FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

end

Too Many Keepers!

chez
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Too Many Keepers!

CanadaMark wrote:
Storage is so unbelievably cheap that it simply doesn't matter IMHO. If you want to keep all your photos, go ahead.

$8/mo for unlimited storage on Blackblaze

Amazon prime is $99/yr and includes unlimited photo storage including RAW files

8TB hard drives are $150-180 or so

Photo websites like Smugmug allow unlimited storage for $4/mo but JPEG only.

Pick your method and go nuts

For me, really old photos I haven't looked at in years, I just keep the top 100 JPEGS or whatever from a trip I didn't really care about or something similar. For big trips or important events I just keep everything,
...Show more

Cost of storage is not the issue...time to search through hundreds of thousands of photos...many of which you really don't care about is the issue. I can see losing some photos you really like because it just takes so damn long to find them because of all the others that you just kept hanging around because its cheap.

Aug 11, 2017 at 10:15 PM
docsmiles17
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Too Many Keepers!

its a personal decision.

I keep more photos than I should but when a friend has died and I search for photos I have of him or her and I realize I deleted some, I regret it.

I also think as processing advances thru the years, more and more new techniques will emerge where I can apply to those images I may have deleted.

But again, it comes down to personal preference.

Aug 28, 2017 at 05:50 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Too Many Keepers!

docsmiles17 wrote:
its a personal decision.

I keep more photos than I should but when a friend has died and I search for photos I have of him or her and I realize I deleted some, I regret it.

Sometimes people forget how valuable even the crappiest photo or video clip will become upon losing someone.

Aug 28, 2017 at 06:02 AM
grog13
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Too Many Keepers!

Familiar problem. For me, however, sometimes when I go back (much later - a few months or years, not just a few weeks) & look at those "near-keepers" I find one that I decide is better than the "real" keeper. Others I realize I kept because of something I wanted the shot to be but wasn't quite, or because it was technically good (perhpas addressing some challenge I had) but just not that interesting, so those then get deleted. (I'm slowly getting better at recognizing these up front and so my "near-keeper" rate is shrinking.) A few others I'll decide are just what I thought to begin with - pretty good shots that are interesting, just lacking in some way, and whether they are kept or not depends on how unique they are, or what personal value they may have. I think all this just reflects slow but ongoing progress as a photographer.

Aug 28, 2017 at 03:27 PM
lighthound
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Too Many Keepers!

My name is Dave. I'm an image hoarder and I have a problem.

I shot over 1500 images last Monday of an orange and black ball in the sky and I can't delete any of them.

So glad to hear I'm not alone.

Seriously though, I'm right there with many of the comments here. I'm still learning PS and other various editing tools and consider myself a rank amature when it comes to editing skills.
So my hope is that someday when the light finally turns on, I'll be able to go back to many of my images that were never all that great and suddenly turn them into true wall hangers.

That's my 15 years down the road retirement plan at least.

Aug 29, 2017 at 07:00 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Too Many Keepers!

grog13 wrote:
Familiar problem. For me, however, sometimes when I go back (much later - a few months or years, not just a few weeks) & look at those "near-keepers" I find one that I decide is better than the "real" keeper. Others I realize I kept because of something I wanted the shot to be but wasn't quite, or because it was technically good (perhpas addressing some challenge I had) but just not that interesting, so those then get deleted. (I'm slowly getting better at recognizing these up front and so my "near-keeper" rate is shrinking.) A few others I'll decide
...Show more

I find the same and think I have a possible answer - internship alongside a photo editor. Learning how to better read and select the best images.

Aug 29, 2017 at 11:57 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Mr Mouse
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Too Many Keepers!

https://www.wdc.com/products/external-storage/my-book-duo.html
External WD My Book DUO 20TB $850

Formatted NTFS for out-of-the-box compatibility with Windows® 10, Windows 8.1/8.0 or Windows 7. Requires reformatting for other operating systems.

Interface
USB 3.1 Gen 1 (USB 3.0 compatible)

Additional Details
• Massive capacity storage with auto and system backup
• RAID-0 ready out of the box
• RAID optimized WD Red™ drives
• 2x USB 3.0 Type-A hub ports
• 256-bit AES hardware encryption and password protection
• 3-year limited warranty

Package Includes
• My Book Duo Desktop RAID storage
• WD Discovery™ software for WD Backup™, WD Security™ and WD Drive Utilities™
• USB-C to USB-C cable
• USB-C to USB-A cable
• AC adapter
• Disk replacement tool
• Quick install guide

Aug 30, 2017 at 03:15 AM
Bsmooth
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Too Many Keepers!

Good subject, and I've had the same issue, I suppose by monetary value I could literally delete them all, as probably many here could as well because the only one who will ever care about them truly is the one who took them.
You can also keep them, but I wonder If you'll ever use them or look at them again, again its up to the one who took them.
If your a Pro and get paid, that's a completely different story.
I'm a rank amateur or enthusiast If you will, and I consider my images pretty good, at least when I can decide, and that's another issue, whats good and what isn't? But I keep going back and looking at shots and find that's its getting easier and easier to hit that delete key.
In a way I think using film was better, because I think I was a little more careful of the images I took, and maybe took a little more care. Digital is almost too easy, don't take that once in a lifetime shot, take 100 or more and then you run smack dab into the problem were talking about.
If there all that good I would keep them all, but you may want to take a careful look at them, and be critical of everything. Hopefully you'll be your worst critic and find only the best of the best, and those will be the ones to keep.
Its not easy, but the more and more you look at your images the better you'll get at picking out the best, and the real keepers.

Sep 14, 2017 at 04:47 PM
mikek200
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Too Many Keepers!

I think a lot of us have the same problem,but,?

All the suggestions so far are great especially the extra hard drives,,this is a must.

Doing 10K shots on one trip is a lot,,sounds like you are a snap shooter photographer.
Maybe its time for you to slow down a bit,study closely,the image you want to shoot,walk around it,,,sit down calmly,and study its details,consider the weather...cloudy,bright sun,rain??-then decide.,& shoot.
I too,am a advanced amateur photographer,been at it 35 years
When I come back from a trip{usually Thailand,wife & I have a condo in Bangkok},half of what I shoot gets deleted,the other half I slowly edit,then half of that is deleted too,after a more closer look.
The rest go into Zenfolio,& it stays there,until a decide to print it.
Her's some I took up in Maine
Open the link & click on slideshow
http://mike397x.zenfolio.com/p160715561?customize=3
On this trip my wife & I took about 500 images,between the both of us,some of the above are hers.
It rained everyday,except,the day we left}murphy's law?}

Good luck,and relax,take your camera everywhere.
Hope this helps,
Mike

Sep 14, 2017 at 05:04 PM
wlpelzmann
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Too Many Keepers!

This is such a personal decision, and it will probably change as you get more experience and confidence in your ability to edit. There is no universal "right" answer. I have friends who never delete a single image, unless it has obvious technical problems. They are obviously in the storage is cheap camp. Others only keep the very best shots. Neither approach appeals to me. I definitely take a middle ground. Clutter isn't really an issue, since I can filter based on a star rating in Lightroom, but I don't want to carry around excessive baggage. If I can't decide between compositions, I just keep them all until I'm confident. I rarely keep more than 50% of any shoot after my second edit pass.

Sep 15, 2017 at 07:22 AM
OntheRez
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Too Many Keepers!

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
Buy more hard drives

seriously storage is cheap but it does have a cost . that cost at least doubles if you backup .(which you should)

snip

Storage is dirt cheap. The price of RAM (and SSD) approaches the price of sand. (I paid $1200 for my first 10MB hard drive. Worth every penny.)

I do, however, go on jungle bush wacking expeditons. I've improved so many tha earlier attempts no longer meet my standards. Still I have too many copies - as a result of extensive editing - of a particular image. There's an old maximum. "Data expands to fill the space."

20+ years with the PC. Seems to be true.

Sep 15, 2017 at 03:35 PM
       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password