Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

What are "Grey Market" GH5's?

sodabiscuit123

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What are "Grey Market" GH5's?

I'm seeing new GH5's selling for $100-150 less than authorized dealers and wondering what they are?

Would I be limited with shooting modes in North America?

thanks

Aug 07, 2017 at 01:05 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What are "Grey Market" GH5's?

Gray market cameras are cameras that a photo retailer buys off a distributor from outside the country i.e. bypassing Panasonic USA, usually from Japan, I believe. This means there is no US warranty but the store usually covers the warranty for a year although who's actually doing the repair or service I don't know - possibly the store's in-house repair division. And I do not know if Panasonic USA will accept out-of-warranty gray market cameras for repairs. You will have to call Panasonic directly to find out. Aside from that the camera is exactly the same as any camera with a US warranty. I believe all the major mail order photo stores carry gray-market cameras as they can offer these cameras at a slightly lower price.

Aug 08, 2017 at 02:37 PM
millsart
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What are "Grey Market" GH5's?

Many panasonic camera's have locked region settings for video, so if you get a camera that is PAL 25/50p, and want to NTSC 24/30/60p, your out of luck.

There is a way to enter "service mode" with some models, which lets you unlock the settings, but its something to consider at the very least.

Most folks buy a GH5 for its video capability and have a $1800 video camera that can't shoot at the correct FPS settings for your region surely is not a better deal than a $1999 camera that can

Aug 08, 2017 at 10:38 PM

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password