Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

New to LR - a little help with first import - pleeeze.

surfnron
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New to LR - a little help with first import - pleeeze.

That was a Homer Simpson please.

I took Kelby's course on LR two weeks ago, but at my age, my memory is shorter than it used to be, (amongst other things.. ). If I remember correctly, I just drag the folders from Bridge to my LR collection on the external hd? Then I make sub collections and drag the folders into the appropriate sub collection.

As I go through the folders I should rename them. And eventually, I should pick and or flag favorites and put them in sub sub collections.

There are seven years worth of photos in my raid 1 Hds. The photos older than that are on a collection of HDs, CDs, and DVDs. I don't think I can get this done in a day...

Does this sound about right? Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanx,
Ron

Aug 06, 2017 at 01:27 AM
Ryukyu
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New to LR - a little help with first import - pleeeze.

The easiest way to do it for me is to create folders on your external drive, copy the files in there, then within LR, click import and at the top of the window, choose Add. This leaves the files in the fokders that you put them in, but adds them to the LR catalog.

For example, I have an external drive called Photos01. On that drive I have folders named after the years. Inside those, I create folders named by date and event. So inside of a folder named 2017, I would have a folder called 2017_06_Caribbean vacation.

Hope that helps.

Aug 06, 2017 at 01:38 AM
marklankton
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · New to LR - a little help with first import - pleeeze.

If you are new to Lightroom and thinking about how best to organize things, the very best thing you can do for yourself is to go to the LuminousLandscape website, join if you are not already a member ($1 per month, sheesh) and watch the set of videos called "Where the *$#! are my pictures?", featuring Seth Resnick and the much-missed Michael Reichman. The videos were made a while ago and use an older version of Lightroom but all of the important principles remain the same. No kidding, this will be worth your time.
Mark

Aug 06, 2017 at 01:50 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · New to LR - a little help with first import - pleeeze.

Thanx all for the suggestions.

Another question: Using LR, how to I create a folder on an external HD that LR will recognise and use?

Aug 06, 2017 at 11:47 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · New to LR - a little help with first import - pleeeze.

surfnron wrote:
Thanx all for the suggestions.

Another question: Using LR, how to I create a folder on an external HD that LR will recognise and use?

does LR 'see' that drive already ?

If yes then you can create the folder by clicking the + in the folders section of LR which brings up explorer/finder and allows you to create the folder .
if the folder already exists then you can browse to it in the same manor .

if LR doesn't list the drive then doing the above should allow LR to 'see' the drive , but it doesn't (I've had LR not see external drives from time to time) you can just put a single image file on the drive and go thru the import process and then LR will lis that drive . (you can delete that imported file afterwards)

Aug 06, 2017 at 01:09 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · New to LR - a little help with first import - pleeeze.

Thanx Ian. It did not see the external, (H), drive, but I got that done with your help. I finally figured out how to import to the external drive. I just place the cursor over the correct folder and right click. One option is to "Import to this folder". That gets it done. And I *only* have seven years worth of photos to import.

Ron

Aug 06, 2017 at 08:20 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password