Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Trip of a lifetime and limited in weight.

WebDog
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Trip of a lifetime and limited in weight.

So I am off to the "trip of my lifetime". I will spend 13 days at Mellish Reef in the Coral sea along with 8 other guys on an ham radio expedition. At first my knee jerk reactin was to bring my usual camera bag with 5D4, 24-70 and 70-200. But as I am limited on weigiht... we have to carry a lot on the plane (even if a full ton of stuff has been shipped in advance, and we can only bring 23 kgs each from EU). And then it dawn to me, even if I could bring the camera, constant salt spray for 13 days would not be the greatest thing.

So what to do? I have been eyeing a GoPro camera. What I want to do is to document the boat ride, and how we will spend the days at the reef. And of course how we put up the antennas, tents and stuff. Will the GoPro work or would I be missing something? Or is there other solutions that will not weight a ton, cost a fortune and survive the climate?

Aug 05, 2017 at 01:34 PM
ELinder
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Trip of a lifetime and limited in weight.

If you want stills and video, I'd suggest taking a look at cameras such as the Olympus Tough TG-5. It's made for exactly the kind of conditions you describe, and it's been getting lots of good reviews.
http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/tough

Erich

Aug 05, 2017 at 02:58 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Trip of a lifetime and limited in weight.

Last year I used the TG-4. Although it was well constructed and had a decent lens, IQ is similar to a P&S rather than a camera with a decent sized sensor. The TG-5 has less resolution, so is maybe a bit better for noise. I don't know if the power system is any different, but you will want a second battery and the external charger. Charging the battery in camera with USB is a PITA.

EBH

Aug 05, 2017 at 04:16 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Trip of a lifetime and limited in weight.

Lightest solution would be a mobile phone.

Aug 05, 2017 at 04:42 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Trip of a lifetime and limited in weight.

after looking over the 2014 Mellish Reef exped
http://vk9mt.com/index.php/media/photos
I really don't see a massive issue with salt spray that proper bagging won't resolve. if the radios have no issues neither should your cameras. I see more potential with bird poop though

Aug 05, 2017 at 05:03 PM
garydavidjones
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Trip of a lifetime and limited in weight.

Took my 5D2 and 24-105 on 10-day trip to Galapagos with no problem.
Rocky, no real paths, birds bombing us, etc. worse problem was not
falling.

Aug 05, 2017 at 05:22 PM
WebDog
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Trip of a lifetime and limited in weight.

Never really liked P&S cameras, I had a Canon G7 for a number of years until it died in sub-zero winter climate. Cellphone could do in a pinch, but I would like to step up one notch. Maybe I have to rethink, and try pack my 5D and 24-70, because I know I will miss it if it stays behind.

Not much scenery to capture, but I want to docuemnt the preparations at Cairns/Port Douglas and the sea trip too. Still have a few months to consider what to do.

Aug 05, 2017 at 07:39 PM
ELinder
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Trip of a lifetime and limited in weight.

I thought the point was to see what you could take that was salt/sand/waterproof/lightweight? A GoPro/Olympus/whatever could also be used when swimming/snorkeling/diving.

Erich

Aug 05, 2017 at 08:36 PM
R.H. Johnson
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Trip of a lifetime and limited in weight.

a M3 or M5 with M-lenses, maybe.

Aug 05, 2017 at 09:58 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Trip of a lifetime and limited in weight.

jcolwell wrote:
Lightest solution would be a mobile phone.

And you can get waterproof cases for them.

The Oly TG's are not there yet - as mentioned the IQ is subpar.

An RX100 with an underwater housing?

Or, how about a cheap (as cheap as you can find) used 5D w/24-105 f4L.

Aug 05, 2017 at 11:53 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

WebDog
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Trip of a lifetime and limited in weight.

Sigh... Weight is an issue here, or I would bring my main gear. And SJMS says salt spray may not be as bad as I thought initially, but it is a factor. As for all the other electronic stuff we are bringing they are mainly "loaners" going back to factory for a total refurb.

It seems the Oly TG5 is not playing with the top tier on image q, and not water proof, just water resistant.

So back to my initial question, what to pick? How does the GoPro fare vs the Olympus?
I do not have an unlimited budget, most money already spent on tickets and boat, a TG5 or GoPro 5 is pretty much what I can spend.

Saw some complaining on focus ability shooting low light videos with the TG5, anyone care to comment on that?

Aug 06, 2017 at 12:24 AM
ELinder
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Trip of a lifetime and limited in weight.

I can't comment on the low light video, but the TG5 is waterproof to 50 feet. I know someone who went snorkeling with it.

Aug 06, 2017 at 01:22 AM
Chris Court
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Trip of a lifetime and limited in weight.

Sounds like perfect conditions for a Nikon 1 AW1.

C

Aug 06, 2017 at 02:23 AM
Cicopo
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Trip of a lifetime and limited in weight.

A good P & S that shoots RAW plus it's (OEM manufacturer) underwater housing could be a good investment & doesn't weigh much nor is it a bulky item. You could shop for a used package or sell whatever you buy after the trip making it a low cost purchase.

Aug 06, 2017 at 02:43 AM
bs kite
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Trip of a lifetime and limited in weight.

You asked about using a GoPro and in one of my projects, I always take along the small waterproof video case (Smartree) packed with a Hero Silver 4, 6 batteries and accessories. I had the Black 4 but returned it for the 4's LCD touch screen....good for setting up shoots.

Cannot speak for all GoPros, but this model renders video quality that is superb! It appears to be of higher quality than the video from my D500. I combine the clips with iMovie and it could not be easier to make super videos. I sometimes use it on the end of my monopod, for underwater documentation without going in the water. Or, like the other day, I used it to bring back memories of my teen years, snorkeling while handholding it to document the bottom life. I could have strapped on the head harness if I wanted.

There are options for video with stills, just stills, and loops. There are 3 options for Field of View.

I have a few different housings, along with a Polsen OM10 microphone. It is a lapel mic and I use it while running an electric Minn Kota motor that is right next to me. It is perfect for documentation because on placid waters, I can speak into it knowing that nobody on shore can hear me, because I am almost whispering into the mic. And yet when played back, the audio is outstanding.

Everything fits in this small Smartree case. The Polsen is on a cable. I do not think there is any acceptable quality wireless audio on the market yet.

The GoPro serves in so many ways, including underwater video with one of my small housings. Note that you cannot take the audio with you underwater....not yet anyway It is coming alright. I have a notion to alter one of these cases myself. And that is another thing....I can afford to mess around with innovations without breaking the bank. Housings that are absolutely watertight are abundant and cheap on Amazon and eBay.

Most folks do not think of the GoPro as a still camera, but I sometimes use it as a pocket camera for grabbing stills. So it is inexpensive, multi-media, very compact/lightweight.

CONS:

MAYBE TOO WIDE FOR YOUR NEEDS?: This is a VERY wide angle camera and is not a choice if you want to reach out, like the Olympus they mention above. Check specs for the FOV of the lens as I do not think GoPro posts this so it reaches out and grabs you. IMO, GoPro cameras are ultra wide to wide.

NO RAW OPTION: Stills are only JPEGS.... there is no RAW option. At least i do not think there is. Maybe there is in the Gopro 5.

BATTERIES: When videoing, you need to have multiple batteries ready to switch over. I keep 6 of them in that case but never get close to using 6. In reality, I may only have to go into the second one, depending on factors. Still, these batteries do not last long. As I do, you might also want to have a couple of dual port chargers waiting for you back near AC outlets.

Robert

BTW ........... if you do remain interested in GoPro and have specific questions, a PM is welcome.

Aug 06, 2017 at 08:06 PM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Trip of a lifetime and limited in weight.

I have two GoPro a hero and hero 4 iirc and a hero 4 session which is thinner than the other two. Nice thing about the newer past hero 2 is they can be remotely controlled with phone, tablet or computer. If you this route get extra batteries and a tripod mount if your taking one if not I use the square that they are mounted to from the factory as a base to mount it to.

Aug 07, 2017 at 07:39 AM
Trek_of_Joy
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Trip of a lifetime and limited in weight.

Nikon AW1, waterproof case for phone and a GoPro seem like the best choices if weight is a big concern - the AW1 has a 1" sensor so IQ will be better than most small waterproof options. Don't own the Nikon, but I have the last two and I use them extensively in wet weather, when on boats, swimming, beach days and so on. I'm currently traveling the world for a year and the waterproof case and Gopro have seen a lot of use. My wife and I snorkeled the great barrier reef with just the iPhone7 and its waterproof case because we only had one floaty strap and needed the phone.

You can connect with WIFI to your phone - though that's a hit or miss proposition as its really finicky with our iPhone. Sometimes it works great, other times you cannot connect. It burns the battery fast too, so I usually only use it to review footage/images and delete non-keepers. You can also defish photos and videos from the Gopro with the free software GoPro offers.

The Gopro was also handy during the Holi festival in India back in March, no way you want all that fine powder near any camera/lens without extensive protection, so we just used the Gopro and iPhone instead of lugging around a bigger camera and trying to get it perfectly sealed. I also use it for funky angle shots with a pole, like sticking it behind a tire while driving on a jeep trail, the half underwater shots and so on. Its lots of fun.

If doing anything around water, I would highly recommend both options I'm using since you can shoot without worry and just rinse them off.

Aug 07, 2017 at 08:57 AM
BoneCounter
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Trip of a lifetime and limited in weight.

I got the new Olympus TG5 for archaeological surveys in Greenland. Just returned home, and, while it isn't my a7rII, for work in tough conditions and the occasional landscape and portrait shot I couldn't be happier with it. It got plenty wet both from rain and seawater in our zodiac, took lots of bumping and slamming while getting tossed around with other gear, and kept on going.

Aug 08, 2017 at 10:44 PM
elkhornsun
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Trip of a lifetime and limited in weight.

I would go with one of the underwater point and shoot cameras like the Nikon AW120. These are waterproof to a depth of 49 feet and some like the Nikon include GPS for auto geotagging of images. Most have the ability to save to RAW.

For someone going diving an Olympus MFT camera in an Olympus housing would be the way to go. If the camera and lens are inside the small UW housing the space needed for packing is minimal and weight is a great deal less than a DSLR.

The weight penalty with a DSLR is primarily with the lenses. A MFT lens is a third the weight and half the size.

I have been on only one flight from Guam where passengers were individually weighed before they could board the plane. With every other flight I could wear a jacket with large pockets and whatever went inside did not count in my luggage limit. With my Domke photographer's jacket I can carry onto the plane a full size DSLR, 3 lenses, a flash, snacks, and magazines, and have room to spare.

Aug 09, 2017 at 10:47 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password