1       2       3      
       end

Good Alternatives To PhotoShop/Lightroom

chez
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Good Alternatives To PhotoShop/Lightroom

butchM wrote:
The difference being that it is the end user who determines at what point their purchased software license becomes 'useless' ... not the developer.

Really? Much of my software CDís purchased over the last 20 years have exactly zero chance of running with todayís hardware / OSís. Sure you can keep a old windows 98 box running if you like...but for all intense purposes those versions are toast.

Iím sorry to say that you donít decide when your software is obsolete...that is done for you by technology moving along.

Nov 01, 2017 at 07:38 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Good Alternatives To PhotoShop/Lightroom

chez wrote:
Iím sorry to say that you donít decide when your software is obsolete...that is done for you by technology moving along.

Depressingly this is pretty much the case now. You can mostly blame MS, who have also moved over to a software as a service model and who feel that the best way to demonstrate the value of their product is to periodically break backward compatibility in random ways. With the older model of discrete releases it was not at all unrealistic to expect software to run for many years without needing major upgrades.

Nov 01, 2017 at 08:08 PM
Emile Gregoire
• • • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Good Alternatives To PhotoShop/Lightroom

chez wrote:
Really? Much of my software CDís purchased over the last 20 years have exactly zero chance of running with todayís hardware / OSís. Sure you can keep a old windows 98 box running if you like...but for all intense purposes those versions are toast.

While I mostly agree, you do obviously have more control if you're not locked into an ever-updating cycle. It might be mere psychology but if I'd pay $10 a month I'd surely want to have every update. When not, I get to choose. Do I want the update? Does that require updating my OS? Does that require updating my hardware? Do I want that at this point in time? Etc. etc. To me the $10 isn't objectionable. I don't need or want PS but even so $10/mo isn't a bad deal. It's about choices I get to make at the moment that suits me. In the meantime that usually means I update all the time

Nov 01, 2017 at 08:10 PM
butchM
• • • • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Good Alternatives To PhotoShop/Lightroom

chez wrote:

Why always the extremest? Who ever mentioned keeping decades old technology running? I merely pointed out the flaw in your analogy. Plenty of folks are running CS3-4-5-6 products on current Windows and Apple OS configurations today.

Nov 01, 2017 at 08:13 PM
butchM
• • • • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Good Alternatives To PhotoShop/Lightroom

Looks like Serif just released v1.6 update for Affinity Photo (and Affinity Designer) and are offering some freebie add ons until Nov. 16.

https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/photo/

Nov 02, 2017 at 11:47 PM
tonyespofoto
• •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Good Alternatives To PhotoShop/Lightroom

You can keep old, even ancient software running on modern machines. I'm running Windows 7, 64bit. I have a copy of PS CS3 that runs fine. I keep it because it is the last version which can open Kodak scans. I also have CS5 which is the last version to support picture package, an essential part of my everyday workflow. I also still use deBase IV, an antique DOS-based program which I have used since 1983. Pagemaker also runs, as well as InDesign CS2. One of my complaints with subscription-based software is that newer editions tend to drop features which I find either useful or essential. I don't care for LR, which would be the replacement for picture package. Moreover, using 2 programs, instead of 1 is definitely not efficient. What I'm really surprised at is that more portrait photographers did not object. You certainly cannot do the kind of retouching in LR that is required for 20x24 or larger portraits. Additionally, I find that Epson prints generally have better color, a wider gamut and deeper blacks than C-prints, so I tend to print my own rather than out-source. So I find the loss of picture package very distressing.

Nov 03, 2017 at 03:27 PM
elkhornsun
• • • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Good Alternatives To PhotoShop/Lightroom

With Photoshop the only gain was with CS6 with its 64-bit operation under Windows to provide for more than 3.5GB of memory access. I never liked ACR as it produced lower quality RAW conversions. The subscription change by Adobe was driven by greed and nothing more. Look at the surge in profits for the people at Adobe since making the change.

I use Nikon Capture for my RAW conversions to TIFF and then work on the files with CS6 standalone. I am started to work with Affinity and overall it is a much better integrated product than Adobe PS and Bridge.

Something to consider as well is CaptureOne which has purchased a DAM company and will be integrating the two products. CaptureOne provides a similar workflow to that of Lightroom which is why I dislike it and prefer using iMatch from Photools for DAM. I want flexibility in my workflow depending upon what I am shooting and editing. Not all of my images warrant the same workflow process and keyword tagging and archiving, etc. and I would expect this to be the case for other photographers.

Nov 03, 2017 at 07:12 PM
bjornthun
• • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Good Alternatives To PhotoShop/Lightroom

elkhornsun wrote:
With Photoshop the only gain was with CS6 with its 64-bit operation under Windows to provide for more than 3.5GB of memory access. I never liked ACR as it produced lower quality RAW conversions. The subscription change by Adobe was driven by greed and nothing more. Look at the surge in profits for the people at Adobe since making the change.

I use Nikon Capture for my RAW conversions to TIFF and then work on the files with CS6 standalone. I am started to work with Affinity and overall it is a much better integrated product than Adobe PS and
...Show more

Adobe's greed knows no bounds, it seems. I've subscribed for several years to LR/Photoshop, and when I cancelled my subscription yesterday, they wanted payment for 50% of the remaining one year plan. This, even though I've subscribed for much more than a year already. This practice isn't even legal for cell phone operators in my country, but Adobe can do it. Adobe is greedy, for sure.

I've switched to Capture One and Affinity Photo, and I'm happy with that. Affinity Photo does everything I require, that I used Photoshop for.

Nikon Capture (CNX2) delivered very high quality, and I used it in my Nikon days. I think CNX2 could have been a strong selling point for Nikon cameras, had Nikon been able to still sell it. Capture One is an equally strong, or even stronger selling point for Sony. They've done well to offer C1 Express for free to Sony users (like me) and an upgrade to C1 Pro for $50, though these versions only work with Sony files they offer the full features sets.

Nov 04, 2017 at 01:47 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

dgdg
• • • • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Good Alternatives To PhotoShop/Lightroom

I really liked the Affinity photo demo.
Only thing I couldn't find was something analogous to the apply image tool in CS6. I have only needed to use apply image once, but now I have an extra tool for enhancing a composite. Since I have CS6 and LR stand alone, I don't have to make any decisions for a few years.
Although the Adobe subcription model is diskiked by some here on FM, based on their profit reports, it brought the very expensive stand alone program to the masses who are quite happy to keep paying. The Adobe subcription is virtually free compared to what some businesses charge for software licenses in other industries.
Will I eventually join the subscription in a few years, hard to say as a lot can change by then. Standalone CS6 and LR have all I need except for my recent discovery of topaz denoise which really is amazing for difficult images.

Nov 04, 2017 at 02:19 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Good Alternatives To PhotoShop/Lightroom

bjornthun wrote:
Adobe's greed knows no bounds, it seems. I've subscribed for several years to LR/Photoshop, and when I cancelled my subscription yesterday, they wanted payment for 50% of the remaining one year plan....

That is the way the annual subscriptions work. As I recall you have some other alternatives if you want to not be stuck with the annual plan, though that flexibility costs you more. As I recall, this was pretty clear a the start of my subscription.

Just continue to use it for six months more and cancel then. No big deal. In many ways it makes a lot more sense to overlap your departure from Adobe with your adoption of new tools. These transitions don't always go as smoothly as one might hope.

Nov 04, 2017 at 03:07 PM
bjornthun
• • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Good Alternatives To PhotoShop/Lightroom

gdanmitchell wrote:
That is the way the annual subscriptions work. As I recall you have some other alternatives if you want to not be stuck with the annual plan, though that flexibility costs you more. As I recall, this was pretty clear a the start of my subscription.

Just continue to use it for six months more and cancel then. No big deal. In many ways it makes a lot more sense to overlap your departure from Adobe with your adoption of new tools. These transitions don't always go as smoothly as one might hope.

No, I stopped mine yesterday. Adobe types with fine print, and hope that people forget when a couple of years have past. Essentially they bank on people not temembering exact dates of renewals and cash in on that.

Nov 04, 2017 at 04:16 PM
charlyw
• • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Good Alternatives To PhotoShop/Lightroom

bjornthun wrote:
No, I stopped mine yesterday. Adobe types with fine print, and hope that people forget when a couple of years have past. Essentially they bank on people not temembering exact dates of renewals and cash in on that.

Another blatant lie trying to discredit Adobe. When your subscription is up for renewal you get a timely email confirming the upcoming due date and the details of your subscription and how to continue, change or cancel that. I know because I just received that very email which is one month in advance of the renewal itself!

Nov 04, 2017 at 10:09 PM
chez
• • • • • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · Good Alternatives To PhotoShop/Lightroom

charlyw wrote:
Another blatant lie trying to discredit Adobe. When your subscription is up for renewal you get a timely email confirming the upcoming due date and the details of your subscription and how to continue, change or cancel that. I know because I just received that very email which is one month in advance of the renewal itself!

Charly I concur. I had the same e-mail back in the summer.

Nov 04, 2017 at 10:18 PM
Emile Gregoire
• • • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · Good Alternatives To PhotoShop/Lightroom

charlyw wrote:

In many countries in Europe, after one year customers are legally free to terminate a contract (in a number of sectors) at any time they choose and should get a refund for the time remaining. Might be Bjorn is referring to that. American corporations regularly need to be persuaded to follow the law by suing them. Apple for instance took a long time to comply with EU warranty laws. I can't comment on whether that's the case here as I just don't know, but I wouldn't call it a blatant lie without knowing all the details either.

Nov 04, 2017 at 11:49 PM
bjornthun
• • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · Good Alternatives To PhotoShop/Lightroom

Emile Gregoire wrote:
In many countries in Europe, after one year customers are legally free to terminate a contract (in a number of sectors) at any time they choose and should get a refund for the time remaining. Might be Bjorn is referring to that. American corporations regularly need to be persuaded to follow the law by suing them. Apple for instance took a long time to comply with EU warranty laws. I can't comment on whether that's the case here as I just don't know, but I wouldn't call it a blatant lie without knowing all the details either.

That is exactly what I'm referring to. Cell phone subscription is one of them.

Nov 05, 2017 at 12:02 AM
1       2       3      
       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password