New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Help with FL-900R and Auto ISO

birdied
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Help with FL-900R and Auto ISO

I'll start by admitting that flash is not second nature to me. I recently switched from Nikon to the Olympus EM 1 Mk2.

I used high sync fill flash with Nikon .

I mainly do wildlife and birds , using a MagMod Flash Extender. I use the FP TTL as most times I am shooting in changing light between shadows and sun. Since the lighting will change , I have been shooting in Manual mode, but using Auto ISO. This worked well for me in the past , as I could set the shutter and aperture I wanted and let the ISO float. That method still works well until I put the flash on and use auto ISO.

I have having some difficulty getting good results with the FL-900R and FP TTL using auto ISO. I am finding that when using Auto ISO, the ISO is dropping to 64 despite the shutter speed or the lack of light. This is the exact opposite of Nikon, that would bump up the auto ISO when using the flash. I am getting lots of shots that the background is totally black or the subject is almost black. If I set the ISO manually , and not use the auto ISO, it works much better.

What am I doing wrong or not understanding ?

Birdie

Aug 06, 2017 at 05:02 AM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Help with FL-900R and Auto ISO

I am not familiar and I don't even like Olympus flashes as they are not user-friendly or intuitive. So I don't really know what's causing the flash to under-expose, but have you tried using the high-speed sync with auto exposure and shutter-speed priority i.e. fixed shutter speed and allowing the aperture and ISO to float?

If that doesn't work as well try speaking with an Olympus Tech. Meanwhile I will check to see if my Nissin i60 will work in manual mode with high-speed sync, and I will report back.

You may also want to post this question on DP Review and/or m43 Forum as there are many more m43 users there.

Aug 06, 2017 at 12:49 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Help with FL-900R and Auto ISO

Thanks Bobby, appreciate it. I have tried in manual mode as the is how I normally shoot. I will try with shutter priority and see what happens.

If you get the opportunity , what is the recycle time with the Nissin. I find the recycle time a bit slow on the Olympus compared to the Nikon flash

Thanks

Birdie

Aug 06, 2017 at 01:37 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Help with FL-900R and Auto ISO

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1236472-REG/nissin_nd60a_ft_i60a_flash_for_micro.html?sts=pi

0.1 - 5.5 seconds depending on battery type and condition and, more importantly, on how much power is being used. In fill flash mode and depending on the distance, I can shoot in low sequential mode.

Recycled lithium batteries will give you the fastest recycling times. A lot of factors come into play and they all affect the recycling time in varying degrees.

birdied wrote:
Thanks Bobby, appreciate it. I have tried in manual mode as the is how I normally shoot. I will try with shutter priority and see what happens.

If you get the opportunity , what is the recycle time with the Nissin. I find the recycle time a bit slow on the Olympus compared to the Nikon flash

Thanks

Birdie

Aug 06, 2017 at 09:25 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Help with FL-900R and Auto ISO

bobbytan wrote:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1236472-REG/nissin_nd60a_ft_i60a_flash_for_micro.html?sts=pi

0.1 - 5.5 seconds depending on battery type and condition and, more importantly, on how much power is being used. In fill flash mode and depending on the distance, I can shoot in low sequential mode.

Recycled lithium batteries will give you the fastest recycling times. A lot of factors come into play and they all affect the recycling time in varying degrees.

Thanks Bobby ! I am using the Envelop lithium rechargeable batteries. There are times that the shutter button will not work while it waits for the flash to recycle. I did try with the shutter priority mode today and still getting underexposed shots.

Birdie

Aug 06, 2017 at 10:38 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Help with FL-900R and Auto ISO

High speed sync with flash doesn't seem to work on my Nissin flash either - not in TTL or Auto - but I think it works in complete manual mode i.e. you have to set the shutter speed, aperture and ISO all manually.

birdied wrote:
Thanks Bobby ! I am using the Envelop lithium rechargeable batteries. There are times that the shutter button will not work while it waits for the flash to recycle. I did try with the shutter priority mode today and still getting underexposed shots.

Birdie

Aug 06, 2017 at 11:34 PM

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password