New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Salt Lake City Utah the last week of August

311erin
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Salt Lake City Utah the last week of August

I値l be in Salt Lake City for business and I知 going to extend my trip as long as I need to in order to photograph some landscape locations. With some many choices I wanted to know if anyone had recommendations for this time of year about where to start or a list of locations in order of preference for August. Thanks!

Aug 05, 2017 at 02:56 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Salt Lake City Utah the last week of August

around the SLC area, or the "mighty five" national parks and such?

Aug 07, 2017 at 12:33 AM
311erin
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Salt Lake City Utah the last week of August

Hi Dustin,

Thanks for replying. I will be in SLC until Wednesday night and I am trying to figure out if I stay for three or four more days, where do I have time to go, where should I go, and what location would be the best for the time of the year? So with three days in mind, what would you recommend?

Aug 07, 2017 at 11:41 AM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Salt Lake City Utah the last week of August

Well here are some ideas. I am guessing you won't have any backpacking gear? If that is the case, fear not. REI here in SLC rents camping gear.

There are quite a few places within 5-6 hour drive, and you can camp for free at many places, as it is BLM land.
You will have to be mindful of the weather. Monsoon season is upon us, and many of the dirt clay roads turn into concrete - but they dry fairly quick. But you will need to keep an eye on the weather. Flash floods can occur in areas that receive no direct rain. Rain somewhere as far as 15 miles away can cause flash flooding. They are starting to happen now. Also check national park websites, as they will have updates and weather forecasts on the sites.

as for locations, depends on what you want to see. Everywhere will be warm to hot, depending on your description of hot. Zion is worth the visit, but will be crazy; same with Arches. Bryce and Canyon lands will be busy, but the crowds usually are concentrated to the overlooks. There was no parking at the sunrise point (and sunset point) areas, but once we hiked down into the canyon of Bryce, it was pretty quite. Perhaps the elevation helped, or the fact most people don't have hiking equipment?

Capital Reef is FANTASTIC, and is often overlooked. Grand Staircase is world class, and i would actually spend a couple of days there, as you can car camp but be relative remote! Again, watch the weather.

Bear Ears is awesome as well, and Cedar Mesa is well worth the visit. You could do a long loop. Drive to Moab (canyon lands/arches close by), drive south to Bear Ears (valley of the gods is amazing). From here you could check out monument valley, fairly close. Then drive HWY 95 back to hanksville (this drive is one of my favorites!) and get back onto I-70 and head back to SLC.

There is just so much to see! depends on what you want to see/do. Tetons/Yellowstone - 5 hour drive. Great Basin National Park 4 hour drive. Moab is 3 hours. Zion i got to in less than 4.

closer to salt lake, there is bonneville salt flats about 110 miles. Lake Blanch and sun dial peak is amazing and 40 minutes from the airport. The Uintas are awesome and about 1 1/2 hours from Salt Lake. The drive is really nice and scenic as well.

i could give you more info, but don't want to overwhelm since i don't know if you are planning on camping or staying in hotels, etc

Aug 07, 2017 at 07:05 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

311erin
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Salt Lake City Utah the last week of August

Wow! Great information, thank you! Ya, lots of options haha, which is what I知 struggling with. Tonight I went to Barnes & Noble and bought a Moon travel book including all of southwest Utah. I need to do more research, but thank you for the advice! I知 leaning towards Capitol Reef because you recommended it and because I知 not crazy about large swarms of tourists.

Aug 08, 2017 at 01:51 AM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Salt Lake City Utah the last week of August

THE book to get is "Photographing the Southwest - Vol 1 (3rd edition) by Laurent Martr鑚. you can get it on iTunes now it seems.

There are campgrounds at Capitol Reef and you can drive into some of the backcountry as well, as the road is paved (Burr Trail road). And Grand Staircase isn't that far from Capitol Reef either.

Aug 08, 2017 at 02:16 AM
311erin
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Salt Lake City Utah the last week of August

Excellent! I will get it, thanks!

Aug 08, 2017 at 02:36 AM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password