New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

Good Alternatives To PhotoShop/Lightroom

Abbott Schindl
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Good Alternatives To PhotoShop/Lightroom

Give Capture One a try. They've said in various webinars and communications that they plan to continue with both perpetual and subscription versions, although of course "strategy" can change. Unlike Adobe, Phase One supplies Capture One with their Phase One cameras, and they also supply an "Express" version with Sony cameras. I expect that providing these versions will encourage continued perpetual versions. Also, Phase One currently lets you skip 2 versions and pay the upgrade price for the third (or second or first) major update release. Their current perpetual license is for 3 machines. I've only used C1 since v8 (they're now on 10), and have seen pretty significant feature addition in each successive upgrade. Also, they occasionally add something during "dot" updates, which Adobe doesn't do for perpetual license holders.

I have PS CS6 and frankly, since moving to C1, I rarely use it. I'm not much on special effects and prefer to stick with Raw development as far as possible. C1 lets me do that. If I need to go beyond, I have Affinity Photo (who also provides significant new features with their "dot" upgrades) or a MacPhun program.

The only real gripes I have with C1 are that it's slow to launch (gets really slow with huge libraries), and they still need to work its DAM capabilities (which are OK now, but arguably not as good as LR).

Aug 08, 2017 at 05:22 PM
jstrawman
• •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Good Alternatives To PhotoShop/Lightroom

Nightshots wrote:
Thanks to all For your Help! ..I did not know that Lightroom was available as a standalone product. And will have to look at the other suggestions as well.

Adobe has the links pretty-well buried. Buy LR 6 standalone here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/download-install-single-app-Lightroom-6.html

Aug 08, 2017 at 06:31 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Good Alternatives To PhotoShop/Lightroom

butchM wrote:
I have no problem paying a fair and reasonable price for my tools (just ask B&H) ... but ... even though the monthly fee is quite low, it's not much of a bargain if Adobe is no longer pushing the envelope to take their offerings to the next level.

This is the major problem with all subscription software - once they have you paying monthly to use software they basically have you by the short and curlies. For LR in particular (and you could argue for PS with the PSB file format), it is very hard to move to another package due to the proprietary nature of the database / file format. That is not a criticism as such, as most software has proprietary file formats, but with such a tight grip on your proverbials they know that the barrier to leaving is high. Combine this with the pressure from shareholders for dividends, and it's easy to see that there is an incentive to cut R&D to the bare minimum. This is of course true to some extent for all subscription software, not just for Adobe.

I would comment that when Adobe brought this model out i felt that a large part of the motivation was that PS was so mature and so capable that they were probably struggling to find new ways in which to innovate and expand the software capablility, and so were worried about monetising PS into the future. Considering that with Photoshop, Adobe was basically it's own main competitor (the older version competing against the newer), moving everyone to a subscription model really sorted a lot of impending problems for them.

Aug 08, 2017 at 07:04 PM
elkhornsun
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Good Alternatives To PhotoShop/Lightroom

If you like the way Lightroom functions then a good alternative is CaptureOne. I dislike using both as they interfere with my normal workflow and I use multiple computers at the office and on the road and Lightroom is designed for one user and one computer and one storage device.

Alternatives I use include Nikon Capture NX-D when I need the highest quality RAW conversion, DXO Optics Pro, Photo RAW 2017, and my newest is Serif software's Affinity. The Affinity user interface is something that I find much better than that from Adobe for doing the RAW conversions. Affinity and Photo RAW work with third party plugins.

In Costa Rica in January we stayed at a lodge where we all shared a 1.5MB data connection which was pretty good and better than what I find at hotels in California for the most part and better than I can get at my house where not even DSL if not available form AT&T. The shared connection took the individual user speed down to the point where anyone using Lightroom CC could not boot and work on their pictures. Not an unusual problem with applications like this that are running on Web servers, which added greatly to Adobe's profits but created problems for their customers.

Aug 10, 2017 at 12:02 AM
Ernie Aubert
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Good Alternatives To PhotoShop/Lightroom

I'm sure liking DXO. I've processed the same CR2s to the best of my ability in DXO and DPP to compare, and I preferred the results I got from DXO. This is an alternative to LR, not PS/CS6, since I can generate TIFFs either way and work on those in CS6.

Aug 10, 2017 at 04:34 PM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Good Alternatives To PhotoShop/Lightroom

Capture one. Great photographs deserve the best converter

Aug 12, 2017 at 01:17 AM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Good Alternatives To PhotoShop/Lightroom

elkhornsun wrote:
... The shared connection took the individual user speed down to the point where anyone using Lightroom CC could not boot and work on their pictures. Not an unusual problem with applications like this that are running on Web servers, which added greatly to Adobe's profits but created problems for their customers.

That would only be because their photos were stored on the cloud. I hate the cloud concept. Luckily, anything that is in or directly connected to a computer will be fully accessible and usable by Lr CC with or without an internet connection. Take one or two portable drives with you so that you can have separate backup copies and you'll be ok. I think you can stay off line for about three months before Lr gives up on you and stops you editing files that are on local storage. However, they may depend on the period of the subscription you have taken out.

Aug 12, 2017 at 01:26 PM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Good Alternatives To PhotoShop/Lightroom

elkhornsun wrote:
I use multiple computers at the office and on the road and Lightroom is designed for one user and one computer and one storage device.

It's possible to work on photos on multiple computers running LR without any problem. One key aspect is creating a catalog specifically for a shoot/job/event, etc., rather than just adding it to one massive catalog. Load the catalog in another computer and connect the external drive with the images and you're in business. I also very often have the files networked off another computer, which works just fine over a gigabit LAN. If LR isn't able to locate the files then it's a simple matter of pointing it at them and it will then update the catalog accordingly with the new location. Another option is to do a 'save' and have LR write the edits to an XMP sidecar file, or directly into the DNG. The file will then open with that edit in another copy of LR, but you won't have access to the edit history, which is only available from the catalog.

Anyway, I'm also not a fan of the subscription model and am still using LR6 standalone and ancient CS2 on the oldest computer I have running with the required OS support. I've since purchased Affinity as a stopgap for the inevitable future when I have to upgrade that workstation (because it died) and can no longer run CS2... If and when LR goes subscription only, I'll have to reconsider. It may be possible to continue with LR6 by converting future unsupported camera RAW files to DNG with Adobe's DNG converter, though that is also somewhat of a compromise.

Aug 17, 2017 at 12:25 AM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Good Alternatives To PhotoShop/Lightroom

rscheffler wrote:
It's possible to work on photos on multiple computers running LR without any problem.

You can only run it on two at the same time. It's network aware like photoshop is, I believe (but don't know for sure as I've stopped using it - who knows what Adobe has changed?)

The license is good for two seats, though as mentioned above there is no problem, the installer will run on many stations.

Capture One, btw, has three seats per license. I own two licenses personally, so in theory I can use it up to 6 machines, PC or Mac, all at the same time. I only need 4 though, so I many not upgrade one license.

I tested LR a few months ago, even though in the past I have not liked their conversions very much. Not as much fine detail and texture. They've gotten better but not imho close to C1, especially this new v10. Capture one's sharpening is the best in class as well imho as are the color control tools. The new version is fully supported by API's to work seamlessly with Tangent's Ripple or Wave hardware grading tools - if you want to go insanely high end. I don't have one now but did when I worked as a photographer a few years at a State Agency and it is amazing for grading video. Now we can use it for Raw files as well. I can't describe how much faster and sweeter it makes color work to be able to manipulate Highlights, Mids and shadow color separately but at the same time.

The level of control and personalization is amazing. The only downside is that it is a much deeper pool to dive into compared to other offerings.

Here is how I have my two Color work tabs setup:

Aug 19, 2017 at 05:56 PM
Peter Figen
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Good Alternatives To PhotoShop/Lightroom

" The shared connection took the individual user speed down to the point where anyone using Lightroom CC could not boot and work on their pictures."

You're implying that you're booting Lr from Adobe's servers. Not true. It's an app installed on YOUR computer. It should boot just fine, but if, as others have pointed out, you're using some sort of cloud services for storage, well, then, that's not a very smart thing to do when you know you have a shitty connection.

Aug 19, 2017 at 08:01 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

rextilleon
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Good Alternatives To PhotoShop/Lightroom

I'm a subscriber and to be quite frank, as each year goes buy I become more and more dissatisfied with Adobe. I don't see them improving the performance of their products (particularly Lightroom). Unless things change quickly, I'm going to use Capture One.

Aug 21, 2017 at 12:25 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Good Alternatives To PhotoShop/Lightroom

While I mostly use LR on a day-to-day basis, having PS via PS CC is a huge plus.

Also, having LR and PS on my (home) desktop and (work) notebook is very useful.

If pushed could give up LR for DPP, I guess. But PS? It is very helpful when creating educational materials.

Aug 21, 2017 at 06:43 AM
tung256

p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Good Alternatives To PhotoShop/Lightroom

"Adobe has the links pretty-well buried. Buy LR 6 standalone here:"
https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/download-install-single-app-Lightroom-6.htm

will you get RAW updates as newer cams come out?
i notice the CR2 on my canon m6 is not the same as my canon 5dii

Aug 21, 2017 at 02:23 PM
Claude
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Good Alternatives To PhotoShop/Lightroom

Nobody tried Affinity Photo?

Claude

Aug 21, 2017 at 02:32 PM
Cadaver
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Good Alternatives To PhotoShop/Lightroom

Does Lightroom (standalone), DXO or Capture One presently offer a version of the dehaze tool?

Aug 21, 2017 at 05:46 PM
Abbott Schindl
• •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Good Alternatives To PhotoShop/Lightroom

No Dehaze in perpetual license LR, but there are at least two free/shareware plugins that do a darn close job.

C1: I haven't found a need for Dehaze, since C1's controls do enough for me. I tend to work with Clarity (sort of like LR's Vibrancy, but different; you need to try it to understand the difference), Structure (don't know of an equivalent in LR) and Levels (not in LR, AFAIK).

I haven't used DxO in many years, so can't comment about it.

Aug 22, 2017 at 05:12 PM
mikeengles
• •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Good Alternatives To PhotoShop/Lightroom

Hello
DXO 10 has a very good dehaze.I don't own it I have just tried the 30day trial.
MDE

Aug 22, 2017 at 05:32 PM
Pooschey

p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Good Alternatives To PhotoShop/Lightroom

Can you migrate your LR images to C1?

Aug 23, 2017 at 03:38 AM
Abbott Schindl
• •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Good Alternatives To PhotoShop/Lightroom

Yes and no. That's part of what locks one into a particular program. Each program uses its own adjustment algorithms.

The "yes" part: You keep your on-disk images where they are: on a disk, in a folder structure. You can import your LR catalog into C1, which brings most of your library structure and metadata into C1.

The "no" part is that C1 doesn't import your LR adjustments.

If I was migrating from LR to C1, I'd do the above and either:
- Keep LR around so I could reuse the images that were edited in it, or
- Bake the adjustments in by saving the adjusted images as TIFF. Note that images you've processed in an external editor or plug-in are already in TIFF, JPEG, or PSD format, and C1 reads those just fine. It's only the images that were adjusted only in LR (ACR) whose adjustments C1 doesn't understand.

You might want to just download the free 30-day C1 trial and see how it works for you. Or watch some Phase One YouTube materials about C1.

Aug 23, 2017 at 03:57 PM
Richard Smith
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Good Alternatives To PhotoShop/Lightroom

Claude wrote:
Nobody tried Affinity Photo?

Claude

Certainly have, using Affinity as a Photoshop replacement but Capture One for most Raw Processing.
Not an expert with Affinity yet but getting there.
Very happy to have made the split away from Adobe.

Aug 25, 2017 at 03:27 PM
       3       4       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password