Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Kahlyn

Very nice. I like both poses, fun.

Aug 08, 2017 at 11:29 PM
Jonathan Brady
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Kahlyn

Focus is off in both images. If it weren't, these would be great!

Aug 09, 2017 at 04:29 AM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Kahlyn

Wonderful smiles and compositions, Todd. Maybe stop down a bit?

Aug 09, 2017 at 05:57 AM
Todd
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Kahlyn

Jonathan Brady wrote:
Focus is off in both images. If it weren't, these would be great!

I focused on the eye, perhaps I probably should have stopped down a little bit. Thank you for your comments though

Aug 09, 2017 at 07:40 AM
Todd
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Kahlyn

Jim Rickards wrote:
Wonderful smiles and compositions, Todd. Maybe stop down a bit?

Yeah I probably should have stopped down a little bit. I just didn't think about it. Everybody that owns this lens usually shoot's wide open, and I thought I would experiment the same way. f/2 probably would've been great... thank you for your comments

Aug 09, 2017 at 07:42 AM
Todd
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Kahlyn

gschlact wrote:
Very nice. I like both poses, fun.

Thank you...

Aug 09, 2017 at 07:42 AM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Kahlyn

When you pay at least twice as much for a lens with a large aperture, it's hard not to shoot it wide open all the time. On tight head shots wide open, the slightest subject shift can throw the focus off.

I agree with Jim, stopping down would give you a little more wiggle room. I know you want to blow out the background. I use the DOF preview button and stop down the aperture while watching the background. On shots like this, I've found I can stop down 2 or even 3 stops and still achieve an OOF background while giving myself some wiggle room.

Of the two I prefer the first. I think a little post processing to clean up the eyes and teeth would help. I hesitate to suggest this because I see too many way over-sharpened "Children of the Corn" eyes.

The second is a cute pose, but you need to get her to stick out her chin a little to clean it up.

Aug 09, 2017 at 07:49 AM
lifthard2001
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Kahlyn

I like both but like someone mentioned that focus is off. Maybe your lens lens needs some fine adjustment . I know when I was shooting Nikon the had to do some fine adjustments on my 58g lens

Aug 09, 2017 at 08:20 AM
friscoron
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Kahlyn

These are really nice shots! I especially like the second one.

I shoot with the 85mm f/1.4 Nikon lens and to be honest, I rarely shoot it at f/1.4. When I do, I'm going for that creamy effect and so I make sure her face is square to the camera so both eyes are in focus. I shoot this lens at f/4 or f/5.6 and you can still get a pretty good DOF and the OOF blur in the background. Keep working it, you're off to a great start with this lens.

Aug 09, 2017 at 09:26 AM
Todd
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Kahlyn

dmacmillan wrote:
When you pay at least twice as much for a lens with a large aperture, it's hard not to shoot it wide open all the time. On tight head shots wide open, the slightest subject shift can throw the focus off.

I agree with Jim, stopping down would give you a little more wiggle room. I know you want to blow out the background. I use the DOF preview button and stop down the aperture while watching the background. On shots like this, I've found I can stop down 2 or even 3 stops and still achieve an OOF background
...Show more

I have that depth of field preview button on my camera and I always forget about it. That is a good point, something I should try to start utilizing. Thanks for the tip and the reminder of that button.

Aug 09, 2017 at 09:33 AM
Todd
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Kahlyn

lifthard2001 wrote:
I like both but like someone mentioned that focus is off. Maybe your lens lens needs some fine adjustment . I know when I was shooting Nikon the had to do some fine adjustments on my 58g lens

I recently sent my 105mm lens in for repair at Nikon to get some of the dust out of the elements and when it came back it did not need any auto focus fine-tuning. It was perfect. Still is. Anyway, I guess I was too much in the moment moving too fast and I probably should have stopped it down to F2 .8 at least. Anyway, I will next time .

Aug 09, 2017 at 09:34 AM
Todd
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Kahlyn

friscoron wrote:
These are really nice shots! I especially like the second one.

I shoot with the 85mm f/1.4 Nikon lens and to be honest, I rarely shoot it at f/1.4. When I do, I'm going for that creamy effect and so I make sure her face is square to the camera so both eyes are in focus. I shoot this lens at f/4 or f/5.6 and you can still get a pretty good DOF and the OOF blur in the background. Keep working it, you're off to a great start with this lens.

Thanks.... as a matter of fact I was fairly close to her when I was taking these photographs so, you're right about the background being blurred at smaller apertures and f/2.8 would have been great. Anyway I was just playing with the idea of shooting wide open just to see what I would get. My light was changing too fast for me to think about stopping down I'm trying something else. I guess next time I'll slow down and take my time and use different apertures

Aug 09, 2017 at 09:37 AM
DonM2
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Kahlyn

Todd....

OK, let's forget the camera, lens, pixel-peeping & nits per above.

What was your model, Kahlyn's, response to these pics As you might guess, I'm looking at the image of a good-looking girl, not the pixels that compose it.

Aug 09, 2017 at 11:48 AM
Todd
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Kahlyn

DonM2 wrote:
Todd....

OK, let's forget the camera, lens, pixel-peeping & nits per above.

What was your model, Kahlyn's, response to these pics As you might guess, I'm looking at the image of a good-looking girl, not the pixels that compose it.

This girl is my niece and she loves them. These are probably the best photos I have taken of her so far and she really liked them a lot. Of course I have a lot more of her as well but these two were my personal favorite. I agree that the above quotes from others is mostly personal preference, I chose to shoot wide open and I personally like the way it looks. As photographers I know art is our forte and pleasing others is not really our goal. As long as the client enjoys the photos I guess that's what counts the most.

Thanks..

Aug 09, 2017 at 11:54 AM
Jonathan Brady
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Kahlyn

Stopping down would have helped, but it wouldn't have fixed the fact that the focus didn't land where it was intended, which is on the eye(s). The problem wasn't the aperture, it was the inaccurate focus.

Aug 09, 2017 at 02:15 PM
Big Appa
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Kahlyn

I should comment on the photography, I really like the first photo. But I have got to say that your niece has, IMO, a near perfect face for this type of portrait.

Ed

Aug 09, 2017 at 03:02 PM
MikeMancil
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Kahlyn

Yeah, a tad soft but the excellent lighting and the beautiful young lady still make these successful... Mike

Aug 09, 2017 at 10:48 PM
KathyB2

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Kahlyn

In both images, one of her eyes looks slightly sharper than the other but that is being overly critical, I admit. Great shots!

Aug 13, 2017 at 06:40 AM
jcw1982
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Kahlyn

Very nice images, I think you did an excellent job and the model would be very happy with these shots. The young lady is very photogenic and has a very nice smile. The poses look very natural and relaxed. Again, good job.

Aug 13, 2017 at 05:43 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.