Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1      
2
       end
  

Arca-swiss p0 new clamp needed
  
 
kaitlyn2004
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Arca-swiss p0 new clamp needed


prosumerhacks wrote:
The lever on B2-40-LR-M6 can hinder the panning lock at certain angles but this is relatively easy to work around. The holding strength of this combo is amazing.


Hmm just got a response back from RRS
You're correct in what you've heard - we do not recommend our compact clamps for use with Kirk plates.

;( ;( ;(



Aug 07, 2017 at 08:04 PM
prosumerhacks
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Arca-swiss p0 new clamp needed


I've used Kirk plates before on the AS P0+B2-LR combo without any issues. Remember using Nikon 200-500 with the Kirk plate mounted on P0. RRS may be worried about the holding power of the compact clamps especially with heads like P0.


Aug 07, 2017 at 08:20 PM
kaitlyn2004
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Arca-swiss p0 new clamp needed


prosumerhacks wrote:
I've used Kirk plates before on the AS P0+B2-LR combo without any issues. Remember using Nikon 200-500 with the Kirk plate mounted on P0. RRS may be worried about the holding power of the compact clamps especially with heads like P0.


Hmmm! Now you've got me tempted to just buy it and hope for the best. I don't have any local stores stocking it and it's not free return so... yeah.

Apart from being larger and having a spirit level, is the B2-AS-II in any way a "better" design? More secure or failsafe or anything like that?



Aug 07, 2017 at 08:29 PM
prosumerhacks
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Arca-swiss p0 new clamp needed


It gets difficult to work with the bigger QR plate especially with accessing the panning clamp. Don't think there's any strength advantage either.

kaitlyn2004 wrote:
Hmmm! Now you've got me tempted to just buy it and hope for the best. I don't have any local stores stocking it and it's not free return so... yeah.

Apart from being larger and having a spirit level, is the B2-AS-II in any way a "better" design? More secure or failsafe or anything like that?




Aug 07, 2017 at 08:33 PM
mysh
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Arca-swiss p0 new clamp needed


maybe you should consider getting the slidefix system. It does work really great. I understand if you are heavily invested in the universal plates but if not the slidefix might be your answer.


Aug 07, 2017 at 08:54 PM
mysh
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Arca-swiss p0 new clamp needed


here you go, make your life easy:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1503112



Aug 07, 2017 at 11:09 PM
kaitlyn2004
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Arca-swiss p0 new clamp needed


mysh wrote:
here you go, make your life easy:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1503112


Heh I ALREADY have the p0 ballhead though... would be mighty expensive to buy a whole package again



Aug 08, 2017 at 01:23 AM
kaitlyn2004
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Arca-swiss p0 new clamp needed


Got my bolt off the p0 at the Home Depot (actually, the guy there did it all for me!). It did have some white "loctite" on it though it didn't seem like he really applied that much pressure to remove it.

It seems my RRS-supplied M6 bolt fits perfectly, whereas others have said it hits the ball... hmm!

Given that the clamp has no threads, what can I do to prevent rotation of the clamp itself?

Should I apply some form of loctite to the M6 bolt? Should I clean out the threads within the ballhead (how?)?



Aug 12, 2017 at 10:00 PM
sjms
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Arca-swiss p0 new clamp needed


when you ordered the clamp/bolt from RRS did you tell them what it was going on?


Aug 12, 2017 at 10:19 PM
kaitlyn2004
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Arca-swiss p0 new clamp needed


sjms wrote:
when you ordered the clamp/bolt from RRS did you tell them what it was going on?


Not explicitly, how come?



Aug 12, 2017 at 10:28 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 

        


sjms
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Arca-swiss p0 new clamp needed


the reason the bolt might have fit so well is they chose the proper length for you. they have a bit of experience at swapping them out.


Aug 12, 2017 at 11:11 PM
kaitlyn2004
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Arca-swiss p0 new clamp needed


sjms wrote:
the reason the bolt might have fit so well is they chose the proper length for you. they have a bit of experience at swapping them out.


Ah, well I actually ordered from B&H. The entire length of the bolt appears to be 1" - about 25mm



Aug 12, 2017 at 11:24 PM
sjms
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Arca-swiss p0 new clamp needed


Well either way it turn out well for you and that's what matters


Aug 12, 2017 at 11:37 PM
kaitlyn2004
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Arca-swiss p0 new clamp needed


sjms wrote:
Well either way it turn out well for you and that's what matters


Welp just realized it does in fact hit the ball... gonna need a shorter one! Doh.



Aug 13, 2017 at 12:21 AM
sjms
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Arca-swiss p0 new clamp needed


its length can be reduced. the bolt can be cut.


Aug 13, 2017 at 02:36 AM
Andre Y
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Arca-swiss p0 new clamp needed


I used blue Loctite when I had a P0 and an RRS B2-AS lever clamp on it. The clamp came with a screw that was the right length. The P0 has a circular plastic sheet that is stuck onto the top of the head that you can peel off. I had this sheet on when I had the clamp on, because I didn't notice it; I only noticed it when I took the clamp off and noticed that the sheet had curled up from the pressure the clamp had put on it. Anyway, AS recommends removing this plastic disk before you put a clamp on it: it might even be marginally more stable.

I didn't have any trouble accessing the pan control or having the clamp rotate on the P0's head.



Aug 13, 2017 at 11:13 PM
Lee Saxon
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Arca-swiss p0 new clamp needed


These people are so ridiculous. Making us go through all this absurdity because they're butthurt their expired patent from half a century ago isn't being respected?

Nobody's told them how many ballheads they could sell if they knocked this off? Or, I don't know, made their own clamps better?



Aug 20, 2017 at 03:49 AM
peter_n
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Arca-swiss p0 new clamp needed


^ I agree with your sentiment but I think the initial trigger for the decision was the number of warranty repairs they experienced because clumsy buyers were damaging the innards of the head with screws on 3rd party clamps that were too long. They have not helped themselves with this behavior that's for sure.

Its a pity because the quality of their products is very good. They are seriously ticked at RRS/Wimberley and that's part of it too. So they changed the spec of the plate, gave it a new name and that's their new configuration. You see high-end European cameras with a Slidefix plate permanently in the body.








Aug 20, 2017 at 02:20 PM
sjms
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Arca-swiss p0 new clamp needed


you mean their own? regretfully slidefix has been out for more than 5 years now with zero market penetration. and the world turns on. they failed to have the forthought/imagination to adapt. and really nothing is stopping them from joining the party.


Aug 20, 2017 at 02:22 PM
peter_n
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Arca-swiss p0 new clamp needed


No not just Arca-Swiss cameras, I've seen them on Alpa and Phase One bodies in Europe as well. As you say they're not popular even in Europe but A-S have specialty plates designed to fit their cameras. Much like the RRS L-bracket that goes on the new Leica M10; it entirely replaces the base of the camera.







Aug 20, 2017 at 06:23 PM
1      
2
       end






FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1      
2
       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password