New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Lr files in multiple folders

OntheRez
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lr files in multiple folders

OK. I can only have virtual copies in one folder. Adobe's argument they have to correspond to a physical file ignores a core UNIX capacity: aliases. Doubt they're going to change. So I have a folder (under Seasons) called Summer. I put thunderstorms, clouds, etc., in there. I also have a key folder called Light. Some of Summer needs to be in or referenced in Light. Duplicate files makes my database even bigger. Can't do.

The suggestion I've seen is to use collections. Haven't ever really used them. I suppose there's no limit on size, but how would one organize collections of collections? Is anybody taking this or a similar approach and if so what are you doing?

Thanks

Aug 05, 2017 at 07:37 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lr files in multiple folders

yes I use collections a lot . LR is a better collections setup than it is for folders .
normal collections can actually look and act like a folder . the only difference is a single image can exist in many collections (its still 1 image on your machine) if you edit that image in ANY collection (or indeed the folder it resides in) then those edits appear in ever collection .
obviously VC's will have their own edits .

Another and very good use is Smart collections . you set the parameters and LR puts the images into the collection automatically .

In your case you could have a smart collection that looks for Keywords and you would just keyword your images accordingly .

Give collections a go . you can always just delete the collections if your not getting on with them and you won't delete the images or the VC's

also another advantage is if you use LR mobile or LR web (which does look very useful) LR can sync the collections you want to mobile or web .

Aug 05, 2017 at 08:06 PM
rw11
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lr files in multiple folders

if you use iTunes, think of collections as like a playlist

if you are familiar with databases:
it is an index of things in your database

if you are familiar with a library:
it is a different card catalog of books

Aug 05, 2017 at 08:38 PM
OntheRez
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lr files in multiple folders

Thanks guys. When rw said "database index" I got it immediately as a form DB manager. Will play with collections. Likely the answer to my problem.

Thanks.

Aug 06, 2017 at 12:05 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password