Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

XT-2 Auto ISO. Is this normal?

J.Andrew

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · XT-2 Auto ISO. Is this normal?

Quick question on XT-2 auto ISO. I am an all manual shooter, but figured I would try auto iso for kicks. First of all, it took me forever to figure out to set the menu to auto and not command. It is now working, but it still drops below my shutter speed minimum I set for ISO 1. I have them set for 200-12,800 and 1/125 minimum. I have the 35mm f2 on and it drops to 1/60-1/70 etc...Any reason why? The only thing blue is my f2 setting in camera, the rest is on auto. Shutter dial is on A and ISO is on A. The only thing I can think of is that it needs to go past my settings of 12,800 to get exposure? Am I correct on that? Please let me know would be awesome. Thanks!

-Jay

Aug 09, 2017 at 10:46 PM
rdeloe
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · XT-2 Auto ISO. Is this normal?

Jay, it's working like it should. Auto ISO will try to stay within the limits you've set for minimum shutter speed. But it will go past them if has to if the threshold you set for max ISO isn't high enough.

I've assigned the auto ISO selector to the right arrow function button. 1 is 200 to 1600, 2 is 200 to 3200 and 3 is 200 to 6400. All three use Auto for shutter speed based on focal length. I use manual lenses mostly, so as long as I'm careful about telling the camera the focal length of the lens it works easily.

The only change that would make this near perfect for me is if I could assign the choice of focal length to a function button. Now I have to do it through the menu, which is a slight but manageable pain!

Aug 09, 2017 at 10:51 PM
J.Andrew

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · XT-2 Auto ISO. Is this normal?

Thanks. I thought that was normal behavior, but was not sure. It would be ideal I guess if it wouldn't let me go lower than my minimum and just yell at me in red or something. Was going to try this indoors, but probably not because I will have to constantly watch the shutter speeds and keep a careful watch. Just out of curiosity, if I put a flash on top, does that change anything?

-Jay

Aug 09, 2017 at 11:03 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

rdeloe
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · XT-2 Auto ISO. Is this normal?

I wouldn't know about flash. I seem to be natural light or nothing. Easiest way to find out is to try I would guess. Good luck.

Aug 10, 2017 at 10:02 PM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · XT-2 Auto ISO. Is this normal?

rdeloe wrote:
Jay, it's working like it should. Auto ISO will try to stay within the limits you've set for minimum shutter speed. But it will go past them if has to if the threshold you set for max ISO isn't high enough.

I've assigned the auto ISO selector to the right arrow function button. 1 is 200 to 1600, 2 is 200 to 3200 and 3 is 200 to 6400. All three use Auto for shutter speed based on focal length. I use manual lenses mostly, so as long as I'm careful about telling the camera the focal length of the lens
...Show more

I shoot some MF Nikkors and your suggestion of assigning a function button would be outstanding! It would also be nice if the CPU would read the aperture and shutter speed. That's the one thing I miss from my D600.

Aug 11, 2017 at 09:46 AM
rdeloe
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · XT-2 Auto ISO. Is this normal?

+1 on reading aperture and shutter speed! My Olympus OM have no chip so not much help for me, but I can see this being really useful for people who should (for example) Zeiss ZF.2 lenses.

As much as it is a pain to assign focal length through the menu I'm very glad I can at least do it. On my old A7r I either had a note that said what the lens was or I was out of luck! If I remember to assign the correct focal length it's a matter of seconds to assign the lens in Lightroom with Lenstagger.

Aug 11, 2017 at 11:53 AM

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password