New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Dissenting view of the X100F

Steve Wan
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Dissenting view of the X100F

A long time Fuji X user, I decided to purchase an X100F. Here are my observations. Because I value their compact bodies, I currently shoot with a pair of X-E2's. I find them almost weightless to the point that I can carry them both with a lens attached to eliminate the need for clumsy lens changes in the field. But I was wooed by the promises of the X100F and so purchased one not long ago.

The F it turns out has increased in size over previous models to the point that next to my XE's it was noted to be almost exactly the same volume. Weight exceeded that of the XE also. With the Fuji 27mm mounted on the XE it was actually smaller, thinner, and lighter than the X100F. And the 27mm is no slouch in comparison to the X100's 23.

If you want to shoot with a single lens, with the XE you have freedom to choose for any particular need on different days the 18, 23, or 27 and still keep the package small and discrete. I would also suspect these size comparisons would hold with the svelte XT20.

In addition:

1. The ISO dial is a cruel joke. Hard to change values quickly, and worse yet the printing is so small as to be laughable!
2. Too many unmarked buttons, and dials. You just can't pick up this camera and use it. If you weren't the one to program all these buttons and then take the time to memorize where they are you have no hope of success.
3. This camera seems to be designed for automatic use because besides the difficulty in changing ISO the aperture dial is very close to the body and difficult to get a hold of without bringing the camera away from your eye. In gloves it would be impossible.

Aug 06, 2017 at 02:21 AM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Dissenting view of the X100F

Sounds like its the wrong camera for you...

You seem to value the ability to change lens to suit your needs, obviously something the X100 series doesn't offer and that I would imagine you realized before buying ?

The ISO dial isn't ideal, however, the camera does have 3 auto-ISO settings which you can program to easily switch between, giving you options like a slower shutter speed to keep the ISO low for static scenes, and a higher ISO/SS setting for when you want to freeze action etc.

I can't really understand a complaint that a camera is too customizable though? Yeah you can't just pick it up and use it, you have to learn it, its a $1300 camera, not a point and shoot, but you can make it work just the way you want if you program it.

Sure, if you weren't the one to program it you might be confused at what settings are where, BUT..... how many people are you sharing this camera with ? If its your camera I'd assume the settings YOU chose would remain the way you set them, no ?

See point one regarding the auto-ISO settings....

Again though, if your happy with your XE2's, why change ? No point sinking $1300 in something you don't enjoy shooting, return or sell it, get your money back and enjoy the XE2's and the extra cash in your pocket

Aug 06, 2017 at 03:15 AM
Steve Wan
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Dissenting view of the X100F

Well the idea was to use the X100 when I just wanted to take one body for casual documentation, not to replace the XE's. But the operating system is so different that it makes more sense for me to just put the 27mm on an XE and go with that. Especially since the X100 isn't any easier to pack.

Aug 06, 2017 at 04:08 AM
charles.K
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Dissenting view of the X100F

Yes it seems the X100F is not suited. My wife Marisa loves the X100F. With respect to the ISO dial just change it to the front dial and adjust it quickly. No issue if you do not like the ISO implementation.

I also love using the XF 18 and 27 on the XT2. Another great light to go setup

Aug 06, 2017 at 09:44 AM
lexvo
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Dissenting view of the X100F

Yes, I choose to buy the 27mm for my X-T1/2 over buying an X100x for these reasons:
- size doesn't difference that much
- I keep the same dial configuration

Aug 06, 2017 at 12:07 PM
Steve Wan
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Dissenting view of the X100F

Oh, and just to add to the list of minor annoyances, what's up with that beauty ring on the front of the lens? After 4 iterations of the camera why does it still have a ridiculous reverse thread? You need to buy an adapter just to put a filter or lens shade on the camera, come on.

Aug 06, 2017 at 02:06 PM
akin_t
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Dissenting view of the X100F

Perhaps it's just me, but I think the X100 series of cameras are the most overrated on the market.

As you mentioned, there's zero size advantage if we're being honest. If I cannot put it in my pocket then what's the point?

Furthermore, it simply doesn't do anything better than the other ILCs in Fuji's lineup. Sure it has a built-in ND, it has a leaf shutter, but those are such edge cases that don't pop up very often for 90% of shooting.

Aug 06, 2017 at 02:17 PM
George Orwell
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Dissenting view of the X100F

Steve Wan wrote:
Oh, and just to add to the list of minor annoyances, what's up with that beauty ring on the front of the lens? After 4 iterations of the camera why does it still have a ridiculous reverse thread? You need to buy an adapter just to put a filter or lens shade on the camera, come on.

I truly loathe that part of the design. I used to use my X100 with the wide angle adapter and had to constantly remove that dumb ring, over and over and over again. Hard to imagine a more horrible design to the front of that lens.

Aug 06, 2017 at 02:25 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Dissenting view of the X100F

akin_t wrote:
Perhaps it's just me, but I think the X100 series of cameras are the most overrated on the market.

As you mentioned, there's zero size advantage if we're being honest. If I cannot put it in my pocket then what's the point?

Furthermore, it simply doesn't do anything better than the other ILCs in Fuji's lineup. Sure it has a built-in ND, it has a leaf shutter, but those are such edge cases that don't pop up very often for 90% of shooting.

So something that isn't important to you for 90% of your shooting means that it's not important for anyone else

Being able to utilize that leaf shutter to allow syncing a flash at 1/2000, giving the ability to overpower the sun, not to mention excellent fill ability makes the camera worth owning for that use alone for some folks.

Also didn't realize what can or can't fit into your is the universal scale of a camera having "a point".....

Good lord people have become fickle and narrow minded these days. No, every camera that is made aren't all going to appeal to us, just as I'm sure cameras we do like don't appeal to someone else, but where is the problem in that ?

Instead of worrying about what the point of something we don't like is, even though plenty of folks really enjoy it, we should simply be glad that there are other options that do work for us.

I miss the good old days of the "alt forum" sometimes, as it seems the dedicated boards have made this place feel a bit closer to DPR in a lot of threads

Aug 06, 2017 at 03:26 PM
Steve Wan
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Dissenting view of the X100F

millsart wrote:
So something that isn't important to you for 90% of your shooting means that it's not important for anyone else

Being able to utilize that leaf shutter to allow syncing a flash at 1/2000, giving the ability to overpower the sun, not to mention excellent fill ability makes the camera worth owning for that use alone for some folks.

Also didn't realize what can or can't fit into your is the universal scale of a camera having "a point".....

Good lord people have become fickle and narrow minded these days. No, every camera that is made aren't all going to appeal to
...Show more

Wow! A bit sensitive aren't we? The man was giving his opinion not suggesting everyone should feel the same. Sounds like you are the one who wants to censor opinions different from your own.

Aug 06, 2017 at 04:00 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jigesh
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Dissenting view of the X100F

All views are obviously individual opinions. I appreciate dissenting opinions - thank you for posting.

Let's not be of Type 25: https://photographylife.com/types-of-photographers#more-147361

Aug 06, 2017 at 04:11 PM
charles.K
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Dissenting view of the X100F

jigesh wrote:
All views are obviously individual opinions. I appreciate dissenting opinions - thank you for posting.

Let's not be of Type 25: https://photographylife.com/types-of-photographers#more-147361

It is great to have a variety of opinions but we don't want Type 40 either

Aug 06, 2017 at 05:03 PM
Alanu
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Dissenting view of the X100F

I echo Steve's critique on the fixed lens body. Interesting I personally never see x100 users using flash when outdoors taking advantage of the leaf shutter to overcome the sun. The rage in the first gen x100 was for cool retro small package when mirrored bodies dominated the photography world. Just so happens the x100 has improved with technology but the XT20 or xt10 never existed many years ago.

Fuji is already a small light system so I see the XT20 more versatile with little limitations. That is the modern day solution of smaller form factor with interchangeable lenses.

Each to their own really......

Aug 06, 2017 at 05:25 PM
gaopa
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Dissenting view of the X100F

In addition to three other Fuji cameras, an X-E2/23/2, X-T2/18-55 and X-Pro2/23/1.4, I have the X-!00F and LOVE it! For a grab and go camera that I know will give me excellent results and still fly under the radar when out shooting, I don't think I can beat either the X-100F or the X-E2.

Aug 06, 2017 at 07:45 PM
George Orwell
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Dissenting view of the X100F

Alanu wrote:
I echo Steve's critique on the fixed lens body. Interesting I personally never see x100 users using flash when outdoors taking advantage of the leaf shutter to overcome the sun. The rage in the first gen x100 was for cool retro small package when mirrored bodies dominated the photography world. Just so happens the x100 has improved with technology but the XT20 or xt10 never existed many years ago.

Fuji is already a small light system so I see the XT20 more versatile with little limitations. That is the modern day solution of smaller form factor with interchangeable lenses.

Each to
...Show more

I shot many years with an X10, using attached external flash along with a Canon diopter lens to do some really nice macro. There the leaf shutter worked wonders.

Aug 06, 2017 at 08:26 PM
George Orwell
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Dissenting view of the X100F

millsart wrote:
[

I miss the good old days of the "alt forum" sometimes, as it seems the dedicated boards have made this place feel a bit closer to DPR in a lot of threads

Bang. On. 100% brilliant observation.

Dedicated boards breed a nauseating amount of fan boyism, with Fuji far surpassing anything seen at the other boards. This is due most likely because Fujifilm is dead last in market share, way behind Canon, Nikon, Sony, and u4/3rds.

Aug 06, 2017 at 08:28 PM
Alanu
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Dissenting view of the X100F

George Orwell wrote:
I shot many years with an X10, using attached external flash along with a Canon diopter lens to do some really nice macro. There the leaf shutter worked wonders.

I've always thought the whole intent of fuji X100 owners were using that setup for quick/grab camera more for pleasure.

The retro look of the X100 provides a eye pleasing camera and small form factor application. Seems majority of serious photographers will have a flash mounted on their Nikon's and Canon's. It almost appears an extremely high percentage of Fuji shooters don't even own a flash. In fact I've never seen a fuji shooter mounting an external flash on a fuji X100 body. Is flash commonly used in X100 users??

Aug 07, 2017 at 03:34 AM
charles.K
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Dissenting view of the X100F

Having the ability to use an off camera flash with any camera system is a true strength of controlling your lighting. The flash can be very subtle and changes the look completely. The flash systems available now are very capable and they do not need to be large. I have been using a X100F alongside my D810 and using RoboShoot I can use the same Nikon flashes SB 910. As mentioned using the X100F outdoors for fill in or in manual exposure with the leaf shutter makes it very easy.

Aug 07, 2017 at 09:16 AM
pw-pix
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Dissenting view of the X100F

I wanted to like the X100F, it seemed like a good package. I've been looking for a smaller RF style body to use with small primes such as 24, 35 and 50mm equivalent focal length, so I decided to include the X100F in my research and testing.
But am I the only one who finds it hard to use the control wheels?
My finger and thumb slip easily on the fine and rounded knurling, I found it hard to make easy adjustments. It also felt like they were too flush with the body and didn't stick out enough for easy finding and use by touch. I normally use Nikon D3s and D800E bodies and have large hands.

I felt that the X Pro 2 had a similar issue for me, difficult to use the control wheels.
The Olympus Pen F seemed easier to get along with as far as control placement and operation (unfortunately it seemed harder to get a quality file out of compared to the Fuji bodies).

Edited on Aug 08, 2017 at 10:37 PM · View previous versions

Aug 08, 2017 at 09:36 AM
Mike Tuomey
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Dissenting view of the X100F

George Orwell wrote:
Bang. On. 100% brilliant observation.

Dedicated boards breed a nauseating amount of fan boyism, with Fuji far surpassing anything seen at the other boards. This is due most likely because Fujifilm is dead last in market share, way behind Canon, Nikon, Sony, and u4/3rds.

Which might be one reason to support them - the specific boards isolate a fair amount of the problem. You can avoid the specific boards you don't like (e.g. Fuji, since it seems to bother you) and thus not wade through posts that you find objectionable. If your brand of choice or interest breeds fan-boyism, just don't cruise that board.

Aug 08, 2017 at 05:00 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password