Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Reikan FoCal - No Target Found - Any Ideas?

EPSI
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Reikan FoCal - No Target Found - Any Ideas?

Does anyone have enough experience with this software to comment on what might be driving my issue?

1. 5D3 with 70-200 2.8L IS II at 200mm
  2. Large (210mm) Reikan target purchased from B&H
  3. Two 150W halogen modeling lamps for lighting
  4. Reikan Target Distance Calculator gives min distance of 19'8" (6m)

At first, due to room layout, etc., the camera was set up between 25-30 feet from target. Lamps were closer to target to maximize light. It's getting late in the day, so there's not a ton of ambient light in the room. On initial startup, I got a warning labeled "TooDark". The target was brightly lit; maybe it matters that the rest of the room was somewhat dark by comparison? I did research for a bit, then decided to continue past that error to see what happened next.

In the Target Setup (I think that's what it's called - first step) I get an error notifying me No Target Was Found. Interestingly, relative to the TooDark error above, the Lighting Level showed a warning of it being too bright due to the shutter speed of 1/8000 being required which is the max of the camera.

Long story of iterations short, I move the lights back and resolve the Lighting Level warning (shutter speed now 1/2000) and move the camera forward to roughly the 19'8". Still, No Target Was Found.

What else am I doing wrong?

Edited on Aug 06, 2017 at 08:23 PM · View previous versions

Aug 06, 2017 at 12:47 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Reikan FoCal - No Target Found - Any Ideas?

That target view looks like what I've had work.
I might try taking down those picture frames on either side and use some clear tape to anchor your target.

Aug 06, 2017 at 01:57 AM
EPSI
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Reikan FoCal - No Target Found - Any Ideas?

Still pretty frustrated. Started again today kept moving to different places along the wall with the most light and that gives me the most working length in the room for longer distances. Wondered if the brick fireplace introduced patterns that confused the test, moved to the little chunk of wall to left of fireplace.

Turned modeling lamps on/off (might get softboxes out next to diffuse the light? seems like a longshot, though). Put regular lamp over there to try that (pictured iteration).

Never a target found. Began to worry I had just received a REALLY crappy copy of the 70-200 and switched it out for my V1. Same result, and I've never had problems with that lens. Haven't tried a shorter lens (given now that I had to use a different wall, it's not so simple to move the camera forward/back along a straight line - now there is furniture in the way...the initial corridor I selected for testing was intentionally open).

I have no idea what could be the issue and troubleshooting information online and in the manuals seems woefully inadequate. I figured it would take a chunk of my time this weekend, but I didn't expect to blow half my weekend and not even get testing started...

Aug 06, 2017 at 08:35 PM
tonyespofoto
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Reikan FoCal - No Target Found - Any Ideas?

I would urge you to email Reikan. Several times now I have been dead-ended, as you are now. Reikan responded within 24 hrs each time and my issue(s) were resolved. They promise a 24 hr response time and in each of my cases, I found that I was dealing with an experienced tech, not some guesser. I'm sure you'll find you are not the first person to have this problem. Good Luck!!!

Aug 06, 2017 at 09:15 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

EPSI
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Reikan FoCal - No Target Found - Any Ideas?

Well, I got it to work. I have no idea what changed, so I can't leave any helpful advice!

Now if they'll just update for 6D2 support.

Aug 06, 2017 at 09:49 PM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Reikan FoCal - No Target Found - Any Ideas?

When I did my adjustments I used a big light stand with a magic arm with a Justin clamp holding the target. I lite it with the modeling light from my quadra Anita worked but unless the target was lite evenly I got error kept tweeking until errors went away

Aug 07, 2017 at 07:29 AM
hokiejokey
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Reikan FoCal - No Target Found - Any Ideas?

I would move the lamps closer to the target. Like right next to the target. You don't need to worry about it getting in the way since the software is using the center focus point to look for the target.

Also, make sure you follow the directions with regard to how to set up the camera. Silly things like not having the camera in the right mode. Also, I don't know if the 5d3 has "flicker" mode but that needs to be off. I went through a whole troubleshooting with Reikan before they found that was the problem.

Aug 07, 2017 at 02:48 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password