Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2017 · What to expect for a sensor clean from Nikon in LA?

Desmolicious
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What to expect for a sensor clean from Nikon in LA?

I just got my D750 back from the shutter recall, even though I didn't see any issues with mine. Took just over a week, sending it to Nikon in Los Angeles (Wilshire). Excellent communication, excellent tracking. No issue. So much better than Leica service where your camera disappears down a rabbit hole for 4 months, no-one knows anything, then it suddenly reappears. But I digress..
Here's da ting. On the service summary it says they replaced the shutter, checked AF etc etc. Cool. It also said they cleaned the sensor. Initially I thought 'cool, a factory clean, now I don't need to deal w/ that since the professionals have done it'.
But.. it is now way dirtier than before, with lots of dust specs on my images. So, what to do? Go down to Nikon (I am in the same town) with my service receipt and ask them to clean it properly? Take it someplace else? Or do it myself?

For point of reference I mainly shoot film, where I get a clean new sensor for each shot. I kinda don't want to bogart my digital sensor and the most I have done is attempt the camera self clean (did not work) and then a rocket blower (did not work).

Aug 10, 2017 at 12:40 AM
Photozack81
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What to expect for a sensor clean from Nikon in LA?

If you're local I'd go down there and give em a second whack at it, especially since it shows on your receipt that it was done.

Aug 10, 2017 at 12:43 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What to expect for a sensor clean from Nikon in LA?

You could take it back since they did say they cleaned it. But in all reality, you need to learn how to clean your own sensors. Its just a fact of life, they become dirty. Most of us I would say clean our own sensors, it's not that hard. It might feel intimidating, but it's not hard.

Jim

Aug 10, 2017 at 12:21 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What to expect for a sensor clean from Nikon in LA?

If you don't have to ship it, let Nikon do it again.

If you do have to ship it (and risk damage or loss), clean it yourself or bring it to a trusted shop - takes 30 seconds. Eventually your sensor will need cleaning again, so you might as well learn how to do it.

Aug 10, 2017 at 12:25 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What to expect for a sensor clean from Nikon in LA?

Yeah, I think I'll follow your collective advice and do it myself. Thanks!

Aug 10, 2017 at 12:47 PM
DGC1
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What to expect for a sensor clean from Nikon in LA?

Impact damage...

Aug 10, 2017 at 02:44 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · What to expect for a sensor clean from Nikon in LA?

DGC1 wrote:
Impact damage...

Didn't take long, but I had fun finding these:

https://media.giphy.com/media/TYlus7VAr9c4M/giphy.gif

https://media.giphy.com/media/M1vu1FJnW6gms/giphy.gif

https://media.giphy.com/media/f6sdwKrDqlsYM/giphy.gif

https://media.giphy.com/media/7AqsdBK15kiOc/giphy.gif

https://media.giphy.com/media/b56ERkIe6zDEI/giphy.gif

http://i.imgur.com/zjk7bS4.gifv

Aug 10, 2017 at 03:01 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · What to expect for a sensor clean from Nikon in LA?

the morons in those clips will be replaced by robots - good riddance

Aug 10, 2017 at 03:33 PM
SoundHound
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · What to expect for a sensor clean from Nikon in LA?

Send those videos to Fred Smith (FedEx CEO).

Aug 11, 2017 at 09:12 AM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · What to expect for a sensor clean from Nikon in LA?

I my sensor is pristine today and I take it outdoors tomorrow and change lenses outside with any breeze blowing I have a good chance of dust on the sensor. I would seldom have my camera available to use if I shipped it to Nikon each time the sensor needed cleaning.

Get the Visible Dust V-swabs and a bottle of the Eclipse cleaning solution and for less than a single cleaning by Nikon you will have enough supplies to do at least half a dozen cleanings on your own. A lighted magnifier is helpful to spot small specs of dust on the sensor.

Aug 11, 2017 at 03:37 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · What to expect for a sensor clean from Nikon in LA?

I understand that dust gets on sensors, but since I got this camera back all I did was attach my 60 2.8 micro lens, and scan my film in the comfort of my home.
I spoke to Nikon on the phone and they opened a ticket for me, asking me to send in a couple of images so they could take a look. Jpegs w/ no editing etc. Today they sent me a pre paid mailer so they could take care of it.
Looking at the images I had sent to them - shots of the sky - it was shocking to see how much crap was on it. Almost as bad as my Leica when the sensor corroded! And apparently Nikon agreed w/ this by sending me the mailing slip. It looks like someone was super sloppy when they replaced the shutter, dumping debris etc on the sensor.
I didn't see all this before because I had taken 'scans' of my film, which had only a little sky in some of the images. But it was enough for me to notice that that was not right.

Anyway, back it goes.

Aug 16, 2017 at 03:42 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · What to expect for a sensor clean from Nikon in LA?

And I got it back earlier this week. With a nice note telling me how to keep the sensor dust free. Even though that is how it was when they first got it from me.
Result? Even worse than before. Now I almost feel they are f-ng w/ me or are they really this bad? There are now wormy shaped squiggles which weren't there before, along with the spots that they first created.

Sep 02, 2017 at 02:14 AM
Photozack81
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · What to expect for a sensor clean from Nikon in LA?

Desmolicious wrote:
And I got it back earlier this week. With a nice note telling me how to keep the sensor dust free. Even though that is how it was when they first got it from me.
Result? Even worse than before. Now I almost feel they are f-ng w/ me or are they really this bad? There are now wormy shaped squiggles which weren't there before, along with the spots that they first created.

If I wasn't in the Philippines I'd say send it to me, I'll clean it for you. Costs would be prohibitive both ways unfortunately, lol.

Cleaning your own isn't that hard. A rocket blower should take care of most of it, and there are dozens of good products out there that let you get the stubborn stuff.

At this point, I'd definitely be giving up on them and escalating higher, complaining to corporate etc.

Sep 02, 2017 at 02:21 AM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · What to expect for a sensor clean from Nikon in LA?

Photozack81 wrote:
If I wasn't in the Philippines I'd say send it to me, I'll clean it for you. Costs would be prohibitive both ways unfortunately, lol.

Cleaning your own isn't that hard. A rocket blower should take care of most of it, and there are dozens of good products out there that let you get the stubborn stuff.

At this point, I'd definitely be giving up on them and escalating higher, complaining to corporate etc.

I'm just going to do it myself. I thought I'd let them try to redeem themselves. So much for that.

Sep 02, 2017 at 02:25 AM
bs kite
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · What to expect for a sensor clean from Nikon in LA?

Desmolicious wrote:
I'm just going to do it myself. I thought I'd let them try to redeem themselves. So much for that.

Buy this and keep it in your camera bag.

Just read the instructions.

Honestly, it is a very simple process. A 12 year old could effectively clean a DSLR sensor in about 15 minutes the first time. After that first time it takes only about 2-3 minutes.

Hope this helps you

Sep 02, 2017 at 09:09 AM
Birdbrooks
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · What to expect for a sensor clean from Nikon in LA?

Yes. Along with the question: Are your managers imposing unrealistic delivery quotas on the drivers, causing this behavior?

SoundHound wrote:
Send those videos to Fred Smith (FedEx CEO).

Sep 02, 2017 at 09:51 AM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · What to expect for a sensor clean from Nikon in LA?

Glad you get to mail it in... parking is a major hassle at Wilshire.

Desmolicious wrote:
I understand that dust gets on sensors, but since I got this camera back all I did was attach my 60 2.8 micro lens, and scan my film in the comfort of my home.
I spoke to Nikon on the phone and they opened a ticket for me, asking me to send in a couple of images so they could take a look. Jpegs w/ no editing etc. Today they sent me a pre paid mailer so they could take care of it.
Looking at the images I had sent to them - shots of the sky - it was shocking to
...Show more

Sep 02, 2017 at 01:01 PM
tdlavigne
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · What to expect for a sensor clean from Nikon in LA?

Arka wrote:
Glad you get to mail it in... parking is a major hassle at Wilshire.

Parking across the street isn't so bad. I've had to go in 2x and there was parking available, and it was so quick in and out at Nikon it was fairly cheap (~3-4 dollars iirc).

I'm surprised they're doing so poorly over there. I had a much more pleasant experience with my D600/610 situation. Honestly if I lived over in that area I'd just walk back in and raise hell. Ensure that they do it right, inspect before you even leave.

Sep 02, 2017 at 01:59 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · What to expect for a sensor clean from Nikon in LA?

bs kite wrote:
Buy this and keep it in your camera bag.

Just read the instructions.

Honestly, it is a very simple process. A 12 year old could effectively clean a DSLR sensor in about 15 minutes the first time. After that first time it takes only about 2-3 minutes.

Hope this helps you

i ordered a blue one for the Nikon, and orange one for the Leica. Hopefully no issues using it (I watched the tutorials and it looks super easy), and there even is a video in the Leica factory showing a tech using the orange one to clean cameras coming in for service!
I have been quoted $100 for a pro clean, so this would cover one of those. And I'm not giving it back to Nikon seeing they 1/ initially made the sensor dirty, and b/ did not make it any cleaner on their second attempt.

Sep 14, 2017 at 12:53 PM
bs kite
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · What to expect for a sensor clean from Nikon in LA?

Sep 14, 2017 at 12:56 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.