Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

American Football: What Are You Doing & Doing Differe...

PureMichigan
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · American Football: What Are You Doing & Doing Differently?

For many of us in the States, Christmas arrives in a couple weeks with the beginning of HS/College football season ... a little later for those with NFL chops.

Just curious ... what do you guys have lined up this year/ HS/College/Pro ..... and also what are you going to do differently this year than in past years. I think we all want to grow, improve and try new things... if we look at your football portfolio at the end of this season, how will it be different than the year prior?

Aug 07, 2017 at 07:12 PM
PureMichigan
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · American Football: What Are You Doing & Doing Differently?

OK, I'll go first ...

I'm doing 1 HS team and two D2 college teams -- home games only for all. With the few conflicts between those schedules I have about ~15 games on the calendar.

I'm going to do two things differently.

1) I'm really going to fill the frame this year. Pack it. 85% of the photos I take are viewed on mobile devices. I'm going to take pictures that work well in that format. I've always said -- and heard others say -- that "you are your most important audience." That's fine. But I'm going to go wide less than in the past years when the larger monitor was the platform norm.

2) Be more "expressive" in Lightroom. There are limits to this in my work for the colleges which want me to operate by photojournalism standards. But for the High School audience, I want take a look at some of the photos and see if there is a way of expressing it a little differently using the tools at my disposal. I'm not talking about overdoing it a la HDR. But filters and more liberal use of vibrance and saturation are the visual norms for that generation/audience. My goal will (impossibly, I suspect) to do this without the work looking as dated as Duran Duran album cover in a decade.

Aug 08, 2017 at 04:08 PM
glort
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · American Football: What Are You Doing & Doing Differently?

PureMichigan wrote:
OK, I'll go first ...

I'm doing 1 HS team and two D2 college teams -- home games only for all. With the few conflicts between those schedules I have about ~15 games on the calendar.

What is your marketing basis for this?
Are you selling on spec or are paid by the teams or each player for the season or is there some other business arrangement to make sure this is worth your while and you get a worthwhile return?

Aug 08, 2017 at 11:10 PM
PureMichigan
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · American Football: What Are You Doing & Doing Differently?

High school is where my kid's go -- I do it as our family's service hours to the school. And my son plays. We sell the pictures and the funds raised goes to the Boosters. If I had a eye toward doing senior and family portraits it would be nice little business. Frankly, I think that's the only way to make "money" shooting HS sports. Just not interested.

Been doing the colleges for 4 and 6 years respectively on a flat-rate per game fee. It's not going to make me rich but they'll take any game I shoot and it gives me some pocket money. I also do work for the game program and a few ad shoots for the more local sponsors. There is a relationship bonus that comes with he gig. For what I make from those the games I can, on good year, rmake again as much shooting for businesses/sponsors and others.

It's clearly not a full-time business. I don't have the time. Nor do I think it's viable in an area of this population density. But in any given year it keeps me in equipment, pays for a little summer vacation and keep me out of trouble. That's all I want from it at this point.

Aug 09, 2017 at 12:24 AM
redman
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · American Football: What Are You Doing & Doing Differently?

HS Football every Friday Night (Some Thursday Nights) for the newspaper (The Clarion Ledger). I cover Belhaven University, a NCAA D3 school here locally. I also do all their team and individuals for all sports so that keeps me busy with them. I will also cover East MS Community College 4-5 times this year. This is the Last Chance U school on Netflix.

What am I doing differently you ask? I'm scaling back my NCAA D1 (SEC-Mississippi State) work this year. It's become such hard work for the tiny bit of money received from it. I'd rather cover another local smaller college which is what I'm going to work towards. I'll shoot the Bulldogs a couple of times but that's it.

Aug 10, 2017 at 10:44 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password