Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

Sony FE 12-24mm f/4 G with 77mm regular filters!

GMPhotography
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Sony FE 12-24mm f/4 G with 77mm regular filters!

Go to Amazon search 77mm uv slim filters . Going to have to remove the glass. I just break them usually

kdrk888 wrote:
Guy, which blank 77mm ring would you recommend? I did a quick research and it only came up with step-up rings?

Thanks,

Aug 08, 2017 at 03:34 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Sony FE 12-24mm f/4 G with 77mm regular filters!

Chuck Coyne wrote:
My NiSi filter holder came yesterday and I had previously purchased Lee's SW 150mm x 150mm Little Stopper (6 stop ND), Big Stopper (10 stop ND), Polarizer and 150mm x 170mm 3-Stop soft Grad ND filters. I tested them out with the NiSi holder which I really like and there is no noticable vignetting issues even at the 12mm setting with the holder properly place on the lens. While the setup and filters are large they certainly are not heavy to carry and I really look forward to using them in the field.

I could see using this 77mm filter
...Show more

Hi Chuck,
It should not replace your 150mm filter set and adapter...just an alternative for packing light.
It's easy to attach/remove and works great from 14-24mm. I have no doubt it will work with circular polarizers as well and I should be trying one this week.

Aug 08, 2017 at 07:12 PM
kdrk888
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Sony FE 12-24mm f/4 G with 77mm regular filters!

Fred Miranda wrote:
Hi Chuck,
It's just an alternative to have when not carrying the 150mm filters set and adapter. It will work perfectly from 14-24mm and I have no doubt it will work with circular polarizers as well. I will try one this week.

Fred, for CPL I assume you will need to rotate the whole filter, instead of rotating the part you would normally rotate?

Douglas

Aug 08, 2017 at 07:16 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Sony FE 12-24mm f/4 G with 77mm regular filters!

kdrk888 wrote:
Fred, for CPL I assume you will need to rotate the whole filter, instead of rotating the part you would normally rotate?

Douglas

For the CPL, you would add the flocking/felt around the part that does not move (bottom). Usually the top sections is the one that rotates. I don't see how this would be a problem. Same for variable NDs.

Aug 08, 2017 at 07:17 PM
kdrk888
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Sony FE 12-24mm f/4 G with 77mm regular filters!

Fred Miranda wrote:
For the CPL, you would add the flocking/felt around the part that does not move (bottom). Usually the top sections is the one that rotates. I don't see how this would be a problem. Same for variable NDs.

Thanks Fred. If I use the B+W XPO CPL, which is pretty slim, adding felt only to the not-moving part may cause the felt to come off too easily. Anyway, need to try to find out.

Aug 08, 2017 at 07:25 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Sony FE 12-24mm f/4 G with 77mm regular filters!

kdrk888 wrote:
Thanks Fred. If I use the B+W XPO CPL, which is pretty slim, adding felt only to the not-moving part may cause the felt to come off too easily. Anyway, need to try to find out.

Remember you need to cut the felt longer than the filter surface as I described on the first post. (See the image of the slim breakthrough filter)
I would say cut 1/4" and let it hang towards the bottom for thin filters.
You can't position the filter too low down the hood anyways or it will not let you reach 14mm or even 15mm. so the extra felt will prevent it from going too low and keep things stable.

Also if you move the filter too low on the hood it's much harder to remove it. It's hard to explain, you have to try it out.

Aug 08, 2017 at 07:48 PM
Chuck Coyne
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Sony FE 12-24mm f/4 G with 77mm regular filters!

Some interesting possibilities if you happen to own any Singh-Ray CPL or Vari-N-Duo 77mm filters. I basically can slip a wide rubber band (the kind that comes banded around produce in the grocery market) around the outside of my 77mm Singh-Ray Vari-N-Duo filter and I can get a CPL and ND filter from 2 2/3 to 8 stops on the 12-24 from 19mm to 24mm without vignetting. The rubber band keeps the filter tight in the hood to point that I can point it down and shake it pretty hard and the filter stays put. There is plenty to grab onto to take it out of the hood when done. The rubber band comes off and on easily and I can use the filter for other lenses very easily. I also tried it with my Singh-Ray 77mm Gold-N-Blue Polarizer and with the rubber band around that it fits nice and snug in the hood and I can use it without vignetting from about 15mm to 24mm. I find it very easy to hold the Polarizing filter with my fingers in the front of the lens hood while looking through the eye piece and turning the whole filter around until I find the right amount of polarization. Then I simply push the filter into the hood at that position. Again it is snug to the point that I can shake it upside down and it will stay put. Taking this one out is a bit more difficult then the Vari-N-Duo filter because it doesn't stick out of the hood as far to grab with your finger tips but it isn't too difficult to grab it and pry it out gently. The good news with this CPL filter is that the OEM hood can slide on with the filter attached. It can't with the thicker Vari-N-Duo filter attached. So now I will at least be able to get some polarization and ND effects out of the 12-24 without having to take my NiSi 150mm setup with me on quick light kit outings and I can use them with other lenses of various sizes with step rings. I tried this rubber band trick with a Thin mount Singh-Ray CPL and it doesn't work very well as the ring is too thin and difficult to attach the rubber band to.
Chuck

19mm without Vari-N-Duo Filter

ILCE-7RM2    19mm    f/8.0    1/125s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

19mm with Vari-N-Duo Filter - CPL + Maximum ND applied

ILCE-7RM2    19mm    f/8.0    1/2s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

16mm without Gold-N-Blue CPL

ILCE-7RM2    16mm    f/8.0    1/100s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

16mm with Gold-N-Blue CPL

ILCE-7RM2    16mm    f/4.0    1/100s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

15mm with Gold-N-Blue CPL - start of slight vignetting

ILCE-7RM2    15mm    f/4.0    1/100s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Aug 09, 2017 at 03:33 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Sony FE 12-24mm f/4 G with 77mm regular filters!

Even with a thin filter you could add a blank 77 for more room for a rubber band. I tried this but would not stay on with one filter thread. Need to order a couple blanks and play around. My 77 I use on my FE 35 with a step down ring so I want something temporary as well.

Aug 09, 2017 at 03:49 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Sony FE 12-24mm f/4 G with 77mm regular filters!

Chuck Coyne wrote:
Some interesting possibilities if you happen to own any Singh-Ray CPL or Vari-N-Duo 77mm filters. I basically can slip a wide rubber band (the kind that comes banded around produce in the grocery market) around the outside of my 77mm Singh-Ray Vari-N-Duo filter and I can get a CPL and ND filter from 2 2/3 to 8 stops on the 12-24 from 19mm to 24mm without vignetting. The rubber band keeps the filter tight in the hood to point that I can point it down and shake it pretty hard and the filter stays put. There is plenty to
...Show more

Looks great Chuck, especially for the CPL. Is it the slim version?
It's basically the same idea of adding the felt or flocking and it works.

Here is another solution just came to market today. It's a 6-stop clip-on ND filter that goes before the lens so it will work with all our lenses. I'm not sure if it induces field curvature or if it will work with the 12-24/4 from 12mm but it's another alternative to big 150mm filters.

https://www.cyclopsoptics.com/stc-clip-filter/stc-clip-filter-ir-cut-nd64-sony-alpha-7-9/

I just ordered one and should get it in about a week. I will report back.

Aug 09, 2017 at 04:41 PM
Chuck Coyne
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Sony FE 12-24mm f/4 G with 77mm regular filters!

Fred,
Thanks the Gold-N-Blue CPL is the regular (non-slim version) the other one that I tried but decided was to difficult to use with the rubber band trick is a Thin version CPL. I'll be very interested in hearing how this new solutions works!

Chuck

Aug 09, 2017 at 04:55 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Sony FE 12-24mm f/4 G with 77mm regular filters!

Chuck Coyne wrote:
Fred,
Thanks the Gold-N-Blue CPL is the regular (non-slim version) the other one that I tried but decided was to difficult to use with the rubber band trick is a Thin version CPL. I'll be very interested in hearing how this new solutions works!

Chuck

Here are the specs for the ND64 clip-on. Basically it's a high quality 1mm multi-coated glass. What worries me is the "1mm" glass before the lens. It may create problems focusing at infinity or inducing field curvature. I will test it out.

Highlights:
STC IR-Cut ND64 has zero colour shift
Mounting and removing the Clip-Filter is quick and easy.
Enabling use of ND filters on ultra-wide angle lenses without filter threads
Suitable for Sony mirrorless Alpha 7 and Alpha 9*
The fixed 6-stop ND clip filter is for the ND64 light density, passing through only 1.56% of the light, enabling long exposure motion blur effect under strong daylight
Also it can picture the vague dual image, the detail of the cloud in the sky and the peaceful reflection.
STC IR-Cut ND64 filter has zero color cast
Using 1mm Germany Schott B270 optical glass and no-color cast coating to supply you a new experience of long-exposure photography.

Aug 09, 2017 at 05:10 PM
GabrielPhoto
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Sony FE 12-24mm f/4 G with 77mm regular filters!

Wow all this new findings and tests are making me hold on getting the Nisi for a CPL!

Aug 09, 2017 at 05:29 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Sony FE 12-24mm f/4 G with 77mm regular filters!

Your making me go broke dude. Lol

I ordered one

Fred Miranda wrote:
Here are the specs for the ND64 clip-on. Basically it's a high quality 1mm multi-coated glass. What worries me is the "1mm" glass before the lens. It may create problems focusing at infinity or inducing field curvature. I will test it out.

Highlights:
STC IR-Cut ND64 has zero colour shift
Mounting and removing the Clip-Filter is quick and easy.
Enabling use of ND filters on ultra-wide angle lenses without filter threads
Suitable for Sony mirrorless Alpha 7 and Alpha 9*
The fixed 6-stop ND clip filter is for the ND64 light density, passing through only 1.56% of the light, enabling long exposure motion blur effect
...Show more

Aug 09, 2017 at 06:39 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Sony FE 12-24mm f/4 G with 77mm regular filters!

Why well I could put a ND on sensor and still do a CPL on front at the same time

Aug 09, 2017 at 06:40 PM
Matt Kerby
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Sony FE 12-24mm f/4 G with 77mm regular filters!

Hmm, pretty cool...so it clips into the body cavity, just above the sensor but without touching the sensor, what a great idea...

Aug 09, 2017 at 06:48 PM
Charlie N
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Sony FE 12-24mm f/4 G with 77mm regular filters!

Fred "the guinea pig" Miranda, gotta love it

I kind of want to shy away from anything close to the sensor. In the field, I may unknowingly introduce dust/moisture to the sensor. I would basically marry the 12-24 on the A7r1 if I were to use it, and everything longer on the A7rii. The sensor clip would be fine for street shooting with very clean environment.

Aug 09, 2017 at 06:59 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Sony FE 12-24mm f/4 G with 77mm regular filters!

They have another one to reduce light pollution (astro) but it's twice as thick and not as cheap:
https://www.cyclopsoptics.com/stc-clip-filter/stc-astro-multispectra-clip-filter-sony-alpha-7-9

Aug 09, 2017 at 07:22 PM
Timphoto
• •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Sony FE 12-24mm f/4 G with 77mm regular filters!

Charlie N wrote:
Fred "the guinea pig" Miranda, gotta love it

As Charlie says...We really appreciate you trying all this stuff out for us Fred!

Aug 09, 2017 at 10:54 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Sony FE 12-24mm f/4 G with 77mm regular filters!

Timphoto wrote:
As Charlie says...We really appreciate you trying all this stuff out for us Fred!

I just bought a B+W 77mm slim CPL. I will see how it works with the felt trick. I am expecting it will not vignette starting at 15mm.
What I like about using felt is that it does not mark or damage the built-in hood and it's very easy to attached/remove.

As Guy wrote, a front CPL could possibly be used in combination with the clip-on ND filter (behind the lens)

Aug 09, 2017 at 11:16 PM
GabrielPhoto
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Sony FE 12-24mm f/4 G with 77mm regular filters!

If you guys find a solution for CPL from 12mm then I am totally in!
BTW, Fotodiox is going to announce their adapter soon to.
"It will be part of our WonderPana series, so its designed to work with our 145mm round filters, and our 6.6" square filters."

Aug 09, 2017 at 11:42 PM
       3       4       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password