New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Yongnuo Advice?

LinuxHack3r
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Yongnuo Advice?

Currently I own a Canon 430 EX III and Canon 600 EX RT. I occasionally use them for portraits, product imaging (eBay, etc), and anything else you could use a flash for!

However, I just noticed in the Buy-Sell that someone is selling two Yongnuos. I've always been interested in them. One thing that my current setup does not allow is to use both flashes externally (one has to serve as master on the camera). I know they make different radio triggers and the like, I just haven't splurged and bought one.

However, I've read of people selling one or two of their Canon flashes, buying 2-4 Yongnuo flashes, and still having money leftover!

First, my flashes. What are they worth? I figure $200 for the 430 EX III and maybe $300 for the 600 EX RT. That's a budget of basically $500 if I were to sell them (please, correct my estimates if you feel I am wrong). I just found Yongnuo 560 IV for about $60 on Amazon. I could buy 3 of those for under $200, pickup a transmitter for $30-$70 probably, and still have about $200 left over!

I think I'd be losing TTL, which I could probably care less about having (I think). In a setup like this, could anything be controllable via the camera/transmitter or would each flash have to be set manually by hand? I know that typically the Yongnuos are not considered as high quality, but having a few extra on hand coupled with the fact that I'm never at any point in time really doing anything critical at this point makes me think I could easily live with the potential for one failing.

I seem to think many photographers that are less hooked on branding and moreso on technique all seem to love the Yongnuos. In all honestly I would sort of love to try selling my two flashes, buying something along the lines of what I listed, and still having a bit of cash on hand. But, there are so, so many of the Yongnuos and then there are many different options for transmitters, I'm curious to see what you have to suggest and why!

Aug 07, 2017 at 03:08 PM
LinuxHack3r
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Yongnuo Advice?

And, if it isn't apparent by my first post, I'm very interested in what I would be gaining and what I would be losing by doing so. I'm thinking overall positives and negatives to me switching.

Truth be told, I've simply picked up the two flashes I have over the years when I've found screaming good deals.

Aug 07, 2017 at 03:13 PM
PhotoTeacher
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Yongnuo Advice?

If you lose TTL, then you will have to do test shots for each situation you are shooting in order to get the flash output needed for the correct exposure. For static shots, and controlled portraiture this may not a big problem, but for changing photo situations (if that is something that you encounter) it can become a problem. Depends on your shooting situations.

Don't the flashes you use now have TTL, and are you using it? Are you using both together, and if so, you must have found a way to trigger both of them.

To see if you can live without TTL, try putting your current flashes into manual mode, and see how you like having to check exposure.

Aug 07, 2017 at 04:38 PM
LinuxHack3r
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Yongnuo Advice?

PhotoTeacher wrote:
If you lose TTL, then you will have to do test shots for each situation you are shooting in order to get the flash output needed for the correct exposure. For static shots, and controlled portraiture this may not a big problem, but for changing photo situations (if that is something that you encounter) it can become a problem. Depends on your shooting situations.

Don't the flashes you use now have TTL, and are you using it? Are you using both together, and if so, you must have found a way to trigger both of them.

To see if you can
...Show more

I've messed with TTL a bit, but I typically have thrown it into M. Honestly, I haven't much used this particular setup much. I used to have a 430 EX II and ST-E2 Transmitter. It worked great inside. Then I found the 600 EX RT on Craigslist in an awesome package deal. The first time I tried using the ST-E2 outside at night I was immediately disappointing. The optical triggering just doesn't hold up outside. It was at this point I sold the ST-E2 and 430 EX II and replaced it with the EX III since it supports wireless.

I only trigger one now, using the other as an on camera flash and trigger at the same time. It was considering getting a trigger that made me wonder if I could have a more optimal setup with cheaper gear.

Aug 07, 2017 at 04:58 PM
LinuxHack3r
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Yongnuo Advice?

Perhaps I need to mess with TTL more to decide if it is something that I like/need.

Aug 07, 2017 at 04:58 PM
LinuxHack3r
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Yongnuo Advice?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=582&v=v90OUujRntU

After watching this video, I think I am more interested in doing so. My current thought is that I may sell one of the Canon Speedlites and then purchase 3 + Transmitter for the Yongnuos. Then I have a Canon TTL flash with AF Infrared beam if I want it and enough Yongnuos to play around with.

Aug 07, 2017 at 06:07 PM
Ryukyu
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Yongnuo Advice?

You say you haven't used them much yet. If optical triggering is an issue, you could just keep your flashes and get a pair of Yongnuo YN-622c radio triggers and learn with the flashes that you already own. Then add more later if you feel you need them.
Just a thought.

Aug 07, 2017 at 09:19 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

kv9f68
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Yongnuo Advice?

LinuxHack3r wrote:
Perhaps I need to mess with TTL more to decide if it is something that I like/need.

If you want TTL should be a major consideration in which Yongnuo model to get because if you do go the 560 route and then find out you want TTL you're back to square one with having to sell those and pick up say a 685 model (which I have and like). You can do like you said and keep a Canon for the TTL mode, but if you're using the
Canon and a 560 in a multi-lighing environment you'd still have to balance out the 560's manually.

Another consideration is HSS which the 560 doesn't have. Again, you'd have to decide if that's a feature you'd want or use.

Kevin

Aug 12, 2017 at 10:51 AM
Kathy Li

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Yongnuo Advice?

LinuxHack3r wrote:
... I just found Yongnuo 560 IV for about $60 on Amazon. I could buy 3 of those for under $200, pickup a transmitter for $30-$70 probably, and still have about $200 left over!

I think I'd be losing TTL, which I could probably care less about having (I think). In a setup like this, could anything be controllable via the camera/transmitter or would each flash have to be set manually by hand? I know that typically the Yongnuos are not considered as high quality, but having a few extra on hand coupled with the fact that I'm never at any
...Show more

The YN-560III/IV/-660 + YN-560-TX combination allows for remote power control as well as sync. That's it. No TTL, no HSS, no 2nd curtain, no power/zoom control, no camera menu control over the flashes. And you have to use the -TX dedicated transmitter on the hotshoe for this (or a YN-560IV/YN-660), so consider whether you want on-camera fill, and whether that fill needs to be TTL or not.

If you want HSS, TTL, 2nd curtain, etc. etc. then you need to either use Yongnuo's -RT clone gear, or their 622 triggering system. Which are, of course, more expensive. If you try to use the 622 system in concert with 560 gear, you basically can't use the TTL/HSS capabilities of the 622 gear, and there's no RF master speedlight in the 622 system, so you can't have on-camera fill at all.

Most of us, today, would probably say that Yongnuo were yesterday's recommendation (hence the fact that you'll see so many used ones popping up at the moment) as we're mostly all moving to Godox's X system, where TTL/HSS gear plays together nicely with manual-only gear; the manual-only gear gives you HSS; the triggering system covers Sony, MFT, and Fuji X as well as Canon/Nikon and autoswitches nicely among all five systems; and where you have options to upgrade to bigger-than-speedlight options, both battery-powered and corded, TTL and manual-with-HSS.

Like Yongnuo, Godox is in Shenzhen China, and makes really low-cost gear that's good for hobbyist usage, but possibly not so great for hard pro pounding. Unlike Yongnuo, Adorama has a deal with Godox to rebrand their X stuff as Flashpoint R2 system gear, so if you need warranty service, you can deal with (and ship to) Adorama in NYC, instead of Godox in Shenzhen China.

The only real advantages to Yongnuo at this time are a slightly nicer UI, and better compatibility with Canon gear, particularly the 622 triggers offering Gr mode with pre-2012 bodies; and all those nice extra -RT features (Id codes, shutter release via flash hotshoe, etc.) But for the bread'n'butter features of off-camera flash, Godox delivers in spades, particularly if you shoot mirrorless as well as dSLR or plan to move to mirrorless in the future.

Aug 13, 2017 at 02:03 AM
clonardo
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Yongnuo Advice?

I have 3 of the Yongnuo RT flashes (the 600EX RT's) and the YN-E3-RT transmitter. I couldn't see going with a non-radio wireless flash system at this point. As much as people speak in negative terms about the Yongnuo quality, as long as you're not hammering nails with them, they're fine. As a system, they've been nothing short of excellent for me, through months of use. There are some minor issues integrating with other third-party flashes (like the Orlit 610's sold by Adorama), but everything works fine with the Orlit transmitter.

In retrospect, I'd probably go with the Godox R2 system at this point. Especially for your needs, Godox (sold as Flashpoint by Adorama in the US) has some really interesting gear. Here's their whole R2 lineup, and it has some pretty great breadth: https://www.adorama.com/searchsite/default.aspx?searchinfo=flashpoint+r2 . When you consider that you can get a wireless (non-TTL) studio strobe by a well-regarded brand for $120 ( https://www.adorama.com/fplfs300b.html ), and have it play nicely with a whole range of radio triggered gear (including some nice, inexpensive speedlights with lithium batteries), you have to wonder about the premium on the official Canon RT flashes.

Aug 13, 2017 at 04:53 AM
LinuxHack3r
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Yongnuo Advice?

I decided that since I already have the 430 EX III as well as 600 EX RT, I purchased the ST-E3-RT. At some point I may consider swapping all of it to a Flashpoint/Godox, but since what I have is already paid for I may just keep it.

Thanks everyone!

Aug 18, 2017 at 11:26 AM
cheem
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Yongnuo Advice?

One thing you could consider is getting the X1R-C flash receivers if you went the Godox route at some point, they work well with my 580EXIIs and preserves your investment in the native Canon flash system. I went Godox for my Fuji setup and converted my YN-622 and YN-685 to Godox for cross system compatibility.

Aug 18, 2017 at 07:59 PM
KatManDEW

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Yongnuo Advice?

LinuxHack3r wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=582&v=v90OUujRntU

After watching this video, I think I am more interested in doing so. My current thought is that I may sell one of the Canon Speedlites and then purchase 3 + Transmitter for the Yongnuos. Then I have a Canon TTL flash with AF Infrared beam if I want it and enough Yongnuos to play around with.

I trigger multiple Yongnuos with a ST-E2.

Sep 05, 2017 at 10:24 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password