New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

LED on camera light source

ctgoldwing
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · LED on camera light source

I have to admit I am totally ignorant about these devices but from what I have been told they have their place(s). So in speaking to a few photographers I know, they all tell me they are great for candid portrait work - something I really enjoy shooting at weddings and other similar events. I am at a loss what to look for. The ones I have found on line don't seem to always include specs I can use to make comparisons to other units with.
I do a fair amount of trade show work so often I need a fairly wide angle lens. What I don't need is light fall off in the corners. I can do my own vignetting.
Can anyone make some recommendations for me?

Aug 09, 2017 at 02:45 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · LED on camera light source

Are you looking for an LED video light for use with stills?

http://blog.planet5d.com/2017/05/the-most-comprehensive-led-test-youve-ever-seen/

Aug 09, 2017 at 04:00 PM
ctgoldwing
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · LED on camera light source

Paul Mo wrote:
Are you looking for an LED video light for use with stills?

http://blog.planet5d.com/2017/05/the-most-comprehensive-led-test-youve-ever-seen/

Yes, but I have no way of judging good from bad from totally inadequate. I do not shoot videos but that (LED video light) is pretty much what my friends are suggesting I use.

Aug 09, 2017 at 07:41 PM
cwebster
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · LED on camera light source

Pretty much confirms the adage that "cheap LED lights are not good and good LED lights are not cheap"

Thanks Paul Mo for posting the link.

Oct 06, 2017 at 12:27 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

mikethevilla
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · LED on camera light source

So in speaking to a few photographers I know, they all tell me they are great for candid portrait work

You should get to know some different photographers. I would avoid ANY type of on camera light source for any type of portrait work.

Oct 06, 2017 at 12:48 AM
JohnBrose
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · LED on camera light source

Off camera flash or continuous light is much better and more pleasing than any on camera light source. I don't think any led continuous light source is going to be very "candid".

Oct 06, 2017 at 01:00 AM
glort
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · LED on camera light source

I have seen these lights discussed here before and really thing the "
photographic" type are over priced and over hyped.

I looked at a few lights that seem popular and not to put too fine a point on it but they were all pissweak. You can buy a whole bunch of led lights with far superiour outputs for a fraction of the price.

No, they may not have features like variable power output but they are all so low powered it's hard to imagine why you wouldn't want them flat out x10 in the first place.
If you did want variable power, you could add that in with a $5 ( if that) electronic board from fleabay.

I recommend if you want to use these lights as actual studio type lights rather than night shot fill ins you look at the outputs VERY carefully. They are pathetically weak and unless you like to use very high ISO or drag the shutter, many of them are not going to provide anywhere near the sort of output you want and need.

Oct 09, 2017 at 03:59 AM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password