New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Good Alternatives To PhotoShop/Lightroom

Nightshots

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Good Alternatives To PhotoShop/Lightroom

Can anyone suggest a good Semi / Pro Alternative to Photoshop, I have reached the point where I need to upgrade my Version, and I see Adobe has started a Leasing Program to use their product..

Edited on Aug 08, 2017 at 03:43 AM · View previous versions

Aug 07, 2017 at 07:16 PM
mikeengles
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Good Alternatives To PhotoShop/Lightroom

Hello
Recently I tried out DXO11, ACDSEE ultimate, Capture one and DPP.
I don't use Photoshop much nowadays
Some good points to all of them. Sadly Lightroom in my opinon still has the edge. Price performance and tools
I really do not want to go down the subscription road.
MDE

Aug 07, 2017 at 07:33 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Good Alternatives To PhotoShop/Lightroom

Nightshots wrote:
Can anyone suggest a good Semi / Pro Alternative to Photoshop, I have reached the point where I need to upgrade my Version, and I see Adobe has started a ...never really own it method of keeping up with their product..

You don't have to rent Lightroom, it's still available as a standalone product. I would never rent software.

You can pick up a slightly older version of PS pretty cheap, I still use CS3 and it works fine for my needs and cost me very little.

I also use DPP but of all the RAW converters I have tried Lightroom is still the best

Aug 07, 2017 at 07:37 PM
EGrav
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Good Alternatives To PhotoShop/Lightroom

Capture One Pro

Aug 07, 2017 at 08:08 PM
butchM
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Good Alternatives To PhotoShop/Lightroom

dhphoto wrote:
You don't have to rent Lightroom, it's still available as a standalone product. I would never rent software.

I agree.

To the OP: If you like how ACR renders your RAW images, Lr v 6 uses the same underlying code, just a different UI. Though Lr can't do many of the things you may have become accustomed to in Ps.

Affinity Photo could be a reasonable replacement for Photoshop for most photographers for pixel level editing using adjustment layers, etc. as well as very good tools for compositing and general graphic arts/design in that it is very affordable, efficient code optimized for current and near future hardware. Has a small footprint and none of the extra bloat that comes along with Ps.

Aug 07, 2017 at 09:19 PM
Nightshots

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Good Alternatives To PhotoShop/Lightroom

Thanks to all For your Help! ..I did not know that Lightroom was available as a standalone product. And will have to look at the other suggestions as well.

Aug 08, 2017 at 03:52 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Good Alternatives To PhotoShop/Lightroom

Nightshots wrote:
Thanks to all For your Help! ..I did not know that Lightroom was available as a standalone product. .

That's because Adobe want to bleed you over many years, they don't advertise it, but it is

Aug 08, 2017 at 05:11 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Good Alternatives To PhotoShop/Lightroom

I would love for Canon to take a leaf out of Adobe's book and get the GUI of DPP together.

If only a they would spend a bit more on DPP I would drop Lightroom. Although Adobe CC with Photoshop is pretty great deal - I can have LR and PS on my desktop and notebook which is very useful at work.

Aug 08, 2017 at 07:42 AM
philber
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Good Alternatives To PhotoShop/Lightroom

The day Adobe introduced their pay model, I was in shock. If you stopped paying rental fees, not only would you lose all your edits, but they would own your shots! They have since backtracked from this, but such was the shock that I decided I would have nothing to do with people who thought along such lines -ever! I tried Capture One, and, past the learning curve, am delighted that I changed over.

Aug 08, 2017 at 07:42 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Good Alternatives To PhotoShop/Lightroom

philber wrote:
The day Adobe introduced their pay model, I was in shock. If you stopped paying rental fees, not only would you lose all your edits, but they would own your shots! They have since backtracked from this, but such was the shock that I decided I would have nothing to do with people who thought along such lines -ever! I tried Capture One, and, past the learning curve, am delighted that I changed over.

You can still get Lightroom as a standalone you know

Aug 08, 2017 at 07:49 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Good Alternatives To PhotoShop/Lightroom

Yes, the old Photoshop .PSD thing is tricky. When I am finally done with CC I might have to bring out the GIMP.

Aug 08, 2017 at 08:30 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Good Alternatives To PhotoShop/Lightroom

Paul Mo wrote:
Yes, the old Photoshop .PSD thing is tricky. When I am finally done with CC I might have to bring out the GIMP.

Are new PSD files compatible with earlier versions of PS? That might help.

Aug 08, 2017 at 10:36 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Good Alternatives To PhotoShop/Lightroom

dhphoto wrote:
Are new PSD files compatible with earlier versions of PS? That might help.

I have no idea. I thought they weren't?

Aug 08, 2017 at 12:05 PM
butchM
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Good Alternatives To PhotoShop/Lightroom

philber wrote:

While I too, have concerns about long term potential problems with Adobe's subscription licensing model, I also think it is important not to confuse these issues with incorrect comments.

No one ever 'lost' their shots with Ps/Lr CC nor did Adobe ever 'own' your shots. Ever. The situation is no different if you started out with C1, DPP or any other software choice and then moved your workflow to another application.

The CC apps did cease to function in the past if you allowed your subscription to lapse, but your shots were always there. Could the work you performed in Lr or ACR be rendered directly in another competing RAW processor? No. Though, that is the case for ALL RAW converters. For example, Lightroom or ACR cannot directly render any work you perform in Capture One. If you stop using C1, yes, any edits are lost if you move to another app, but the original image will always be there.

Now in Lr, you can view, export and print your images from Lightroom even if your subscription expires. The only modules that stop functioning completely are Maps (because Adobe is not going to pay licensing fees to Google if you are no longer paying for Lightroom) and Develop ... for obvious reasons. Ps will cease to function completely but your image files worked on in Photoshop are not 'lost' ... though any resulting .jpeg, tiff, .psd etc. can be used in other apps that support those file types with some exceptions.

As far as newer .PSD files working with older versions of Ps or being rendered completely in third party apps, some layer renderings may not be rendered accurately or at all if there has been extensive updates between the versions of Ps used. In third party apps that say they support .PSD files, there have always been such issues while they are allowed to read these files, they do not have permission or licensing to duplicate Adobe's proprietary code to exactly replicate various functions that may be contained in adjustment layers or layer styles that were invoked when the images was last worked on in Photoshop. The same would be true for adjustment layers and/or layer styles of any .TIF files created in Ps.

I firmly believe that Adobe should be held to task over policies they change or establish, but it helps no one to muddy the waters with inaccurate statements.

Aug 08, 2017 at 01:15 PM
tonyespofoto
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Good Alternatives To PhotoShop/Lightroom

While I'm no fan of the subscription model (I'm philosophically opposed), it only costs $10.00/month for both PS and LR, which is about what it would have cost to upgrade either of them on a regular basis. What I do not like is that the upgrades are now more buggy (in my personal experience) than the CD upgrades of the past. Whether you choose CaptureOne or PS, now or in the past, you are on an upgrade path. Between Microsoft, camera manufacturers, Apple and other players, everything becomes progressively obsolete. The days of beautiful brass and glass that with care would last a professional lifetime are sadly gone. However, the advances made in image quality and ease of use are substantial. Everything has its price.

Aug 08, 2017 at 01:29 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Good Alternatives To PhotoShop/Lightroom

tonyespofoto wrote:
However, the advances made in image quality and ease of use are substantial. Everything has its price.

But the differences in the upgrades of PS and Lightroom are now very small indeed, often they are features few need

Aug 08, 2017 at 01:32 PM
philber
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Good Alternatives To PhotoShop/Lightroom

To ButchM: Adobe introduced their subscription model in 2013. Such was the pushback to their intended terms that they softened their original stance. That is easy to verify with a Google search. So much for muddy waters and inaccurate statements. Being called names doesn't offend me, because it says more about you than about me. #EndOfConversation

Aug 08, 2017 at 01:39 PM
tonyespofoto
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Good Alternatives To PhotoShop/Lightroom

I'm pretty sure that butchm is quite right about backwards compatibility. With for instance, a 5Ds, a 16bit file and a few layers, it is possible to exceed the 2GB PSD file limitation size. Likewise for Tif files (4GB). PSB files, the only remaining alternative, can be exceedingly large but are not suported so far as I know, outside of Adobe. I think this is a serious issue.

Aug 08, 2017 at 01:45 PM
butchM
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Good Alternatives To PhotoShop/Lightroom

philber wrote:
To ButchM: Adobe introduced their subscription model in 2013. Such was the pushback to their intended terms that they softened their original stance. That is easy to verify with a Google search. So much for muddy waters and inaccurate statements. Being called names doesn't offend me, because it says more about you than about me. #EndOfConversation

Yes, I pointed out the difference between then and now. I never called you a name ... and your statement: If you stopped paying rental fees, not only would you lose all your edits, but they would own your shots! is simply NOT true. Yes, you might lose your edits, but Adobe never 'owned' your shots. Ever.

Aug 08, 2017 at 02:09 PM
butchM
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Good Alternatives To PhotoShop/Lightroom

tonyespofoto wrote:
While I'm no fan of the subscription model (I'm philosophically opposed), it only costs $10.00/month for both PS and LR, which is about what it would have cost to upgrade either of them on a regular basis.

That's my issue with the CC licensing model ... I am a current subscriber to the Photography Package as well as a Ps license holder since 1992 (v2.0 thru PSCS 6) and Lightroom (v1 thru v6).

I'm afraid too many users will be rocked to sleep over the low, basically painless price of entry for the package that over time ... just like bringing a frog to a boil ... they won't realize they are no longer receiving the same value for their investment as they had previously when upgrades were sold entirely on the merit based system.

I have no problem paying a fair and reasonable price for my tools (just ask B&H) ... but ... even though the monthly fee is quite low, it's not much of a bargain if Adobe is no longer pushing the envelope to take their offerings to the next level.

I am quite sure, if the past 2+ years since Lr 6 was released, if we were still under the traditional licensing model, Lightroom would be a very different product than it is now. There would have been much more incentive to be bigger, faster, stronger and do much more. As it is, there is little if any pressure take significant strides forward if their next pay check (or stock option bonus for the execs) was in jeopardy.

Aug 08, 2017 at 04:54 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password