FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Favorite studio lighting bag

level1photog
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Favorite studio lighting bag

Can anyone give me some recommendation for studio lighting bag to carry speedlights (3XV860 II), strobes (2 AD200 & 1 AD600), softbox (70 or 110 cm), small light stand like manfrotto.

I was thinking of buying this https://www.cheetahstand.com/product-p/crc-r.htm

Already have the pelican 1510 and 1650 (too heavy).

Aug 05, 2017 at 04:31 PM
jcolman
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Favorite studio lighting bag

I have the Pelican 1510 and can carry four lights, batteries, small soft box and other modifers. Yes, it's heavy but it has wheels. I also use a folding luggage cart when I need to haul my lights, cameras and stands to a location.

When I travel by air, I put my Cheetah lights in my suitcase (after removing the bulbs and wrapping them in my socks) and the batteries go into my backpack (airline requirement). My lightstands go into a soft padded case along with my Cheetah sofbox.

The Cheetah bag you listed is nice but it will only carry smaller light stands. My 13' stands are 42" when fully collasped and would not fit into this bag. I like to use a beefer stand than what I see a lot of other photographers use. I don't trust smaller light stands. I've been using lights (still and video) for nearly 40 years and I've seen my fair share what happens when you have "too much light on too small a stand".

I sometimes work with another photograpeher who uses the Cheetah bag and it can get quite heavy when loaded down with all her lighting gear.

I think that if you think this through you will find that you have almost everything you need with the exeption of a simple case for your stands.

Aug 05, 2017 at 06:53 PM
level1photog
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Favorite studio lighting bag

jcolman wrote:
I have the Pelican 1510 and can carry four lights, batteries, small soft box and other modifers. Yes, it's heavy but it has wheels. I also use a folding luggage cart when I need to haul my lights, cameras and stands to a location.

When I travel by air, I put my Cheetah lights in my suitcase (after removing the bulbs and wrapping them in my socks) and the batteries go into my backpack (airline requirement). My lightstands go into a soft padded case along with my Cheetah sofbox.

The Cheetah bag you listed is nice but it will only carry smaller
...Show more

I do have the Godox carrying bag with Xplor 600 and it fit all my light except for my stand and softbox. I'm currently using the Cheetahstand C12 and it's working great especially when I don't have an assistant. I do have a cart. I guess that will do for now and save my money

Aug 05, 2017 at 07:55 PM
RKTodd
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Favorite studio lighting bag

To jcolman:

I am adding AD200 lights for off camera use at weddings. I also just added a quick Cheetah Soup Bowl. My older manfrotto light stands are 10'. Just wondered what stands you prefer as a "beefier" stand. TIA

Aug 06, 2017 at 01:27 PM
jcolman
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Favorite studio lighting bag

RKTodd wrote:
To jcolman:

I am adding AD200 lights for off camera use at weddings. I also just added a quick Cheetah Soup Bowl. My older manfrotto light stands are 10'. Just wondered what stands you prefer as a "beefier" stand. TIA

13' heavy duty stands are what I use. I've never had one fall over while inside. Outside in the wind is another story.

https://www.adorama.com/salsb13ac.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjw_JrMBRDPARIsACis1HymnQsitYP9bDo4QtuwcybusWhyUV4XkR6vdybCzVn4WFp-2Mz5ERUaAs5aEALw_wcB

Aug 06, 2017 at 06:59 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

stevez32
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Favorite studio lighting bag

I have one of these that I got at a garage sale for $20

https://www.3balls.com/shop/1026417/new-golf-travel-bags-guardian-travel-bag/?sku=1026417-AAA-1-7-D&utm_campaign=gglbase-3b&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=googlebase&utm_term=New-Guardian&gclid=Cj0KCQjw_JrMBRDPARIsACis1HwkKeFRyULpQLTnTJxrXdqy7ig07B4gQwFLDeCMVHHbFl4JxxXvdEsaAty4EALw_wcB

Aug 06, 2017 at 09:22 PM
bcmusher
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Favorite studio lighting bag

Look at this company. The quality is great and the bags come in various sizes.

http://www.standbagger.com

bonnie

Aug 07, 2017 at 04:18 AM
macpro88
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Favorite studio lighting bag

bcmusher wrote:
Look at this company. The quality is great and the bags come in various sizes.

http://www.standbagger.com

bonnie

Thanks for this! The prices look very reasonable as well. Might have to order one and check it out.

Aug 07, 2017 at 02:17 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Favorite studio lighting bag

We have a Standbagger grab-n-go which is good for 2 full size stands, 1 smallish nano stand, two speed lights and mag mods.

It won't hold a monolight or a B2 though.

Aug 07, 2017 at 02:42 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password