to ship first, and customer pays later, 30 days would seem fair to me. They did that, I'd buy one.

Aug 11, 2017 at 10:28 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · The F-stop comedic show keeps going on

- you as the buyer choose to do business with them
- you as the buyer choose/chose to let them have your "money" (from your credit card) for that extended period
- you as the buyer essentially allow them to do business in the way they do by choosing to purchase from them.
- simply don't do it. and if you have contact them for a refund and if that doesn't happen within a prescribed time contact your CC company and they will resolve it for you. I know I have.

this is a business transaction done out in the open. unless they go bankrupt you will get it returned fairly quickly. as long as you do your due diligence you still have control as long as you use self control.

please, mr semone, don't "c'mon" me. in what you do you should know better. this is one big fruit basket and you I along with the rest make it up. there is always an alternative as long as you are willing to accept it.

Aug 11, 2017 at 12:39 PM
Todd Warnke
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · The F-stop comedic show keeps going on

Not a scam at all. Solid gear ... best "camera" packs, period. If the gear sucked and they took forever to ship, then I'd say scam for sure. No, the gear is wonderful, it all comes down to business practices. And there, they suck. But if it's in stock, they ship quickly.

I have three of their packs, had a fourth as well. Made sure what I wanted was in stock, and the transactions went well. I recommend them, again with the caution that it needs to be in stock before ordering. And this is from the guy who started the whole, "stick a ICU in a Gregory Targhee" thing.

Todd

Aug 11, 2017 at 03:28 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · The F-stop comedic show keeps going on

yep, just ordered another ICU after using it for more then 6 years in a Loka, Satori EXP and the past few in my Ajna. pretty much beat down. ordered this morning and have a UPS tracking info. Its now in the hands of UPS for Wednesday delivery from St Louis. well it was in stock

Aug 11, 2017 at 06:46 PM
Ming-Tzu
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · The F-stop comedic show keeps going on

Ordered a Large and XL ICU from them in March 2017. Received within a week. Needed to return both because it was too large for my backpack. Refunded a few weeks after that. Quick and responsive communication from them throughout the process with regards to my questions around shipping and refunds.

Nothing but a positive experience on my end.

The word "scam" should not be thrown around lightly. They seem to be a legitimate business to me. Do they have problems? Not in my personal experience, but one should read all feedback on the forums, negative and positive. In light of the inconsistencies around their CS experience, it's quite possible the issue is with their employees, either lack of training or not enough of them where things fall through the cracks.

Aug 12, 2017 at 02:40 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · The F-stop comedic show keeps going on

I'll buy from those yokels when they can replicate this recent experience I had with BH:

for my new D500 from Roberts (fantastic price, and the only ones who had one in stock), I ordered from BH an XQD card. What?$60 item? It qualified for free next day shipping. I'm in the next day zone so, when the shipping notice from BH came it indeed said it was scheduled next day via UPS for end of day - just like all the other items I've ordered from them. So, BH site says "shipped." UPS confirms that shipping notice was received by USP. Next AM I checked email, BH confirmed shipping and confirmed ETA. USP still reported "shipping notice received" (or whatever the language is they use for that). However, item did not show end of day, despite those announcements. I called UPS, but, nobody home. I waited a day, still no delivery.

So, I emailed BH customer service, got a return reply next AM (CS was closed at the time I called). Tony P was the agent. Great guy and right smack on top of it. End of story, BH shipped out UPSAir for first AM delivery the XQD. It arrived in a box that would have withstood any manner of insult. My CC had been charged for the first order. That was cancelled and $ was promptly restored to my CC account, and then of course, the new charge was appropriately placed. I got a follow-up email from Tony P. asking if I had delivery. Bingo. Now, THAT's customer service!!! and all for a $60 item. I have had similar experiences with both Adorama and KEH.

So, when F-Stop pony's up and gets off their incompetent, or undertrained, or inconsistent, or whatever back side they've been sitting on, that'll be good. And if that's changed recently, Fantastic. Their products appear to be worth it in terms of construction. Apparently SJMS and some others have been having better luck these days. Good for them.

Aug 12, 2017 at 03:57 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · The F-stop comedic show keeps going on

SJMS, if you took my manner of addressing you as disrespectful, I apologize. That said, you don't have a clue about what I do or how I do it, so kindly refrain from your admonitions as to what I should or should not know how to do "better." Thank you.

Meanwhile, enjoy your F-Stop gear and I hope for F-Stop's sake that their CS has turned the corner, as it were. I'm sure that will be welcomed by all.

Aug 12, 2017 at 04:07 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · The F-stop comedic show keeps going on

Ming-Tzu wrote:
Ordered a Large and XL ICU from them in March 2017. Received within a week. Needed to return both because it was too large for my backpack. Refunded a few weeks after that. Quick and responsive communication from them throughout the process with regards to my questions around shipping and refunds.

Nothing but a positive experience on my end.

The word "scam" should not be thrown around lightly. They seem to be a legitimate business to me. Do they have problems? Not in my personal experience, but one should read all feedback on the forums, negative and positive. In light of the
...Show more

I was asking if it is a scam because there are telltale signs such as the number of consumer complaints and lack of clear information on the website. Maybe I missed the place where the physical address of the company is stated, but all I found was a PO box.
I understand the direct Chinese deal. That does not fit my lifestyle, but YMMV.

EBH

Aug 12, 2017 at 04:23 PM
Bacalhau
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · The F-stop comedic show keeps going on

one word of advice (ofcourse, it's free) to anyone willing to buy F-Stop bags:
- it's a one-size-fits-all design, but each model has his own size; meaning your torso size may not fit properly with a given bag (should be the other way around btw)

so, get ready to suffer from lower back or shoulder pains unless you can alter your torso size. It's not about how it fit; as long as looks good and seems well constructed you are good to go

Borderline rip-off I would call them. I like innovation, new designs and go "against the grain", but F-Stop is seriously lacking in both business practices and design. just my opinion, please ignore it as you feel fit

Aug 12, 2017 at 04:54 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · The F-stop comedic show keeps going on

can't call them a rip off either. all the information about the packs as they are built is there. what you see is what you get. you just don't choose to accept what they offer. for me its not a real issue. but then I am 60 and been carrying various types of packs throughout my life.

by the way,
i'm still waiting for your cutting edge work

Edited on Aug 12, 2017 at 07:26 PM · View previous versions

Aug 12, 2017 at 06:50 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · The F-stop comedic show keeps going on

anthonysemone wrote:
SJMS, if you took my manner of addressing you as disrespectful, I apologize. That said, you don't have a clue about what I do or how I do it, so kindly refrain from your admonitions as to what I should or should not know how to do "better." Thank you.

Meanwhile, enjoy your F-Stop gear and I hope for F-Stop's sake that their CS has turned the corner, as it were. I'm sure that will be welcomed by all.

small initials please "sjms".

your statement/opinion on "knowledge" is noted.

Edited on Aug 12, 2017 at 09:53 PM · View previous versions

Aug 12, 2017 at 06:58 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password