New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

end

Legacy, lightweight, MF, 135mm comparison results, on A7

trogdon
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Legacy, lightweight, MF, 135mm comparison results, on A7

I owned the Canon nFD 135mm f3.5, it's a pretty decent lens. I found my contax 90mm 2.8 a lot better, enough to just justify owning one and not worrying too much about the major composition differences. These days I have the Sony 135 f1.8, which is a better landscape lens at 1.8 than the Canon was at 5.6, but you pay in weight!

The only other lens I'd recommend testing maybe someday, is the Minolta Maxxum 135mm f2.8. It's one of the only autofocus 135 2.8's out there, 336 grams, and is supposed to be pretty decent optically

Aug 18, 2017 at 07:16 PM
dbehrens
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Legacy, lightweight, MF, 135mm comparison results, on A7

rdeloe wrote:
The one and only FredMiranda!
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1504692

Thanks! I search FM but I searched 50mm - not 50!

Aug 18, 2017 at 11:43 PM
makadaka

Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Legacy, lightweight, MF, 135mm comparison results, on A7

As you found, the Pentax SMC A 135mm f/2.8 is beautiful up close and easy to focus using focus peaking on the Sony. I haven't yet gotten a clean image at distance but haven't given up yet. I love the size and feel on the A7Rii.

Aug 25, 2017 at 05:29 PM
timballic
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Legacy, lightweight, MF, 135mm comparison results, on A7

I don't know if it's just coincidence, but since I posted these results, the last few MDIII 135/3.5's on eBay here (UK), have certainly sold for more than the 30-35, they were when I started looking. The last went for over 50!

Aug 31, 2017 at 03:33 PM
timballic
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Legacy, lightweight, MF, 135mm comparison results, on A7

I can't believe it's taken over a month to get still, sunny conditions to repeat the tests, now I have flocked the PB adapter, and got 4x MD 135/3.5's to find a well centred copy. It's been a shockingly wet, grey summer in the NW of England!

I can now confirm that the "flarey" results with the Praktica PB 135/3.5 were NOT due to internal reflections within the lens, but were reflections within the adapter. With the flocked adapter, no flare. So I can again recommend the Praktica version of this famous lens, though not as highly as the Minolta MD. Stopped down a bit it is very similar to the Pentax M.

I finally found an MDIII to equal the MDII, but they are so similar that I don't think you could choose between them.

Just for interest, the unflocked/flocked PB adapter results are below, so you can see just how essential it is to flock your adapters, or only buy Kindai Rayqual adapters with internal baffles, or Novoflex with very good matte black interior finish, (though neither do a PB-NEX version)

Unflocked adapter (Top right quarter crop of image) (Praktica B 135/3.5 @F/11)
PB 135/[email protected] Unflocked adapter by Timothy Ball, on Flickr

Flocked adapter (Slightly different light as over a month later, at same time)
PB 135/[email protected] Flocked adapter by Timothy Ball, on Flickr

Sep 28, 2017 at 02:42 PM
       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password