FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Bird photography from a boat

Lken

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Bird photography from a boat

Hope this discussion is allowed here.
I am fixing up a aluminum 16ft 53 inch wide v bottom boat for bird and wildlife photography. Some people use kayaks which I tried but just didn't get the hang of it. I have painted it a cameo color and put carpet in the bottom to reduce noise. Mounted two swivel seats on it. Planning on mounting a pedsal type mount on one side to mount a gimbal head on. Then later making a light frame to hold cameo netting up to sit under. I was just interested if others have built a boat like this for this purpose. Would love to hear about your boats and how you fixed them up. Pictures would be great. Maybe we could start a discussion on this type of photography and post some bird pictures that have been took from it.
Got some of my ideals from duck hunters boats.

Aug 08, 2017 at 12:12 AM
morris
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Bird photography from a boat

Hi Ken,

I've seen all sorts of rafts and floating blinds and they all work well. You don't need to blend into the scenery, just not look human. As a matter of fact, I've had amazing success getting close to shore birds by wading. For some reason they seem to accept me when I'm in the water.

Morris

Aug 08, 2017 at 12:49 AM
Lken

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Bird photography from a boat

Hmm interesting. I haven't tried that yet. Thanks for the heads up

Aug 08, 2017 at 12:51 AM
morris
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Bird photography from a boat

Check this floating blind out

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/59908229

Boat will work in cold water, you can get plenty low in a boat. When I wade I have to be careful about losing my balance on the muddy bottom.

Aug 08, 2017 at 12:59 AM
Lken

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Bird photography from a boat

I have seen this before. Looks like that it would work great in shallow water. The low eye to eye photos so to speak are really good

Aug 08, 2017 at 01:21 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

morrismike
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Bird photography from a boat

After all that work I hope you're duck hunting out of that thing.

I recently picked up a 12.5' Lund Ducker for small water fishing and photography boat. I would agree with Morris that sitting on the floor of that shooting over the side not looking like a human is the key.

Aug 08, 2017 at 02:14 AM
Lken

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Bird photography from a boat

unfortunately I don't duck hunt. But I do like their boats.

Aug 08, 2017 at 02:47 AM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Bird photography from a boat

That looks nice Ken. Take it out a time or two and see what the critters think. If they seem a bit skittish, a stadium seat might work better ~ Ron

Aug 08, 2017 at 02:50 AM
Lken

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Bird photography from a boat

I hope it will work. I used to fish a lot before I got into photography and I remember most birds didn't pay much attention to people in boats.
Plus I am planning on building a frame to support a cameo,net to sit under.

Aug 08, 2017 at 03:09 AM
Lken

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Bird photography from a boat

Well just got back from a couple of trips out in the boat. While my pictures weren't up to my expectations as far as sharpness I can say the boat certainly allowed for a lot more opportunities for good shots. With a little more tweaking on boat and camera settings I believe this will be a great tool for wildlife shooting opportunities.

Aug 10, 2017 at 11:46 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password