New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Lower Klamath NWR

Bobg657
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lower Klamath NWR

I'm considering a trip up from So Cal to see the migration of geese, ducks, and some eagles beginning around October or so. Their website claims a million birds at this time!

Does anyone have personal experience with this NWR? I haven't seen any postings or info so I wonder just how good it is.

Thanks,
Bob

Aug 07, 2017 at 09:30 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lower Klamath NWR

i grew up in Oregon and knew people that would make the drive there every year - photographers and non photographers. here is some info i found. hope it helps some

PDF info

Aug 07, 2017 at 09:38 PM
Abbott Schindl
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lower Klamath NWR

I've been to K. Falls most of the past 5 winters. I find good numbers in February/March; timing seems to vary a bit each year. Can't say I've ever seen millions, though. Tens of thousands of snow, Ross's, and white-fronted geese; lots of tundra swans, good flocks of pintails and some other ducks. Depending on the year, I usually see good numbers of harriers, reasonable numbers of golden eagles and red-tailed hawks, and usually several hundred sandhill cranes and various other birds.

Their annual Winter Wings Festival is held over President's Day weekend and next year starts on 2/18. You might consider heading up for that. Leave enough time to hit Tulelake NWR as well as Lower Klamath. There are other areas around there as well.

Don't know about October: I've been there in December and not seen much. K. Falls gets numbers of many birds throughout much of the year. The winter migrations are spectacular, but shorebirds and others are also nice to watch and photograph. Be sure you've got a long lens.

Aug 08, 2017 at 12:05 AM
Bobg657
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lower Klamath NWR

Thanks for the info, really helpful!

Aug 08, 2017 at 11:53 AM
dalite
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lower Klamath NWR

Abbott Schindl wrote:
I've been to K. Falls most of the past 5 winters. I find good numbers in February/March; timing seems to vary a bit each year. Can't say I've ever seen millions, though. Tens of thousands of snow, Ross's, and white-fronted geese; lots of tundra swans, good flocks of pintails and some other ducks. Depending on the year, I usually see good numbers of harriers, reasonable numbers of golden eagles and red-tailed hawks, and usually several hundred sandhill cranes and various other birds.

Their annual Winter Wings Festival is held over President's Day weekend and next year starts on 2/18. You
...Show more
_______
+1. Also, during the Winter Wings Festival (if you don't mind crowds) there are display booths selling birding related stuff, a fine Dinner with Keynote speaker (all at the Oregon Technology campus in Klamath Falls), field trips, Canon demonstration, etc. But that's in February. Don't know about October prospects although you should be able to see some early bird migrants from further north. But, yes, you should be able to see lots of geese and shorebirds.

While I enjoy going to Klamath Falls for the festival, I think touting the area as "the greatest concentration of bald eagles in the lower U.S" is something of a hype as there are better areas such as the Skagit valley in Washington state and maybe even around Farmington Bay in the Great Salt Lake, Utah.

Aug 09, 2017 at 11:19 PM
Bobg657
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lower Klamath NWR

Thanks for the info Dalite! I'll check out the other areas you mentioned as well.

Aug 10, 2017 at 10:44 PM
OregonSun
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lower Klamath NWR

Check out nearby Tule Lake NWR while you are there, it has a bit more varied habitat and more blinds. Stop at the visitor center there for tips on where the birds are. Download the brochure about all the blinds on this page:

https://www.fws.gov/refuge/Tule_Lake/photoblinds.html

Don't tell anyone, but you no longer need to reserve the blinds like it says, they are first come first served.

Also Modoc Lava Beds National Monument is really cool if you are into geology and history.

Heron

Aug 10, 2017 at 11:59 PM
Bobg657
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Lower Klamath NWR

Thanks heron, I'll check that out

Aug 11, 2017 at 03:19 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.