New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

end

AF or not AF?

rico
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · AF or not AF?

I use a broad mix of AF and manual lenses, and also focus manually with AF lenses when appropriate. Mirrorless makes critical focus easier for manual lenses, but AF lenses are hardly displaced. As noted, nothing beats prefocus but the situation has to be right, and DOF needs to be sufficient to trap the subject. An example is the following with A7ii and Leitz Elmar 50/2.8 v1 wide open:

I prefocussed on the ground using magnified view. However, closeups of my daughter with the Elmar wide open required magnified view and concurrent exposure because critical DOF was about 2in: even swaying on my feet was causing the focus plane to move around! If I needed the highest hit rate, I would have selected the D500 and Nikkor 17-55/2.8—the boat-anchor solution.

Aug 15, 2017 at 06:27 AM
timballic
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · AF or not AF?

For nearly 40 years, all MF. Now my eyes are ageing and I get vision related headaches, I'm in the process of switching to (nearly) all AF. Not for preference but necessity!

Aug 15, 2017 at 03:42 PM
waterden
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · AF or not AF?

Do you use OVF or EVF? Latter might help. It's made a huge difference for me and I've been using MF on and off for 40 years too. I find AF a bit unpredictable although Sony's Eye AF is brilliant in a studio context. Also I love using MF lenses because they usually have aperture rings too!

timballic wrote:
For nearly 40 years, all MF. Now my eyes are ageing and I get vision related headaches, I'm in the process of switching to (nearly) all AF. Not for preference but necessity!

Aug 15, 2017 at 04:06 PM
timballic
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · AF or not AF?

Haven't used OVF for a few years now, I've found that I prefer using the LCD to EVF in most situations. I mainly shoot from tripod, so standing back to compose etc, suits me well.

Aug 15, 2017 at 05:20 PM
       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password