FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

Arca-swiss p0 new clamp needed

kaitlyn2004
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Arca-swiss p0 new clamp needed

prosumerhacks wrote:
The lever on B2-40-LR-M6 can hinder the panning lock at certain angles but this is relatively easy to work around. The holding strength of this combo is amazing.

Hmm just got a response back from RRS
You're correct in what you've heard - we do not recommend our compact clamps for use with Kirk plates.

;( ;( ;(

Aug 07, 2017 at 08:04 PM
prosumerhacks
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Arca-swiss p0 new clamp needed

I've used Kirk plates before on the AS P0+B2-LR combo without any issues. Remember using Nikon 200-500 with the Kirk plate mounted on P0. RRS may be worried about the holding power of the compact clamps especially with heads like P0.

Aug 07, 2017 at 08:20 PM
kaitlyn2004
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Arca-swiss p0 new clamp needed

prosumerhacks wrote:
I've used Kirk plates before on the AS P0+B2-LR combo without any issues. Remember using Nikon 200-500 with the Kirk plate mounted on P0. RRS may be worried about the holding power of the compact clamps especially with heads like P0.

Hmmm! Now you've got me tempted to just buy it and hope for the best. I don't have any local stores stocking it and it's not free return so... yeah.

Apart from being larger and having a spirit level, is the B2-AS-II in any way a "better" design? More secure or failsafe or anything like that?

Aug 07, 2017 at 08:29 PM
prosumerhacks
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Arca-swiss p0 new clamp needed

It gets difficult to work with the bigger QR plate especially with accessing the panning clamp. Don't think there's any strength advantage either.

kaitlyn2004 wrote:
Hmmm! Now you've got me tempted to just buy it and hope for the best. I don't have any local stores stocking it and it's not free return so... yeah.

Apart from being larger and having a spirit level, is the B2-AS-II in any way a "better" design? More secure or failsafe or anything like that?

Aug 07, 2017 at 08:33 PM
mysh
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Arca-swiss p0 new clamp needed

maybe you should consider getting the slidefix system. It does work really great. I understand if you are heavily invested in the universal plates but if not the slidefix might be your answer.

Aug 07, 2017 at 08:54 PM
mysh
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Arca-swiss p0 new clamp needed

here you go, make your life easy:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1503112

Aug 07, 2017 at 11:09 PM
kaitlyn2004
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Arca-swiss p0 new clamp needed

mysh wrote:
here you go, make your life easy:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1503112

Heh I ALREADY have the p0 ballhead though... would be mighty expensive to buy a whole package again

Aug 08, 2017 at 01:23 AM
kaitlyn2004
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Arca-swiss p0 new clamp needed

Got my bolt off the p0 at the Home Depot (actually, the guy there did it all for me!). It did have some white "loctite" on it though it didn't seem like he really applied that much pressure to remove it.

It seems my RRS-supplied M6 bolt fits perfectly, whereas others have said it hits the ball... hmm!

Given that the clamp has no threads, what can I do to prevent rotation of the clamp itself?

Should I apply some form of loctite to the M6 bolt? Should I clean out the threads within the ballhead (how?)?

Aug 12, 2017 at 10:00 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Arca-swiss p0 new clamp needed

when you ordered the clamp/bolt from RRS did you tell them what it was going on?

Aug 12, 2017 at 10:19 PM
kaitlyn2004
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Arca-swiss p0 new clamp needed

sjms wrote:
when you ordered the clamp/bolt from RRS did you tell them what it was going on?

Not explicitly, how come?

Aug 12, 2017 at 10:28 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Arca-swiss p0 new clamp needed

the reason the bolt might have fit so well is they chose the proper length for you. they have a bit of experience at swapping them out.

Aug 12, 2017 at 11:11 PM
kaitlyn2004
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Arca-swiss p0 new clamp needed

sjms wrote:
the reason the bolt might have fit so well is they chose the proper length for you. they have a bit of experience at swapping them out.

Ah, well I actually ordered from B&H. The entire length of the bolt appears to be 1" - about 25mm

Aug 12, 2017 at 11:24 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Arca-swiss p0 new clamp needed

Well either way it turn out well for you and that's what matters

Aug 12, 2017 at 11:37 PM
kaitlyn2004
• •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Arca-swiss p0 new clamp needed

sjms wrote:
Well either way it turn out well for you and that's what matters

Welp just realized it does in fact hit the ball... gonna need a shorter one! Doh.

Aug 13, 2017 at 12:21 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Arca-swiss p0 new clamp needed

its length can be reduced. the bolt can be cut.

Aug 13, 2017 at 02:36 AM
Andre Y
• •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Arca-swiss p0 new clamp needed

I used blue Loctite when I had a P0 and an RRS B2-AS lever clamp on it. The clamp came with a screw that was the right length. The P0 has a circular plastic sheet that is stuck onto the top of the head that you can peel off. I had this sheet on when I had the clamp on, because I didn't notice it; I only noticed it when I took the clamp off and noticed that the sheet had curled up from the pressure the clamp had put on it. Anyway, AS recommends removing this plastic disk before you put a clamp on it: it might even be marginally more stable.

I didn't have any trouble accessing the pan control or having the clamp rotate on the P0's head.

Aug 13, 2017 at 11:13 PM
Lee Saxon
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Arca-swiss p0 new clamp needed

These people are so ridiculous. Making us go through all this absurdity because they're butthurt their expired patent from half a century ago isn't being respected?

Nobody's told them how many ballheads they could sell if they knocked this off? Or, I don't know, made their own clamps better?

Aug 20, 2017 at 03:49 AM
peter_n
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Arca-swiss p0 new clamp needed

^ I agree with your sentiment but I think the initial trigger for the decision was the number of warranty repairs they experienced because clumsy buyers were damaging the innards of the head with screws on 3rd party clamps that were too long. They have not helped themselves with this behavior that's for sure.

Its a pity because the quality of their products is very good. They are seriously ticked at RRS/Wimberley and that's part of it too. So they changed the spec of the plate, gave it a new name and that's their new configuration. You see high-end European cameras with a Slidefix plate permanently in the body.

Aug 20, 2017 at 02:20 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Arca-swiss p0 new clamp needed

you mean their own? regretfully slidefix has been out for more than 5 years now with zero market penetration. and the world turns on. they failed to have the forthought/imagination to adapt. and really nothing is stopping them from joining the party.

Aug 20, 2017 at 02:22 PM
peter_n
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Arca-swiss p0 new clamp needed

No not just Arca-Swiss cameras, I've seen them on Alpa and Phase One bodies in Europe as well. As you say they're not popular even in Europe but A-S have specialty plates designed to fit their cameras. Much like the RRS L-bracket that goes on the new Leica M10; it entirely replaces the base of the camera.

Aug 20, 2017 at 06:23 PM
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password