New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

end

Sites with good writing about photography

PhilthePhrame

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Sites with good writing about photography

Luminous Landscape has had a lot of fans, but the ownership has changed and a pay wall (($1.00 / mo.) has gone up.

Are there still fans of LL?

Aug 23, 2017 at 05:15 PM
Pinthura

p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Sites with good writing about photography

I have found photographylife.com to be useful. However, I sense a pull towards Nikon, if that matters.

Aug 24, 2017 at 01:34 AM
Betacamman
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Sites with good writing about photography

PhilthePhrame wrote:
Luminous Landscape has had a lot of fans, but the ownership has changed and a pay wall (($1.00 / mo.) has gone up.

I still enjoy it, and am happy to pay the small fee for it.

Aug 24, 2017 at 01:50 AM
chez
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Sites with good writing about photography

PhilthePhrame wrote:

I frequent the site and enjoy the articles. Buck a month is well worth it. Many very talented and photogs on that site that are very willing to share their knowledge. Learned more about printing from Lulu than all other sites combined.

Aug 24, 2017 at 06:20 AM
rdeloe
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Sites with good writing about photography

Thanks for the lead Bernie. I wasn't aware of this site. The publisher/author makes it hard for people to be aware of the site because everything is under lock and key! I took a chance and bought a one year subscription. So far I'm finding it's good value. I went with the "Extended Computer Edition" (which is a PDF version of the magazine along with access to all the other content).

Bernie wrote:
When you're ready to leave the hardware behind and think about the art of photography:

http://www.lensworkonline.com/

Aug 27, 2017 at 02:02 AM
rdeloe
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Sites with good writing about photography

If you're into black and white, another interesting read is Adore Noire (http://www.adorenoir.com/). It's a "magazine", but unlike Lenswork, which comes as a paper magazine or a PDF version, Adore Noire is only in PDF format. This keeps the cost way down.

It's definitely more artsy than your usual photography site, but for not a lot of money you can get a really wide-ranging survey of what people are doing with black and white. There seems to be a mixture of photographers working with film, digital and hybrids. Each issue profiles photographers with samples of their work, and interviews.

Aug 27, 2017 at 02:04 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

OwlsEyes
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Sites with good writing about photography

If you like wildlife photography check out the gallery links at www.naturalart.ca While Brad is known for his ultra thorough review of Nikon & Sigma products, he is a talented photographer too. By clicking a thumbnail in the gallery, you can hit one of three tabs for each picture: "Behind the Camera" "In the Fiel" & "At the Computer"... or something like this. Each tab is a thorough discussion about the process behind making an image.

Aug 27, 2017 at 02:26 AM
rdeloe
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Sites with good writing about photography

A couple more...

British Journal of Photography. http://www.bjp-online.com/
It's free and has interesting new work, not just from British photographers.

Guy Tal's blog. https://guytal.com/wordpress/category/thoughts-and-musings/
Guy is a landscape photographer based in Utah. He's a thoughtful fellow and writes about photography, the creative process, etc. Don't come looking for gear-related articles because you won't find any.

Oct 06, 2017 at 01:13 PM
Bob49

p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Sites with good writing about photography

Many thanks for addressing this important and interesting topic.

These books have provided me with useful, but often theoretical, insights into photography:

Susan Sontag, On Photography (Picador 1977)
Robert Adams, Why People Photograph (Aperture 1994)
Geoff Dyer, The Ongoing Moment (Vintage 2007)
Henri Cartier-Bresson, Interviews and Conversations 1951-1998 (Aperture - original publication Centre Pompidou 2013)

These are not technical, gear-related manuals. They sometimes say controversial things about aspects of photography, but in general they have helped me work through why I feel compelled to photograph. And they made interesting reading. They are relatively theoretical.

Oct 10, 2017 at 03:07 PM
takomaru

p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Sites with good writing about photography

SAM Slovenia Art Magazine
http://www.sam-magazine.sk/en

DOFOTO Documentary Fotography & International contest entries
http://www.dofoto.sk/en/

Both on top of the foodchain for inspired artist's works; SAM'S English version, terrific source for photographic art away from mainstream publications, no longer produced but archive issues available.

The Forest Magazine, also amazing articles and interviews
http://www.theforestmagazine.com/

Oct 10, 2017 at 04:43 PM
rdeloe
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Sites with good writing about photography

That's the second recommendation for Sontag's On Photography in this thread!. I'll take that as a sign it's time to read it.

Some others I can also recommend along these lines are the following:

* Art and Fear by David Bayles and Ted Orlando and On Being a Photographer by David Hurn.
* I'm currently reading Brooks Jensen's The Creative Life in Photography. It's down to earth and thus won't be on the reading list in a MFA program, which is why I'm enjoying it

Bob49 wrote:
Many thanks for addressing this important and interesting topic.

These books have provided me with useful, but often theoretical, insights into photography:

Susan Sontag, On Photography (Picador 1977)
Robert Adams, Why People Photograph (Aperture 1994)
Geoff Dyer, The Ongoing Moment (Vintage 2007)
Henri Cartier-Bresson, Interviews and Conversations 1951-1998 (Aperture - original publication Centre Pompidou 2013)

These are not technical, gear-related manuals. They sometimes say controversial things about aspects of photography, but in general they have helped me work through why I feel compelled to photograph. And they made interesting reading. They are relatively theoretical.

Oct 11, 2017 at 01:16 PM
       end

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password