New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2017 · 16-35GM lens hood

Viramati
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 16-35GM lens hood

I have found that the lens hood on my !6-35GM doesn't lock into place when mounted with a positive click and you don't need to press the release button to remove it. When the hood is reversed in it's storage position it locks securely in place and you need to press the button to remove it. I have seen of owners of the lens saying the same thing so I am wondering if this is the case with all copies the lenshood. The hood on my 24-70 GM locks very positively into position either when mounted for use or in the storage position. I am wondering if there is a design/production fault here so would be interested in feedback from other owners and am thinking that I might contact Sony as I can't believe that it meant to operate in this way. It has been like this since I tried the lens out in the store when buying it so it is nothing that I have done to damage it.

Aug 06, 2017 at 04:44 AM
coxma

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 16-35GM lens hood

I received mine in the US and am experiencing the same thing about half the time when I install the hood, other half of the time it will stay locked until depressing the button. It seems like a manufacturing tolerancing issue with the latch on the hood. It's possible it will get better with more use, time will tell.

Matt Cox
Littleton, CO

Aug 06, 2017 at 10:27 AM
Douglas L
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 16-35GM lens hood

Same here.

Aug 06, 2017 at 12:12 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 16-35GM lens hood

kdrk888 wrote:
Same here.

Some copies of the 16-35/4 ZA and 24-70GM I tried had similar 'rattling' hood as you described. I think it's manufacturing tolerance.

Aug 06, 2017 at 12:17 PM
Viramati
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 16-35GM lens hood

Fred Miranda wrote:
Some copies of the 16-35/4 ZA and 24-70GM I tried had similar 'rattling' hood as you described. I think it's manufacturing tolerance.

I'm not sure that I would call it 'tolerance' as it doesn't rattle in any way but it just doesn't really click in positively and you certainly don't need the button to release it. On my 24-70GM there is no way you can remove the hood unless you depress the release button. I'm not a great user of lens hood on ultra-wides but I do feel that this is not right especially as others seem to be reporting the same thing

Aug 06, 2017 at 12:24 PM
Viramati
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 16-35GM lens hood

IF we get a pretty uniform pattern on this I will try to contact Sony about it

Aug 06, 2017 at 12:25 PM
pleaseshoot
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 16-35GM lens hood

Mine clicks and locks with no rattling. I need to press the button to twist and remove it.
I would call Sony an get them to fix the mechanism.

Aug 10, 2017 at 08:21 AM
Wanny
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 16-35GM lens hood

Mine stays locked in place with no rattling. I even tried shaking it pretty hard

Aug 10, 2017 at 08:48 AM
Viramati
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 16-35GM lens hood

Thanks for the replies

Aug 10, 2017 at 11:27 AM
Mirror
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 16-35GM lens hood

Mine is rattling... Viramati, are you waiting for a reply from Sony in this matter?

Aug 10, 2017 at 12:19 PM
Viramati
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 16-35GM lens hood

I contacted them this evening and need to contact the service centre in Wales tomorrow. It's not that mine rattles it just doesn't 'lock' into place

Aug 10, 2017 at 12:30 PM
Mirror
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 16-35GM lens hood

Yes, mine does also not lock into place.

Aug 10, 2017 at 01:33 PM
Mirror
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 16-35GM lens hood

Sony asked me to send in the lens and hood but I do not want to ship both units because of this problem. Will try to get the hood replaced..

Aug 11, 2017 at 08:01 AM
Viramati
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 16-35GM lens hood

Mirror wrote:
Sony asked me to send in the lens and hood but I do not want to ship both units because of this problem. Will try to get the hood replaced..

Same with me. No way I'm sending the lens in as well. I have contacted my dealer who said to send him a link to this thread so that he can send it to the Sony rep. I'm waiting to get some more feedback on the isssue before doing this

Aug 11, 2017 at 09:22 AM
sidaths

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 16-35GM lens hood

Mine clicks into place and requires the button to be pressed to remove it, but it wobbles around quite a bit, enough that it's starting to bug me.

When I reverse the hood for storage, it clicks in and seems more stable. My 85GM hood is far, far better.

Thanks to those contacting Sony on our behalf!

Aug 11, 2017 at 10:03 AM
pleaseshoot
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 16-35GM lens hood

Just saw this and thought I would share.

Lens hood - no good.

Aug 11, 2017 at 10:28 AM
pleaseshoot
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 16-35GM lens hood

For those of you who have the issue try putting the hood on the opposite way and see if that's any better.
So the "Sony" should be at the bottom and "ALC-SH149" is at the top @ the red indicator.

Aug 11, 2017 at 11:44 AM
Mirror
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 16-35GM lens hood

pleaseshoot wrote:
For those of you who have the issue try putting the hood on the opposite way and see if that's any better.
So the "Sony" should be at the bottom and "ALC-SH149" is at the top @ the red indicator.

When my brand new front wheels have a problem I will not try them in the back

Aug 11, 2017 at 11:51 AM
Viramati
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 16-35GM lens hood

pleaseshoot wrote:

That is even worse and it doesn't even click into position. As I said in my original post it locks into position when in the storage mode (reversed)

Aug 11, 2017 at 12:08 PM
pleaseshoot
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 16-35GM lens hood

Mirror wrote:
When my brand new front wheels have a problem I will not try them in the back

This definitely does not apply in any way to the wheels on your car. The reason I suggested this is because the connection feels a bit stiffer on mine when installed the opposite way. Both ways lock for me but the alternate has less play if you try and wiggle the hood.

Aug 11, 2017 at 01:12 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.